Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Arena - Going for the face

Has anyone noticed that the vast majority of people in arena, at least the low win tiers pretty much just keep attacking your face instead of trying to control the board or take the value of their trades?

I run across these people the odd time but it seems that its been almost every game today.

I'm averaging about 8-10 wins today so its not exactly working out for them.

I'm just perplexed why people are finding this a viable strategy.

Because it's a very viable strat. Even with terrible rng and the worst arena cards I've ever played with by far I won 8 games today by going face. 6 of those matches I won with 30 health remaining by turn 6-8, and the ones I lost were due to being overmatched by someone else's lucky rng card lotto.

You must have incredible rng and have been lucky to draw better than typical cards. I'm perplexed as to how you don't see this and made a post about it on forums. You didn't notice that you lucked out incredibly by drawing Defenders of Argus and possibly even better cards while your opponents were playing Novice Engineers, reaching into their garbage rng draw bin for some other underwhelming cards?

Quote Originally Posted by fiestatastic View Post
    Because it's a very viable strat. Even with terrible rng and the worst arena cards I've ever played with by far I won 8 games today by going face. 6 of those matches I won with 30 health remaining by turn 6-8, and the ones I lost were due to being overmatched by someone else's lucky rng card lotto.

You must have incredible rng and have been lucky to draw better than typical cards. I'm perplexed as to how you don't see this and made a post about it on forums. You didn't notice that you lucked out incredibly by drawing Defenders of Argus and possibly even better cards while your opponents were playing Novice Engineers, reaching into their garbage rng draw bin for some other underwhelming cards?
    Your seriously going to sit there and say people who go for control of the board before mindlessly attack face only win because of them having incredible luck and their opponents only getting bad draw?

REALLY? Thats what your coming after me for?

Blindly going for face is not valid strategy when your playing right into an easy board clear.

Before I post next time I'll pm you for permission. Since you seem to be the one delegating if a post is worthy.

-Edited for me not masking my aggressiveness
    Last edited by Ravex; 2014-08-03 at 08:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I stopped running Arena because the RNG of the cards you get to pick from prevents any kind of actual strategy play. Every matches boils down to whose rush build will run out of steam first.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravex View Post
    Your seriously going to sit there and say people who go for control of the board before mindlessly attack face only win because of them having incredible luck and their opponents only getting bad draw?

REALLY? Thats what your coming after me for?

Have fun playing MR. LEGEND.

lol...
    He saw your anecdotal evidence and raised you his own and brought up the very real impact of RNG in arena, both in creating and playing decks. And then you insult him.

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    He saw your anecdotal evidence and raised you his own and brought up the very real impact of RNG in arena, both in creating and playing decks. And then you insult him.

/thread
    Yea, lets just ignore the fact that ANYBODY who is a high ranked player always goes for board presence then yea he has a point.

Inb4facehunter.

Deleted
    Yea, lets just ignore the fact that ANYBODY who is a high ranked player always goes for board presence then yea he has a point.

Inb4facehunter.
    Wasn't this thread supposed to be about arena, not ranked?

You keep presenting your own personal opinions as "facts" and providing no proof to back your claims, insulting people you disagree with for no reason, and derailing your own thread.
    And also, what's the point of mentioning "Inb4facehunter"? Hunters are hardly the only class capable of going to the face at constructed.

PS: inb4thelock

It's not just about going for the face. It's about going for the face, when you know that your opponent will hit your monsters next turn. Why waste the damage killing their monsters when they can waste their turn doing so?
    Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Demez View Post
    Wasn't this thread supposed to be about arena, not ranked?

You keep presenting your own personal opinions as "facts" and providing no proof to back your claims, insulting people you disagree with for no reason, and derailing your own thread.
    And also, what's the point of mentioning "Inb4facehunter"? Hunters are hardly the only class capable of going to the face at constructed.

PS: inb4thelock
    I didn't say IN ranked I said high ranked, difference being a person who has proven that they have a good grasp on the game would agree.

The point of mentioning face hunter is because its a well known deck specifically ignores the board and goes for the face.

It never ceases to amaze me when someone is passive agressive as shit towards you and you respond in kind, just without the passive part everyone starts to point the evil monkey finger.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by burninggundam16 View Post
    It's not just about going for the face. It's about going for the face, when you know that your opponent will hit your monsters next turn. Why waste the damage killing their monsters when they can waste their turn doing so?
    Oh I agree 100% with doing that I do that all the time. The situations I'm talking about are say you have a 2 health yeti on the field and they refuse to attack it with their low cost minions even though they are perfectly set up for a consecrate the following turn.

Also had a mage where he was at 24 health and I was at 28 with armor both of us top decking, I drew a yeti and played it, he drew a fire ball and cast it on me instead of taking out the only minion on board. I could understand the play if I were low, or even if I already had a developed board so he was just going for his only chance or waiting for a board clear.
    Last edited by Ravex; 2014-08-03 at 07:42 AM.

I didn't say IN ranked I said high ranked, difference being a person who has proven that they have a good grasp on the game would agree.

The point of mentioning face hunter is because its a well known deck specifically ignores the board and goes for the face.

It never ceases to amaze me when someone is passive agressive as shit towards you and you respond in kind, just without the passive part everyone starts to point the evil monkey finger.
    There are differences between passive aggressive, aggressive, and flat out intolerant of having any semblance of a discussion-which is generally the purpose of a message board.

Only works very rarely, last time I remember doing it was with a hunter which had a really good rush deck. Otherwise I always go for board control.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

meh, when people are doing that, they generally run out of steam and count on topdecks to win them the game, which is lame, but it doesnt work that often anyways, its usually the mage who goes face, because he knows he drafted 4 fireballs and pyro and can end the game any turn now or someone who drafted very aggresive deck with spells and chargers. usually its a bad play, but you get the occasional lucky guys, who just draw doomguard, hit your face, tap, soulfire, hit your face, next turn rocketeer face, tap second soulfire

Deleted

Inb4facehunter.

apart from......zoo, agrro pallies, aggro mages or pretty much any aggro deck which just goes face ftw and usually gets it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    apart from......zoo, agrro pallies, aggro mages or pretty much any aggro deck which just goes face ftw and usually gets it.
    If a Zoo goes for face instead of board, he's a bad Zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    Zoo controls board shockadins win% is in the toilet right now and mages are self explanatory

There are situations when going for face makes sense, and there are situations when trading efficiently is the better play. The best players make the right decisions most of the time.

For example earlier today in Arena I was facing a Pally. He played a Frostwolf Grunt, I play a Faerie Dragon. He doesn't make the trade, instead going face. Next turn I Argent Protect my Faerie Dragon, trade, and basically cruise to a win. In fairness the guy wasn't very good at all, he had Sword of Justice and used it to attack my face not once not twice but three times.

Well most hunters i see in Arena do go for face, and it kinda works for them too. So that's that, personally i prefer controlling the board, but it all depends cause i do have decent success rushing the face and forcing the opponent to trade as well.

Deleted
    Zoo controls board shockadins win% is in the toilet right now and mages are self explanatory
    Zoo controls vs zoo.
    Otherwise its for the face.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    I stopped running Arena because the RNG of the cards you get to pick from prevents any kind of actual strategy play. Every matches boils down to whose rush build will run out of steam first.
    Observably false. Just like constructed, in which the cards you have increases options and which RNG does the same in arena, skill will tend towards winning more.

Yes, RNG will cost you games. It will also win you games, and thus unlike being able to P2advantage in constructed tends towards being neutral. This is similar to how a player can both cost you a hand in Blackjack by playing against basic strat, and also win you a hand. It's roughly a net zero.

Skill will tend towards winning more games.

When I first started playing HS I learned to always trade unless you are using a rush deck. I will only go for face if I have unavoidable lethal in my hand. Otherwise if I am not using my rush deck I always trade. I've gone for face before and it cost me the game