Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I don't. It's like demanding your AMD CPU should work on an Intel board. The new console use completely different hardware which simply isn't compatible with the older games. Or is it also weird Xbox games don't work on a PlayStation?
    Chances are you have the older console anyway if you have a bunch of games for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's the nature of the beast. I remember when the Atari 2600 was the baseline standard and for consoles everybody had one.* Then along came the Colecovision... which could not only play its own slightly higher quality games, but also Atari 2600 cartridges. Console policy changed at that point and has progressed so far that they don't even want you to be able to play your old PlayStation games on the newest model.

This is one of the reasons I'm strictly a PC gamer.

*Exaggeration.

Yeah its a pain in the arse I mean WTF why can't my Wii u play Nes games. Totally out of order on Nintendos part even though they are adding classics onto the Eshop, and actually moving on from the past.

Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Yeah its a pain in the arse I mean WTF why can't my Wii u play Nes games. Totally out of order on Nintendos part even though they are adding classics onto the Eshop, and actually moving on from the past.
    Well the Wii U is backwards compatible with Wii games, but for some reason a console that can play games at 60fps at 1080p isn't considered next gen ./shrug. I mean nogaems sure, but less so every day tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be a nice convenience for consoles to be backwards compatible...but then, it's just as easy to keep ahold of old consoles, buy old consoles on ebay and the like, or play emulated games on pc. I'd argue it's not really an issue in the slightest.
    A smart man puts his money on the horse with the best odds...a wise man doesn't waste his money gambling on an outcome he has no control over.
    A blog thing for you! http://yetisteaparty.blogspot.co.uk
    A youtube thinghttp://www.youtube.com/user/Teroseth/

Quote Originally Posted by Bastila View Post
    No, because my last Console was a N64. Since then PC only, which is perfetly backwards compatible. You can play Games from 1990...
    I can't play my gold box SSI Dragonlance games on my windows 8 computer. And emulators suck so much. I can't stand DOSBox, and even then there's no guarantee that you can find any old computer games. For instance, I have never been able to find an awesome fish game from my elementary school years back in 1991, called Odell Lake (possibly mispelled the first part). No matter the spelling I put in, I have yet to find an emulated version of it. I have also tried many emulated NES and SNES games, and it sucked.

Deleted
    Its annoying but its understandable why its not possible. And for the idiots that say "for 400+ dollar they can afford it"... yeeaaaah no. You forget the want to make a profit too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pocky_rin View Post
    Well the Wii U is backwards compatible with Wii games, but for some reason a console that can play games at 60fps at 1080p isn't considered next gen ./shrug. I mean nogaems sure, but less so every day tbh.
    Yeah but thats just idiots. Its the newest generation of the nintendo console = current generation (or next gen for all the idiots). But even PS4 & Xbox1 isnt next gen, its current gen.

The Wii U is backwards compatible with Wii games and I still have my old Gamecube so I can play any Gamecube games I want on that. Nintendo is one of the few companies that still does backwards compatibility, but they also put a lot of older games out on their Wii/WiiU store.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I'm tired of how consoles are not backwards compatible.

I'm also pissed that Sony and Nintendo haven't bothered with getting most of their games on the store, nevermind the high price they ask.

However, I'm still playing consoles and probably always will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really since emulators are a thing.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Apparently my 64 bit Windows is perfectly capable of running programs designed for 32bit.
    If I remember correctly it's not Windows that does it but your processor that emulates 32bits, I think it's called Legacy Mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Torus View Post
    It angers me that they removed this feature, when the hardware is capable of running older, less hardware-intensive games easily.
    It's really, really not. I explained it two times in the thread already. The hardware just can't do it.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2014-08-03 at 11:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sony just released the open beta for Playstation Now which allows you to stream PS3 games onto your PS4. Don't know how well it works or even how much it cost but it seems like its works in theory for people who want to play old games but don't have a PS3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I don't really care. I don't sell my consoles anyway so it doesn't affect me much.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    For instance, I have never been able to find an awesome fish game from my elementary school years back in 1991, called Odell Lake (possibly mispelled the first part). No matter the spelling I put in, I have yet to find an emulated version of it.
    Really? Ten seconds of googling just found me both the Apple II and Commodore 64 versions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, it's incredibly annoying, in my opinion anyway. I still have my PS2 so it's really not a big deal I suppose, it's just annoying that I have all these machines. I really like how Nintendo has handled compatibility, I wish XBox and PS would do the same. I don't have a WiiU so I can't say if that is the same as the first Wii, you could play GameCube games on it, it's amazing

PC- and Nintendo-gamer here, so I haven't really been affected. I can imagine it sucks though.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    What they should do is release a console without backward compatibility so that it can be designed better for the newest systems, but then also produce another product that can be hooked up to the console that allows for backward compatibility with older systems. Something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_Player except that allows for playing of older consoles games on the new console. The product is cheaper and simpler for those who don't need reverse compatibility, but for those who really care it is still available.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Deleted
    PCs are backwards compatible with virtually all older software and most other consoles via emulators. Apart from the price gap why would you be wanting for consoles is beyond me. That price gap is getting shorter by the day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Backwards compatibility is typically a software issue at this point, not a hardware issue. That makes addon hardware like that mostly pointless.
    But, it's a perfect way for them to make more money along with giving the players what they want.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8