Thread: Re-write MoP

Re-write MoP

Inspired by http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...0276162?page=1
    While I loved MoP, I feel it could have been improved in some ways. Please try to keep the outcome similar so Warlords can happen and be fair to both factions! Constructive criticism is welcome to anyone's as long as it is presented in a polite way.

Pre 5.0: The focusing iris is given to Garrosh as a show of strength by his new servant Malkorok. Garrosh admires the strength required to obtain it, but is disgusted by Malkorok's suggestion to use it against Theramore. Garrosh still invades Theramore, but decides to do it in the way of the warrior, which encourages many Trolls, Tauren, and Stonemaul ogres to join his invasion force. When it is clear that the Kirin Tor and Blue Dragonflight are helping the Alliance, Garrosh gets his spy Thalen Songweaver to use the Focusing Iris to kill Rhonin and Jaina. However, Malkorok deliberately botches the message to "destroy Theramore with the Focusing Iris," resulting in the destruction of Theramore and murder of countless citizens. Garrosh discovers Malkorok's betrayal, but keeps him alive to be punished later, as he cannot lose the Blackrock now. This causes him to doubt his responsibility, but he decides to keep the position to not look like a coward.

Wandering Isle: The Tushui travel to Ironforge, where they are admitted into the alliance by Muradin Bronzebeard. Their trial of combat is to fight an Alemental summoned by a Wildhammer shaman. The Huojin travel to Thunder Bluff, where their trial of combat is fighting the Spirit of a grand Thunder Lizard. I feel these cities are a bit more suited to the pandaren due to the residents' similarities to the Pandaren.

Jade Forest: Ji and Aysa join the expeditions to Pandaria. Also, the Horde gets Mogu that honor the memory of Emperor Tsao who didn't crop up until after the rebellion, but keep the rule by strength philosophy. Nazgrim becomes great friends with their leader. Hozen join both factions, just different tribes (Riko is too awesome to be ignored). Alliance story in Jade forest remains mostly the same, but Horde Warlocks are not abducting children, as we all know Garrosh condemns fel magic. Instead, their Cloud Serpents are being bound by Dragonmaw Orcs. Dawn's Blossom is also the established capital of the Pandaren and a sanctuary city where trainers for all professions can be found. The Sha of Violence and Doubt's roles are switched because doubt makes no sense for a big battle. Hordeside, there are a lot of references to the fact that the people of Durotar are starving and they need this land. Alliance-side, there is a lot of reference to needing to help the citizens of Theramore recover without screwing over the already existent efforts in helping Gilneans.

Valley of Four Winds: Instead of just having the farm, the Horde and Alliance each have small embassies in Halfhill. These are led by Ji and Aysa.

Krasarang Wilds: The Night Elf sentinels fully support the pursuit of immortality. Unfortunately, it fails just as it was supposed to. The neutral Jinyu settlement is replaced by a Hozen village called Wakkarikk that is under attack from Saurok.

Kun Lai Summit: Instead of Eastwind and Westwind, Alliance gets a Jinyu lake called Inkgill Retreat, and Horde gets a new Mogu settlement called Tsaobao. The Yaungol are allied with the Shado-Pan against a bunch of tainted Yaungol and even a few Mantids from across the wall. The Zandalari storyline is mostly the same, but there are Mogu that help the Zandalari attack Zouchin as well. The lower portions of this zone are mostly rock with a bit of persistent red and brown grass.

Townlong Steppes: The zone resembles the lower portions of Kun Lai summit in the real game (I dislike the current look). The Yaungol here are mostly Sha corrupted, but a few strongholds of uncorrupted Yaungol remain. One of them is slaughtered by the Shado Pan member who you chase into the zone. Instead of PvP vendors along the wall, there are the Mogu's Yiqun Tower for the Horde and Worgen's outpost called Bloodfang Redoubt. Some of the Shado-pan companions for the dailies are now Yaungol, as well as a faction companion for Horde and Alliance.

Dread Wastes: There is a Twilight's Hammer holding on an island west of the Heart of Fear. It is called "The Seven's Breath." Some Klaxxi dailies now involve killing the cultists here and freeing Klaxxi experiments. Lore-wise, the island is purged by 5.1. This is why they do not make any moves to steal the Heart from Garrosh.

Vale of Eternal Blossoms: The Shrine of Seven Stars is now Jinyu themed, although it is clear the Mogu built it. Otherwise, the zone remains the same.

5.1: The Horde and Alliance outposts are shown to be unfinished. However, there are also scores of Hozen and Pandaren soldiers being trained in both holds, as well as Mogu and Jinyu soldiers. Ancients and Magnataur are used as living siege weapons. Domination Point is renamed Bloodhilt Point (Seems a bit less villain-y). Mixed in with the Orc forces that follow Garrosh are some Goblins and Taunka. The hold itself also has Blood Elf arcane sanctums and Forsaken apothecary tents. Lion's Landing also home to an Ancient of War that the Night Elves train under and a Dwarven foundry. Dagger in the Dark is now about learning where the Divine Bell is, as the Mogu already said how Saurok came to be. A Little Patience is replaced by Rumble in the Jungle, where Tyrande teaches Varian how to fight in Guerilla warfare. Ishi is replaced by a Taunka warrior to add some diversity to the "True Horde". The story goes similarly otherwise. When Garrosh sees what the Divine Bell does to his warrior, he is shocked and lets Anduin destroy the bell, but is pleased when it crushes him. He orders his forces out of the area and starts planning an excavation in the Vale. Little does he know that the part of his mind encouraging this is not his own.

5.2: The isle is slightly expanded to house a medium hostile Mogu settlement in the center of the Diremoor. In the center of this, there is a titan statue-forge that is home to you guessed it... statues. A group of Mogu accompany Lor'themar on orders from Garrosh to stop him from rebelling. They issue PvP quests. Jaina is accompanied by a few Jinyu, who want to focus on fighting the Mogu, while Jaina issues PvP. The Shado-pan assault, meanwhile is pissed with both factions for trying to use Mogu technology, but begrudgingly works with them.

5.3: Horde-side, Rexxar actually appears! The Alliance version is radically changed. Instead of just Robocat, Sully and Amber discover the Iron Juggernaut. They plant a bomb on it and program it to explode when it is about to attack. Instead of being sent to Vol'jin, they are sent to some Night Elves near Southfury. They stealthily take over the river from Garrosh's loyalist Taunka and Dark Shaman, then witness the end of Razor Hill. After the rebels take the hill, the Iron Juggernaut comes in, and Vol'jin quietly says "Well... we made it far." The Juggernaut then explodes due to Sully's bomb, saving the rebellion. Vol'jin then says to the air, "Whoever did this... tank ya." Right when things are going well, the fighting force of the Mogu suddenly arrives, having been sent by Garrosh to crush the rebellion if the Juggernaut failed. In a twist, they join the rebellion, remembering that Tsao would find Garrosh disgusting for treating his subjects poorly. With this, the Rebellion and Alliance win the day. Instead of reporting to Vol'jin with supplies and getting Troll goodies, the Alliance reports to their Night Elf friends and gets Night Elf-themed goodies (ex. Instead of Hydra pet, you get a Chimera pet). Battle on the High Seas is replaced by an Alliance-only scenario called "Before Battle" where you disguise yourself as a Kor'kron and infiltrate the barracks. Here, you sabotage his War machines and kill his Magnataur. The final boss is a giant Magnataur with a thunderforged pike. Horde scenarios go the same way.

5.4: Nazgrim and the Klaxxi help fight the loyalists. However, Nazgrim only joins mid-siege and is killed by Garrosh for being a turncoat in an emotional scene right before the Garrosh fight (we don't have enough of those). We are forced to re-seal the Klaxxi before fighting Garrosh when he uses the Heart of Y'Shaarj to control them. The reason Garrosh uses the Heart is because his subconscious if being effected by Y'Shaarj, promising Horde supremacy if all Titan-related races are subdued (He is not corrupted, his mind is strong enough to refuse this offer). When the Heart is destroyed, Garrosh realizes what happened and is furious about being manipulated. He goes with Tara Zhu peacefully, but swears revenge. Concessions are made after Garrosh is put in prison with the Alliance getting Ashenvale back and a large sum of resources. However, the Horde keeps Azshara and is allowed to rebuild Orgrimmar. The story unfolds the same way afterwards, leading into War Crimes and Warlords of Draenor.
    Last edited by Crawclaw; 2014-08-04 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Took some feedback, realized some good points, also decided to incorporate posters' ideas. Credit goes to them!

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt this thread is going to get the activity you were hoping for.

It sounds like you want to change things simply for the sake of change (maybe you should work at blizzard).

There are very few times where your changes really even make sense, and even fewer where I actually agree with you.

(1) Mana Bombs - we saw them in burning crusade
    (2) Kinndy's death was essential. You just want her on because you like the character. Rhonin's death while sad, played a more pivotal plot point in that the Kirin Tor now need a new leader. While yes she was a friend to Rhonin, the emotional attachment was not the same. Kinndy on the other hand was someone Jaina had become quite attached to as her understudy, and she grew to love her free spirit and inquisitive mind. She was minor enough (not to say that main characters can't die) that it wouldn't turn fans away, but the part of her death that was essential was the emotional turmoil that it caused Jaina, that someone so innocent and pure, her friend that she loved and cared for. Was completely obliterated by an unthinkable act of aggression. I would argue that Kinndy's death is more crucial to the development of Jaina than the bombing of Theramore as a whole.

I agree that blizzard could have more "emotional" moments. Particularly the kind that sends chills up and down your spine. I would really like them to kill of Thrall at this point personally. Don't get me wrong... he's a favorite character of mine. But they keep taking him away, and then bringing him back.
    *SIDE NOTE* There was a piece of fan fiction that came out shortly before Jaine Proudmoor: Tides of War, and it was really well written. Jaina teleports to nagrand and almost kills Agra as she really lets Thrall have it and blames him not only for the destruction of her city, but every other atrocity that Hellscream has committed.
    Anyway... side tracked... what were we talking about? Oh Thrall... He's pretty adamant about not leading the horde in any capacity, and being neutral as he really delves into his shamanism as part of the Earthen Ring. So if you want him removed... keep him removed.

But Metzen loves him, so he'll never die.

Point is, at the end of it all, it has to make sense. If you are going to change something (or fantasize about it) it has to be something that made the story better. I don't see a whole lot of your changes doing that.

I'm not a fan of Blizzards writing for MoP, these changes could help make it better but not entirely.

What they should've done:

1. Make the pandaren a more mysterious race, even in their own continent. Don't let them appear all over the island, the vast majority should reside in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms, hidden away from all the enemies outside.

2. When you enter Pandaria, make it seems deserted, with a lot of old destroyed buildings around with architecture you've never seen before. Making your landing party question of who have lived there.

3. Horde allies with hozen and Alliance with jinyu, but when they explore deeper into the continent they come across the mogu, who seem to be responsible of whiping out the pandaren from Jade Forest.

4. After defeating the mogu you finally come across some pandaren, who will explain that their race have been pushed back all the way into the Vale. And the mogu even plan to invade the Vale aswell.

5. The sha would still play the same role as Blizzard wrote, but Taran Zhu wouldn't be around to warn the Alliance and Horde. With Nazgrim and Taylor being sick of the sha inside of them, it is up to the player to lead the rest of the expedition team and move forward in Pandara.

6. Not every pandaren is good, there's also a seperate faction who only want the Alliance and Horde dead for bringing the sha to their land, while it was bad enough that the mogu pushed them back. The sha will whipe out several pandaren villages, which included a lot of children. It is only till the players defeat the Thunder King that the vengefull pandaren will try to reason with them.

7. Y'SHaarj should be the final boss of the expansion, with Garrosh merely a tool where he tries to ressurect the Old God. Y'SHaarj will take over the entire Kor'kron and infuse them with his own sha energy, and the final raid would take place deep beneath Pandaria.

8. No Thrall, that is all.

9. At some point the mogu captures you and Nazgrim/Taylor, depending on your faction. They torture Nazgrim/Taylor for answers where they came from, and at some point they spit it out. You and Naz/Tay then escape, and need to escape a huge mogu city. The mogu plans to invade Kalimdor and EK, and its up to the Alliance/Horde to stop them from succeeding, which means destroying their ships and all.

Maybe my version isn't better but its something I would've preffered :P
    Last edited by McNeil; 2014-08-03 at 08:28 PM.

Personally I would have liked to see the Alliance 5.3 quests involve Ashenvale somehow, allowing them to siege the back entrance of Orgrimmar for a similar but visually different SoO second wing for each faction.

Deleted
    The general plot of MoP I really like, however there are a few things that I would have changed:

> Going back into Cata for a moment I would have created a smoother character progression for Jaina. Include her in the Barren's storyline and Dustwallow having her hopes slowly ground down by Garrosh' Horde. That way Theramore would be a breaking point, not a 180.
    > Increase Sylvanas' role. The Scarlet Monastery Revamp would tell how the Horde is beginning to think about ousting Sylvanas, however in later patches her military might is pivotal to defeating Garrosh so she's kept around.
    > Lor'themar becomes Warchief as I feel this provides a lot more interesting story opportunities going forwards than Vol'jin.
    > The Alliance gets a story outside of the Horde, with the Trials of the High King, or rather Trials of the Supreme Allied Commander. Distrust between the different members of the Alliance is emphasised more and each patch focuses on a different race.
    > Ji and Aysa get more development outside of Wandering Isle. They become the embodiment of the faction conflict, steadily growing to hate each other over the course of the patch cycle. In SoO Aysa saves Ji and in WoD their friendship can begin to repair. However any possibility of a romantic relationship has been dashed.
    > Gnomes. Don't care how but they need love.
    > Baine also needs some spotlight.
    > Rexxar makes it to Battlefield Barrens.
    > The old Jade Forest stuff is kept in, where you crash land in the Forest and are met by a much more wary and mysterious Lorewalker Cho. Cho eventually opens up into the loveable guy we know though.
    > The Hozen are a little less silly. Their barbaric side is emphasised to show how low the Horde has fallen under Garrosh.
    > Garrosh is more honourable and sympathetic.
    > The Sha aren't fought everywhere. It doesn't make sense that you can defeat the physical embodiment of violence by hitting it with a sword. Instead they are defeated through quests.

Not sure I'd agree with many of the changes mentioned. That being said, some cool ideas touched on:

- 'Friendly' Mogu - Would have made sense that not all of the Mpgu wuld have blindly followed the Thunder King. It would have been cool if on the Isle of Thunder, we found a small faction of Mogu rebels who wanted to make amends for the past, realising that Lei Shen's vision is not only foolish but impossible.
    - Hostile Pandaren - Likewise, a certain faction of Pandaren decide that the Shado-Pan haven't treated the Alliance and Horde with the aggression they deserve. They believe that these factions have shown that the Pandaren are weak, and need a true military. Self-proclaimed Warlord Weisheng, a former Shado-Pan, unites disenchanted Pandaren to retake their land and remove the Alliance, Horde and any other enemies. Weisheng would have been a boss of a raid in 5.0, in which the New Pandaren Army try to remove the Horde and Alliance from the Vale of Eternal Blossoms. We fight Warlord Weisheng and then the Sha of Fear, who was behind Weisheng's fear of outsiders.
    - Rexxar appears n Battlefield Barrens.
    - Vol'jin has more involvement in an actual boss fight of SoO. Not sure which one, but it makes sense that he would actually be involed in a fight directly, what with him becoming the Warchief.
    - More Malkorok throughout the expansion. This guy should be as hated as Garrosh, if not more. In the books he is a bastard, and this should be reflected in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    > Lor'themar becomes Warchief as I feel this provides a lot more interesting story opportunities going forwards than Vol'jin.
    Ew.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    I doubt this thread is going to get the activity you were hoping for.

It sounds like you want to change things simply for the sake of change (maybe you should work at blizzard).

There are very few times where your changes really even make sense, and even fewer where I actually agree with you.

(1) Mana Bombs - we saw them in burning crusade
    (2) Kinndy's death was essential. You just want her on because you like the character. Rhonin's death while sad, played a more pivotal plot point in that the Kirin Tor now need a new leader. While yes she was a friend to Rhonin, the emotional attachment was not the same. Kinndy on the other hand was someone Jaina had become quite attached to as her understudy, and she grew to love her free spirit and inquisitive mind. She was minor enough (not to say that main characters can't die) that it wouldn't turn fans away, but the part of her death that was essential was the emotional turmoil that it caused Jaina, that someone so innocent and pure, her friend that she loved and cared for. Was completely obliterated by an unthinkable act of aggression. I would argue that Kinndy's death is more crucial to the development of Jaina than the bombing of Theramore as a whole.

I agree that blizzard could have more "emotional" moments. Particularly the kind that sends chills up and down your spine. I would really like them to kill of Thrall at this point personally. Don't get me wrong... he's a favorite character of mine. But they keep taking him away, and then bringing him back.
    *SIDE NOTE* There was a piece of fan fiction that came out shortly before Jaine Proudmoor: Tides of War, and it was really well written. Jaina teleports to nagrand and almost kills Agra as she really lets Thrall have it and blames him not only for the destruction of her city, but every other atrocity that Hellscream has committed.
    Anyway... side tracked... what were we talking about? Oh Thrall... He's pretty adamant about not leading the horde in any capacity, and being neutral as he really delves into his shamanism as part of the Earthen Ring. So if you want him removed... keep him removed.

But Metzen loves him, so he'll never die.

Point is, at the end of it all, it has to make sense. If you are going to change something (or fantasize about it) it has to be something that made the story better. I don't see a whole lot of your changes doing that.
    I decided to take your feedback and edit the post. I realized your point, so thanks for being constructive. Also, could you link the fanfic? Now I sort of want to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosstafa View Post
    Ew.
    He would have made a much, much better leader than Vol'jin or Baine, that's for damn sure. If you remember, on Iron Juggernaut they sent their soldiers rushing at said giant siege monster and lost practically all of their forces at once because their idea of strategy was "uh...run at the thing!" Lor'themar is a strategist, a level-headed politician and leads one of the most highly specialized armies on the planet.
    Blizzard has forgone the route of taking risks with their stories and has decided that
    pandering to the rebellious pre-teen mindset is a safer bet. Thanks Metzen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingBreezes View Post
    He would have made a much, much better leader than Vol'jin or Baine, that's for damn sure. If you remember, on Iron Juggernaut they sent their soldiers rushing at said giant siege monster and lost practically all of their forces at once because their idea of strategy was "uh...run at the thing!" Lor'themar is a strategist, a level-headed politician and leads one of the most highly specialized armies on the planet.
    Exactly. And more importantly than that he leads the Horde into a new and interesting direction. Vol'jin's Horde is Thrall's Horde. Vol'jin might be a bit less averse to shady tactics, and a little more cold towards the Alliance but ultimately he shares the same values and theme as Thrall. Lor'themar could have taken the Horde down a politically scheming, entrepreneurial route.

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingBreezes View Post
    Vol'jin is an excellent military leader, and that particular scene was very out of place with every other rendition of him. Lor'themar is a decent leader, but he was thinking of joining the Alliance at one point in MoP. That's not the sort of person I want in charge of the Horde. He's not someone who values the other races of the Horde nearly as much as he does the Blood Elves; doesn't tend to mix with them nearly as much as Vol'jin.
    Last edited by Rosstafa; 2014-08-03 at 09:14 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I would like to see Garrosh's character rewritten personally. His descent into madness isn't portrayed very well. He seems to flip flop between hotheaded but honorable and crazed dictator hellbent on annihilating everything that isn't an orc.

Deleted
    Vol'jin is an excellent military leader, and that particular scene was very out of place with every other rendition of him. Lor'themar is a decent leader, but he was thinking of joining the Alliance at one point in MoP. That's not the sort of person I want in charge of the Horde. He's not someone who values the other races of the Horde nearly as much as he does the Blood Elves; doesn't tend to mix with them nearly as much as Vol'jin.
    And what an interesting story that might make for. I'd rather look at things from the perspective of a player looking for a good story, rather than a Horde citizen looking for the best leader. If that was the case I'd vote for Thrall back but he's the last person I want. Having the core of the Horde shift towards the Blood Elves, with the tension that brings would be great, as would seeing Lor'themar having to juggle the greater interests of the Horde with that of the Blood Elves.

And what an interesting story that might make for. I'd rather look at things from the perspective of a player looking for a good story, rather than a Horde citizen looking for the best leader. If that was the case I'd vote for Thrall back but he's the last person I want. Having the core of the Horde shift towards the Blood Elves, with the tension that brings would be great, as would seeing Lor'themar having to juggle the greater interests of the Horde with that of the Blood Elves.
    There's no reason that Vol'jin's tenure as Warchief can't be interesting. Ultimately he wants peace, but that doesn't mean he will get it. He has to keep the Orcs in line, many of whom will be having a bit of a racial identity crisis after SoO and WoD. As a non-Orc warchief, his treatment of that could be interesting, and that wouldn't work for someone like Lor'themar who leads one of the more isolated races of the Horde. Thrall would have a much easier time, as he is an Orc, someone many could easily look up to. Vol'jin isn't so he has to struggle to keep hold on things. He has to defend his people against the Alliance, who will no doubt be feeling a lot of animosity towards the Orcs (as if they didn't enough already).

If something happens to re-start the Horde/Alliance war, then you have a Warchief who would have to put aside his personal desires for peace and actually fight back. Vol'jin isn't bloodthirsty, but Lor'themar strikes me as the kind of character that would simply react as needed, without little care for such things. If the Alliance and Horde started fighting again, he'd simply fight back and I don't think there would be as much remorse there, even with his history with the Alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    I would like to see Garrosh's character rewritten personally. His descent into madness isn't portrayed very well. He seems to flip flop between hotheaded but honorable and crazed dictator hellbent on annihilating everything that isn't an orc.
    Thought it was handled pretty well really. His hypocrisy was noted in War Crimes. He was hotheaded and reckless from the very start, and was always a very proud Orc who cared little for other races.

Deleted
    There's no reason that Vol'jin's tenure as Warchief can't be interesting. Ultimately he wants peace, but that doesn't mean he will get it. He has to keep the Orcs in line, many of whom will be having a bit of a racial identity crisis after SoO and WoD. As a non-Orc warchief, his treatment of that could be interesting, and that wouldn't work for someone like Lor'themar who leads one of the more isolated races of the Horde. Thrall would have a much easier time, as he is an Orc, someone many could easily look up to. Vol'jin isn't so he has to struggle to keep hold on things. He has to defend his people against the Alliance, who will no doubt be feeling a lot of animosity towards the Orcs (as if they didn't enough already).

If something happens to re-start the Horde/Alliance war, then you have a Warchief who would have to put aside his personal desires for peace and actually fight back. Vol'jin isn't bloodthirsty, but Lor'themar strikes me as the kind of character that would simply react as needed, without little care for such things. If the Alliance and Horde started fighting again, he'd simply fight back and I don't think there would be as much remorse there, even with his history with the Alliance.
    I disagree. I think there'd be plenty of remorse from Lor'themar. As you say he has past connections with the Alliance and clearly wants peace. Pretty much everything that you say is true of Vol'jin is also true of Lor'themar. It would have been true of most non-Orc Warchiefs. The thing with appointing Vol'jin as Warchief is that Blizzard are trying to have their cake and eat it to - they want the novelty of a non-Orc Warchief but they choose the race which will still preserve the Orcish status quo as much as possible. It's boring and safe, just lip service to those who really didn't want Thrall back.

I disagree. I think there'd be plenty of remorse from Lor'themar. As you say he has past connections with the Alliance and clearly wants peace. Pretty much everything that you say is true of Vol'jin is also true of Lor'themar. It would have been true of most non-Orc Warchiefs. The thing with appointing Vol'jin as Warchief is that Blizzard are trying to have their cake and eat it to - they want the novelty of a non-Orc Warchief but they choose the race which will still preserve the Orcish status quo as much as possible. It's boring and safe, just lip service to those who really didn't want Thrall back.
    Maybe he'd be remorseful you're right. Depends on the circumstances I suppose. I don't think it's boring and safe though. If that were the case, someone like Saurfang would have been made Warchief. I think Vol'jin has good intentions, and people with good intentions in a world like Azeroth often don't get their way, so I think it could be interesting to see Vol'jin try and make his ideas become reality. I don't think Lor'themar really understands the concept of a unified Horde enough to go that route. He could potentially just be another Garrosh, albeit a smarter, less brash one.

Personally, I think one way to rewrite MoP is to rewrite Garrosh.

Instead of turning him into a 1-dimensional villain, have him try and expand on his development in Cata (as well as explore his weakness of character).

Garrosh wants to expel the Alliance in Theramore from Kalimdor in the traditional warrior way; however, he is presented with the Focusing Iris by the Dragonmaw Clan (as a gift and a show of loyalty) by the suggestion of Malkorok , hoping to to wipe Theramore out of existence. Garrosh is outraged by this development, and orders the Iris removed from his sight, but on the persuasion of Malkorok, the Warchief to keep it around in a "better to have it and not need it" scenario.

Garrosh sends his horde to battle with Theramore, but when it becomes clear that the Horde are about to lose the battle, Garrosh (in an act of desperation) makes the hasty and poorly thought-out decision to order the bombing, hoping to deter the Alliance. A mis-communication occurs, and the bomb is dropped on Theramore, destroying it utterly. Garrosh is shocked and horrified by these events, and begins to doubt his own abilities as Warchief. Instead of laying down the mantle of Warchief, Garrosh keeps it, believing that it would be dishonorable and be viewed as running away otherwise.

The bombing awakens the interest of what remains of Y'Shaarj, who takes a "shine" to Garrosh, corrupting the orc with maddening whispers and promises of power and betterment of the Orcs. This changes Garrosh from being honorable and "noble" to acting more and more arrogant and evil. By 5.4, he is fully consumed by Y'Shaarj, forsaking Gorehowl for a twisted mockery. He eventually gets better after he's defeated, and humbly accepts any punishment his way.

Just a thought.

Garrosh, like everyone said. Would have liked him to be more empathetic. He was written decently in the Shattering, then MoP made him a typical supervillain. I would've liked to see him distance the other Horde leaders in more subtle ways, rather than forcefully removing and replacing them. He should be the character from whom we empathize for making the mistakes Thrall never would have, and through Garrosh's mistakes we see the pressures of leading the Horde, who technically aren't much more than a ragtag band of unlikely races. The expansion wouldn't have been as much about rallying everyone against Garrosh as it would be about fighting the Sha within themselves and learning that there's more to unity than self-motivated interests.

But I'd figure that would be too 'deep' for most people to grasp considering many who play WoW just want to kill a bad guy and take their loot. In that case, I would've had Garrosh die on the spot, no trials no potential redemption story, no escape. You could still have WoD happen without Garrosh.

Taran Zhu wouldnt be a douchey asshole to everyone, who then gets his ass kicked constantly, then continues to act holier than thou.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Deleted
    Maybe he'd be remorseful you're right. Depends on the circumstances I suppose. I don't think it's boring and safe though. If that were the case, someone like Saurfang would have been made Warchief. I think Vol'jin has good intentions, and people with good intentions in a world like Azeroth often don't get their way, so I think it could be interesting to see Vol'jin try and make his ideas become reality. I don't think Lor'themar really understands the concept of a unified Horde enough to go that route. He could potentially just be another Garrosh, albeit a smarter, less brash one.
    Saurfang is an Orc though. That's my point - they wanted to go "look guys! A non-Orc Warchief!" but despite this they chose the guy who is going to be the most Orc like.