Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by TZK203 View Post
    Tell me: Why would you give due process to people who broke our border-crossing laws with the intent of illegal settling in this country?
    Did you really just ask why someone accused of a crime should get due process?

If I support this can I also break laws with impunity ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Did you really just ask why someone accused of a crime should get due process?
    ...The context, the context!

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    Monopolies dominate the U.S.

That's not real capitalism.

Corporations love cheap labor from Mexico. That's why they will support uncontrolled immigration. Immigrants will almost always vote for the Democrats as well.

Whoever wins, we lose.
    which corporation you know of that uses illegal aliens?

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    not quite sure how America's streets are illegal immigrants streets... like, did Ecuador and Mexico somehow claim them when I wasnt looking?
    But aren't most American's illegal immigrants ? It's not like any of them sought permission from the indiginous people already living there long before the Europeans arrived.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    But aren't most American's illegal immigrants ? It's not like any of them sought permission from the indiginous people already living there long before the Europeans arrived.
    An illegal immigrant is defined under law. Laws are usually established through nation-states (not traditions, laws). Nation-states have borders. The indigenous people did not have a nation--they were a hunter-gatherer society that moved from place to place to survive. Therefore, those "people" you claim to be illegal are not actually illegal, since there was no country in the North American continent at the time.

To further support this, as defined by Dictionary.com:
    illegal immigrant
    noun
    1. a foreigner who has entered or resides in a country unlawfully or without the country's authorization.
    Last edited by TZK203; 2014-08-06 at 05:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    An illegal immigrant is defined under law. Laws are usually established through nation-states (not traditions, laws). Nation-states have borders. The indigenous people did not have a nation--they were a hunter-gatherer society that moved from place to place to survive. Therefore, those "people" you claim to be illegal are not actually illegal, since there was no country in the North American continent at the time.

To further support this, as defined by Dictionary.com:
    Oh legal jargon. What fun. Where one can posit a justification for the treatment of the indigenous people of the land. Just because they didn't fit into a cozy definition of a nation/state/country through rules that another culture created, doesn't dismiss their claims to the land. Funny thing is, borders are a man-made concept. The sooner we can move past this idea of borders and start looking at people as "citizens" of the earth, we'll all be better off. Granted the process won't be easy or quick, and will require lots of discussions, but no one is more entitled to a piece of land than another person. If you were born on this planet, you have as much a claim to its resources as the next person.

A house. In the middle of our streets. A house.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainer View Post
    Oh legal jargon. What fun. Where one can posit a justification for the treatment of the indigenous people of the land. Just because they didn't fit into a cozy definition of a nation/state/country through rules that another culture created, doesn't dismiss their claims to the land. Funny thing is, borders are a man-made concept. The sooner we can move past this idea of borders and start looking at people as "citizens" of the earth, we'll all be better off. Granted the process won't be easy or quick, and will require lots of discussions, but no one is more entitled to a piece of land than another person. If you were born on this planet, you have as much a claim to its resources as the next person.
    We've tried that already.

It didn't work out.

10+ Year Old Account
    We've tried that already.

It didn't work out.
    No, "we" haven't. Although I think you're referring to cultural imperialism, and of course, that's not the same thing. Bringing freedom (read: forcing your culture onto others) is not what I mean. I imagine a much more loose idea: think of the U.S. and Canada border and possibly Europe's (though I haven't lived there, so not as familiar). Where I live, the U.S./Canadian border exists, but the locales are as one. The border is nothing more than a formality, the area is cohesive and the people are one, moving back and forth for work and living arrangements. Granted, the ports are more "defined" in the post 911 era, the region is the same. Of course, alot of the angst in the current border issue in the south is partially due to the U.S.'s meddling in those countries as others have pointed out. Thankfully, more and more South American countries are trying to shake off our meddling and become their own thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    What did you THINK they actually thought?

They broke the law to come here to begin with, you aren't dealing with upstanding "citizens". Criminals claiming to "own the streets" is nothing new.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post

They broke the law to come here to begin with, you aren't dealing with upstanding "citizens". Criminals claiming to "own the streets" is nothing new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post

I think we're dealing with people who are here for a new life. It's interesting really, that they have to jump through millions of hoops to get what most citizens take for granted. They did not chose to be born elsewhere, or reside in a crapshoot. They also don't have the luxury of waiting months/years for a chance to come through as they come from nothing to start with. It's easy to look down on others who were not afforded the same circumstances that you were born with.

I'm sorry what? There's a land of opportunity right across there? Why yes, let's sit and rot away while they find it in their hearts to possibly "allow" us in. Or, let's cut through the b.s. and across that imaginary line and get started on building a new life for me and my family. These "illegals" are doing crap jobs that most Americans would never touch, and while that doesn't excuse employers taking advantage of them, doesn't dismiss that they work hard for a new start here.

So get rid of this pious attitude and ridiculous name-calling of the "criminals" and start treating them like people wanting a better life. These are families with children, not warmongers looking to start a genocide, so drop the criminal label. It's politicizing and an easy scapegoat that ignores the real issue that needs dealing with: immigration reform. And while we're twiddling our thumbs in Washington, real, honest people will continue to move here in droves and I welcome them—because they contribute more to this country than they take.

I think we're dealing with people who are here for a new life. It's interesting really, that they have to jump through millions of hoops to get what most citizens take for granted. They did not chose to be born elsewhere, or reside in a crapshoot. They also don't have the luxury of waiting months/years for a chance to come through as they come from nothing to start with. It's easy to look down on others who were not afforded the same circumstances that you were born with.

I'm sorry what? There's a land of opportunity right across there? Why yes, let's sit and rot away while they find it in their hearts to possibly "allow" us in. Or, let's cut through the b.s. and across that imaginary line and get started on building a new life for me and my family. These "illegals" are doing crap jobs that most Americans would never touch, and while that doesn't excuse employers taking advantage of them, doesn't dismiss that they work hard for a new start here.

So get rid of this pious attitude and ridiculous name-calling of the "criminals" and start treating them like people wanting a better life. These are families with children, not warmongers looking to start a genocide, so drop the criminal label. It's politicizing and an easy scapegoat that ignores the real issue that needs dealing with: immigration reform. And while we're twiddling our thumbs in Washington, real, honest people will continue to move here in droves and I welcome them—because they contribute more to this country than they take.
    if you feel you cut the line, and do what you want then you have another thing coming to you and this is the very core of the problem today. why is usa so weak on immigration? WHY

i came here legally, so did my father, my mother many years later and a couple other members of my family. no, not everybody i knew got to come, many are back there and will never get the chance to come. that is life, that is reality. this wouldnt be a paradise if everybody could cut the line and set up shop. i only wish we were tougher on illegals.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    if you feel you cut the line, and do what you want then you have another thing coming to you and this is the very core of the problem today. why is usa so weak on immigration? WHY

i came here legally, so did my father, my mother many years later and a couple other members of my family. no, not everybody i knew got to come, many are back there and will never get the chance to come. that is life, that is reality. this wouldnt be a paradise if everybody could cut the line and set up shop. i only wish we were tougher on illegals.
    America is a paradise.

Thread over.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post

Because your (probably) white and weren't allowed to cut in line or just claim asylum

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait this is in America? It sounded more like Mexico.

10+ Year Old Account
    They lost the war we declared on them.

Next!