Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Are you getting tired of how consoles are not backwards compatible now?

As the title says. Sigh it's been really getting to me because there's so much stuff I want to try on PS2.
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

10+ Year Old Account
    Extremely. I was glad that my PS3 could play PS2 games, until the fucking thing broke and I had to get a slim, which isn't backwards compatible. The same thing happened with the 360, the first (fat) versions could play Xbox games, but the new slim ones can't. I'd bet money the PS4/XB1 can't play PS3/360 games either.

Sigh. I'm running out of room in my entertainment center for all these damned consoles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lack of backwards compatibility is why I stopped buying consoles.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

It's somewhat infuriating, because the PS4 controller is completely superior to the PS3 controller. Yet I can't use it because all the games I really care about are still PS3 only (I mostly play RPGs).

Nope, in the past there was no such thing really. What is annoying is lack of good new games that would be exclusive to the new platform so people finally make the switch to newer systems.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only own Nintendo consoles and a PC. Don't know what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by YuneKirby View Post
    It's somewhat infuriating, because the PS4 controller is completely superior to the PS3 controller. Yet I can't use it because all the games I really care about are still PS3 only (I mostly play RPGs).
    Umm the DS4 is compatible with the PS3. They even patched it a few months ago to work wireless with the console.

And no, I don't care I actually keep my old consoles. By time my consoles die, they are either cheaply replaced or emulation exists for them.

I would rather my ps4 not have a damn 3.2 ghz monster cell processor in it driving up the heat and lowering the lifespan of the console.

In the future it won't be a problem if MS and Sony stick with x86 architecture next gen.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    The Wii U can play Gamecube games? The 3ds can play GBA games? Nintendo doing 1 gen of backwards compatibility when their consoles are built on the exact same damn architecture as the previous isn't anything special.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2014-08-03 at 05:41 AM.

I won't buy a non backwards compatible console. It's a waste of money

PC is always backwards compatible even if you have to use certain software for some games.

Hell with emulation I can play most console games from previous generations. And use any bloody controller I want. Consoles by comparison that AREN'T backwards compatible are a terrible investment.
    Last edited by prwraith; 2014-08-03 at 05:41 AM.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Nope. Not at all. Played daggerfall on my PC last night. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Umm the DS4 is compatible with the PS3. They even patched it a few months ago to work wireless with the console.
    Hmm, first I've heard of that. I'll try that out, thanks!

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    its a programming issue between 32 and 64 bit.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoGhost View Post
    its a programming issue between 32 and 64 bit.
    Apparently my 64 bit Windows is perfectly capable of running programs designed for 32bit.

When I'm paying $400+ for a console, they can get off their asses and include backwards compatibility.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    The old wii could read gamecube discs.
    the new wii can't.

The wii-u has most of the hardware of a 8 year old console.
    And yet it can't read the gamecube discs either.
    it does read regular wii discs , but for how long?

The few games on the "marketplace" have to be re-bought even though you might own them.
    those are emulated though,. i dont see why a disc cant be emulated?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Apparently my 64 bit Windows is perfectly capable of running programs designed for 32bit.

When I'm paying $400+ for a console, they can get off their asses and include backwards compatibility.
    not just on the OS itself but also between the cpu and pgu on the consoles. getting 32 bit stuff to work on the custom made cpu and gpu for the consoles just wasnt a viable option from what i understand. i dont have the details with me but thats how i've seen it explained on some news articles.

In a way, yeah. Though all of my consoles still work, so if I'm ever in the mood to play anything from the PS1/2, Xbox, and such I still can. I'm sure if I didn't own of any those consoles anymore then I would be pretty upset about it. I'd probably just buy another though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobakanushe View Post
    In a way, yeah. Though all of my consoles still work, so if I'm ever in the mood to play anything from the PS1/2, Xbox, and such I still can. I'm sure if I didn't own of any those consoles anymore then I would be pretty upset about it. I'd probably just buy another though.
    i picked up the killzone trilogy for ps3 recently. the first killzone(hd) still made my eyes bleed. i cant imagine trying to play ff7 again. brain would explode.

It would be nice to not have so many consoles competing for space on my shelf, but it's not going to keep me from buying new consoles. I want to play new games before they're forgotten, so I buy newer consoles for the new and upcoming games they offer. Not so I can play games I already have.

7+ Year Old Account
    I still haven't picked up a PS4/XB1 yet, and this is one of the reasons why. I play a lot of the older console games and I don't want to be constantly dragging out my PS3/360 every time I feel like playing a game. This is the same reason my SNES doesn't see much action currently... maybe I just need to invest in a larger entertainment center. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Its more or less frustrating that this generation launched without any standout games, so yeah not having backwards compatibility is huge considering there is barely anything to play on them.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post

But not a program designed for PowerPC which is a RISC type of architecture. The new consoles are using the AMD64 instruction set. Running a RISC program would require the old software running in a hypervisor that emulates the RISC instruction set as well as the old operating system and other specifics of the older consoles, which is very slow and difficult to implement.
    The whole thread is stupid and made by someone who doesn't understand what a CPU architecture is.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2014-08-03 at 07:15 AM.