- - - Updated - - -

That's the only bad part.
    2 edgy 4 me bro

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardball View Post
    Not if they're all dead.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the only bad part.
    and because its so lopsidedly bad, its not something that should be entertained as acceptable. its about the same thing, proportionally, as saying we should nuke the ME to kill all the terrorists.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    don't throw "americans" at me like i'm supposed to give a shit. they could be grade A high classers straight from the president's ballsack for all i care, you choose to go and expose yourself to this bullshit in some 3rd world shithole, you should be forced to stay there instead of dragging whatever you caught back here.
    How silly of the world to try to contain an outbreak within the borders of a few African nations. They should just let it fester and spread at will, cuz, like, there's no way it could trickle into America as long as aid workers don't go there. A handful of aids workers being carefully reintegrated with American citizens? Way too risky. Full blown, unchecked pandemic across Africa, Middle East and Asia from which USA can only defend itself by entirely isolating it's economy, travel, imports and borders, and even then praying that not one of these millions and eventually billions of individuals finds his way across America's MASSIVE border that is famously permeable? Um, yeah, definitely not risky.

Quote Originally Posted by Wafffles View Post
    How silly of the world to try to contain an outbreak within the borders of a few African nations. They should just let it fester and spread at will, cuz, like, there's no way it could trickle into America as long as aid workers don't go there. A handful of aids workers being carefully reintegrated with American citizens? Way too risky. Full blown, unchecked pandemic across Africa, Middle East and Asia from which USA can only defend itself by entirely isolating it's economy, travel, imports and borders, and even then praying that not one of these millions and eventually billions of individuals finds his way across America's MASSIVE border that is famously permeable? Um, yeah, definitely not risky.
    i didn't say no one should go there. just that they shouldn't be allowed back until things get better.

10+ Year Old Account
    i don't trust it. the fools chose to go over to that disease infested rat-hole, they should have to die there.
    Aren't you the person that said everybody in Africa lived in mud huts and has to fight animals for their food?

Please excuse me if I don't take your knowledge of Africa too seriously.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Aren't you the person that said everybody in Africa lived in mud huts and has to fight animals for their food?
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post28320273

i don't trust it. the fools chose to go over to that disease infested rat-hole, they should have to die there.
    Any logical reason not to "trust it?" Or just unfounded paranoia/ignorance?

Deleted
    Wow... that's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post

Please excuse me if I don't take your knowledge of Africa too seriously.
    well, if you think i literally mean everyone, you're the one with knowledge problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    well, if you think i literally mean everyone, you're the one with knowledge problems.
    We can only go by what you type, and as you have displayed a knowledge of Africa that would leave space if you wrote it down on the back of a postage stamp, it's hardly surprising that people take your comments somewhat literally, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zharikov View Post
    no. ebola is perfectly treatable with the proper facilities/ect. what we have, and africa really doesn't.
    The death rate is still extremely high... we can't do anything but try to comfort.

No and Ebola is not as contagious as everyone seems to believe. It spreads via fluids so even if someone with Ebola was on a plane full of people coughing like madman, those people would still be generally safe from it. One must take to account that the equipment and protocols that they have in places like in west Africa are not the same as those in the U.S. Meaning that those doctors over in Africa treating those who are infected are at a much greater risk of contracting the disease than those who are treating the two in North America. This is nothing more than fear (understandable why someone would be), but that should not get in the way of the facts at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    why would they take the patient to a small town with a hospital incapable of handling the diseased patient instead of a mega hospital with a seemingly endless amount of resources at their disposal?
    I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

The in the second post said that ébola is not a problem because it can be cured in the USA (wich is not, you can give better support so the mortality will go down but it will still be pretty terrible), so in the case of an outbreak you won't be getting all of the patients out. Of course I was not implying you will move your patients to little towns, that's stupid.

To add some context: I'm a doctor and know a lot about ébola, I know the USA standards for asolation (I live in fucking Mexico, we pretty much study our medicine and then go to check USA medicine to see what can be better), and I still think they are taking too much risk; it would be the same to move equipment to create an ICU in Liberia, save the doctor and then it can help to save more people in that place (since USA is world police amirite?).
    Member of the "I'm happy with no flying" Club

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess the people who have had Ebola in Atlanta, in fact, for decades now, are just going to up and lose their minds and forget How Do I Containment or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Devildeer View Post
    To add some context: I'm a doctor and know a lot about ébola, I know the USA standards for asolation (I live in fucking Mexico, we pretty much study our medicine and then go to check USA medicine to see what can be better), and I still think they are taking too much risk; it would be the same to move equipment to create an ICU in Liberia, save the doctor and then it can help to save more people in that place (since USA is world police amirite?).
    If you're a doctor, I'm surprised you're unaware that the health system infrastructures in those countries are currently being pounded into sand. They're collapsing because of the strain from all the victims. They really don't have the facilities to treat those people over there. And even with the best containment measures, if your gear is absolute shit (which it often is there), then you're likely to get infected.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    It's fine. Just don't lick them, no mater what the voices in your head tell you to do.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

An ebola outbreak scare would be the perfect excuse for the government to clamp down and do the whole martial law thing. Juuuuust sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    It's fine. Just don't lick them, no mater what the voices in your head tell you to do.
    But my brother told me that people with Ebola taste like cotton candy and he would never lie to me right?

It's been a fun couple weeks since XKCD posted this:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Ebola is contracted through direct contact with bodily fluids. It also has a very high kill rate compared to its transmission. Combined this with America's advanced medical facilities and an outbreak is extremely slim.
    except ebola has no cure. if a outbreak starts in america there won't be anything to stop it other than isolating those affected as quick as we can. but by then it might be too late. the globalization of todays world combined with the speed and effectiveness of travel today make an ebola outbreak a possibility that should not be dismissed like a lot of people in this thread seem to be quick to do. all it takes is one person whos infected getting cut on their finger for example and transmitting it to a dollar bill and all of a sudden you have lots of possibilities for it to spread. add to that the fact that a lot of people often put off seeking medical care due to lack of funds and you have a recipe for a outbreak.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    except ebola has no cure. if a outbreak starts in america there won't be anything to stop it other than isolating those affected as quick as we can. but by then it might be too late. the globalization of todays world combined with the speed and effectiveness of travel today make an ebola outbreak a possibility that should not be dismissed like a lot of people in this thread seem to be quick to do. all it takes is one person whos infected getting cut on their finger for example and transmitting it to a dollar bill and all of a sudden you have lots of possibilities for it to spread. add to that the fact that a lot of people often put off seeking medical care due to lack of funds and you have a recipe for a outbreak.
    You're right. Maybe we should consult professionals and come up with a contingency plan. Perhaps we should write that plan into some code that they can follow, even.