Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Is it too risky to take an Ebola patient to the Americas?

So the USA has taken an ébola infected patient to Atlanta in order to treat him... Isn't this just playing with fire?

A second patient is on his way also.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...u-s-today.html

http://m.sfgate.com/news/texas/artic...re-5664121.php
    Member of the "I'm happy with no flying" Club

no. ebola is perfectly treatable with the proper facilities/ect. what we have, and africa really doesn't.

No, not really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zharikov View Post
    no. ebola is perfectly treatable with the proper facilities/ect. what we have, and africa really doesn't.
    The doctor who was treating the disease died by it. If a doctor can't take care of himself, I'd say what we have here is not your usual Ebola strain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless this is nontypical Ebola, the risk is minimal as far as I know.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

10+ Year Old Account
    Not if you obey all disease transportation protocols, which is what they are doing.

I'm talking about the risk of an outbreak, you don't have ICUs in every little town, do you?
    Member of the "I'm happy with no flying" Club

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless someone french kisses and/or has wild sex with them in the heavy quarantine zone... the risk of spreading is not very big.

Say it with me now: Ebola. Is. Not. Airborne.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

No, it isn't risky at all. Ebola, while extremely dangerous and very very potent, cannot survive for long, and can only be transferred through fluid.

Not only that, but it's not like they're lying them over in public planes and then dropping them off at the mall. The CDC will take every precaution they feel necessary, and unless they drain their blood and start spraying it on crowds, no one is going to get sick.

Don't give in to fear-mongering.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think western medicine has better chance of treating people for this then Africa.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Zharikov View Post
    We cannot cure Ebola. There are no vaccines for it. All we can do is provide a clean environment, hydrate the patient and replace lost blood. I wouldn't call this 'perfectly treatable' by any means.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildeer View Post
    I'm talking about the risk of an outbreak, you don't have ICUs in every little town, do you?
    Ebola is contracted through direct contact with bodily fluids. It also has a very high kill rate compared to its transmission. Combined this with America's advanced medical facilities and an outbreak is extremely slim.

i don't trust it. the fools chose to go over to that disease infested rat-hole, they should have to die there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardball View Post
    The doctor who was treating the disease died by it. If a doctor can't take care of himself, I'd say what we have here is not your usual Ebola strain.
    Nonsense. He was working in a bad environment. Ebola is not a serious threat in the US, especially when handled by the CDC

If anyone wants a big dose of retarded, the yahoo comments on this story are pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i don't trust it. the fools chose to go over to that disease infested rat-hole, they should have to die there.
    Yeah fuck those Americans who risked their lives to help others, we should let them die.

10+ Year Old Account
    This just in: everyone needs to take a basic epidemiology course. and / or play plague inc.

Deleted
    Nope, not at all, policies are in place for the complete isolation and treatment of such patients.

And regardless, even if they weren't the chance of ebola being passed is close to nill in such a nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushima View Post
    We cannot cure Ebola. There are no vaccines for it. All we can do is provide a clean environment, hydrate the patient and replace lost blood. I wouldn't call this 'perfectly treatable' by any means.
    Vaccine work for Ebola is ongoing and promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardball View Post
    Except the doctor was working in a health clinic in Africa, probably with only very limited safeguards. That's a far cry from a CDC lab in the States with state of the art quarantine and doctor safety equipment, like the one he and the other are being transported to.

From what I've heard, there's really no risk of this spreading from those two people being brought here.