Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    if its a new game. No.

A game made in 2014. If it doesnt have Good gameplay. Graphics. Sound and story. Its a lazy release from the devs and i wont stand by paying 50 euro for it. It _MUST_ have all. Some devs does it. So other devs that skip cornes have no excuses..
    But then again. After early access and indie games flooded the market. Gaming is slowly dying. Shit needs to change rather fast

Deleted
    Bad gameplay with a terrific story? I thought you were discribing Mass Effect 1. Witcher 1 is a great example as well as mentioned above.

Not sure why Spec Ops is on your list. The story is great and the gameplay is decent enough to carry it. It's a good game overall.

Spec Ops: The Line is always praised for its "awesome" story but really if you don't like shooters there's not much else it can bring to the table. Okay, shocking images of dead bodies. Okay, interesting sand-covered locations. Okay, an underwhelming twist in the end. That's about it. It also teaches us that if you use a weapon of mass destruction then you can harm innocent people. Well, you don't say?

Not sure why it gets all the hype but I'm just gonna leave it here and perhaps save someone's time.

Depends on how it is labeled. If you pick a Virtual Novel or Point'n'Click then you kinda expect heavy focus on story with minimum to no gameplay, or maybe a majority of quick logic puzzles and mini games.

In any genre that is action focussed or even based on complex combat systems? No. They better do their job concentrating on gameplay. The story may even be god knows silly, I could still take pleasure in it as long as gameplay is great and feels rewarding. This is BTW where many of those indie games that started sprouting over the past few years really hit a nerve as opposed to some shitty AAA sequels and copycats.

Sure you get more money out of milking a franchise to death with always the same gameplay and an ever more epic story, but in the end what the industry needs are bold new ideas to move forward, and those do not come from story in video games. They come from gameplay. It's an interactive medium, and it has to be used that way or else it loses its very raison d'être. Everyone can copy what's already there, refining it is also a great thing, but creating something entirely new gameplay-wise is the true challenge, happens rarely today and sadly isn't much appreciated until others start copying it.
    Last edited by The Kao; 2014-08-03 at 09:20 AM.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Deleted
    the legacy of kain games on ps1 and 2 where brilliant stories , I thought the game play was ok , but not awesome , yet I loved them cause of the great story to the games.

I only care for gameplay and challenges. The story just has to be there...

Wildstar Black Ops - loved by strangers

absolutely. gameplay and story are the two most important aspects of a game in my opinion but story is the more important
    a strong enough story can make up for bad gameplay but if the story is too poor then even the most amazing gameplay will struggle to keep my attention for too long

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Everyone criticized Spec Ops for having generic TPS gameplay.
    Generic isn't necessarily bad though, However while it gameplay wise is a run the mill TPS the story in Spec Ops is amazing, in a brutal totally FUBAR way.

No.

A good story is nice to have and in some genres obviously a big part of the whole experience, but a game that neglects gameplay and interactivity is a failure by default. Gameplay first, always always gameplay first.

Deleted
    Yes definitely! And I don't agree Spec Ops had bad gameplay, I thought it played great!

I played Rise of the Argonauts, which I enjoyed a lot despite the gameplay flaws.

The last of us remastered showed me than no, no wayyyy.

Hell, I'm not even sure the game has a great story, because I couldn't even play it in the first place. :lol:
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Mass Effect (number one). I guess Dragon Age also counts.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    WoW has excellent gameplay in a raid setting.

only in the raid setting though.

edit:

tbh, I'm more likely to play a mediocre game with good story over a great game with poor story. There has to be some really good hook somewhere to draw me in. Stuff like Raiding in wow (for a time), Halo (or whatever fps) with online multiplayer (with friends to interact with), minecraft's online servers etc.
    Last edited by mickybrighteyes; 2014-08-04 at 06:38 AM.

Stood in the Fire LegendaryDude's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes i would. It's: Story>Gameplay>Graphics

Well I played Mass Effect 1 so yes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    The last of us remastered showed me than no, no wayyyy.

Hell, I'm not even sure the game has a great story, because I couldn't even play it in the first place. :lol:
    The last of us was pretty mediocre gameplay-wise. Story is debatable, but a when you mix an "okay" story with fanboy mob mentality, it becomes an "AMAZING STORY 11/10" pretty fast. If you aren't riding Naughty Dog's dick, you'll get flamed pretty frequently by the PS community.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    It really depends. I love story in games, but bad/clunky controls can make me quit a game. Part of the reason I couldn't make it through ME3, the controls and Ui were simply too clunky.

10+ Year Old Account
    if by "play" you mean "purchase a pre-owned copy, beat it and take it back for a full refund", then yes

Infamous Second Son is a pretty good example. The game looks flashy and it's environments neat with some very cool artwork (Delsin's graffiti to be specific). The story so-so, kind of like being a film based around it's action rather than a story.

And that would be fine, if the game was actually fun to play. You go to sites like IGN and they are like "This game is an 8/10". I don't know what values they use to measure a game's worth, but it definitely was not even anywhere near close to a 10 if you ask me. A lot of people who give harsh criticism are scrutinized, but I just have such a difficult time understanding how anyone could believe it's actually a great game.

Graphically, it was amazing. For the kind of game that it is, the story was not very important. But it's gameplay left so much to be desired - too much. And honestly, at that point, I really have to ask why you're making games instead of movies? Gameplay is what makes a game a game - it's the most important element of any game.

But maybe that's just my take on it.

I mean shit, just look at some of our games from the 90s that were sporting sprite graphics or were like megablox people. They are still very good games even by today's standards because of how good the gameplay was. Like, literally. I can pick up Ocarina of Time at any time, enjoy playing it and the quality of it's gameplay is superior to many titles released today.
    Last edited by Gandrake; 2014-08-04 at 06:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emariel View Post
    Assassin's creed's got a really nice story but horrible combat, if that counts.
    The story is mediocre at best and the combat is.. meh
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I finished Planescape: Torment in 2012. Best story I've ever seen.
    But the gameplay...By the ancients....