Poll: What kind of world would you design?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question If you could create your own Civilization Simulation with Conscious AI...

There is a hypothesis as to regards to the simulation theory that goes something like this:
    ABSTRACT

"At least one of the following propositions is true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation. It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor-simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation. A number of other consequences of this result are also discussed."

Nick Bostrom.

Now say in the eventual future of our world, we will gain a foothold on how to create Conscious AI, they have self awareness, whether or not they can feel joy, pain, sadness suffering or simply a completely neutral emotion is left completely up to the developers.

How would you design your simulation? Would you design a Utopian society, no saddness, nothing negative, a literal heaven inside your "Hyperbox" aka your simulated civilization. Would you give them the ability to feel pain, whether it's emotional or physical. Example: If a "Sim" in the Hyperbox trips overs and hits a rock, will you design them to be able to feel pain, or to not feel anything painful from such an experience. If you get seriously ill or injured, do you want the "Sims" to spend every moment depressed from worrying about you till you are better, or do you want them to feel concern for you, but be able to retain a happy mood?

The utopian universe itself would be absolutely massive, this is the future we are talking about, a future which might use femto-computing which would be far superior to nano-computing. The universe would be significantly larger than the Earth, it would be perhaps the size of several starsystems.

Because these entities would be as conscious as I am now, as the average person is now, I would likely do what I could with the Hyperbox to ensure a Utopian vision. Before giving them consciousness, I probably would not program them the ability to feel pain, anger, or hatred, but the ability to feel joy, excitement, neutral, very mild sadness, and very mild jealousy, pride, and thankfulness. The ability to feel high levels of empathy, love, like, and disapproval when things are not going right. The amount of greed they would experience would be next to nothing. Because the physical earth has a carrying capacity while the virtual world is borderline infinite, I would program them to be content with living in a virtual world and not being a physical body in the real world. If I programmed them to want a body in the real world, we might run into some over crowding issues VS their disapproval of my derision.
    In addition, I would program them to be willing to be friends which each other and towards me and anyone else who would respect them.

Because I do not want a civilization of entities with the level of intelligence of new born babies, I will have to decide what knowledge they should know, I will probably upload equal knowledge and skill into each of them, and let them decide/choose which skills they want to specialize in if this is a practical and safe approach. My only concern is what if 95% of them choose to specialize in one type of skill, it could make people act too much like clones, but hey, I prefer them to choose what skills they want than to be some guy 'me' to command which ones they should get.

The reason why I would do this before sparking, or giving consciousness to them is I do not believe in interfering with once's free will once they are a person with consciousness, with the exception that they consent to change themselves. Once they are conscious, I will see them in many ways as an equal even though I would be the administrator for the Hyperbox. I could consider them my 1 million family or friends.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________

How would you design your simulation? Program artificial resources roughly identical to that of our Earth, and let them choose to either live in peace, or in war with one another? Or would you design a Utopian society. What would your relation with your conscious sims be like? Friendship? Or would you keep your real identity hidden and they to not ever know who you are.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ____________

Other aspects of the universe will include megacities hundreds of miles wide with baroque architecture, roman architecture, Russian architecture and much much more. It will be a post-scarcity anarchy with the exception of myself as a server administrator and game developer, everyone has the ability to self regulate their own emotions, and all shall participate greatly to the game development of planets, cities, and galaxies if they choose to. Some planets/moons will be baron, some will be full of life, some will defy our laws of physics while some will not. There will be earth like planets the size of the Sun without crushing gravity, and hydrogen-helium stars that can fit in the palm of your hand, or the size of entire star systems. These are just the tip of what I will design.
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2014-08-05 at 11:10 PM.

Deleted
    Id create a bleak and dark dystopia where supernatural exists. I mean if I could create anything, why limit it with boring reality? Oh and why supernatural? I don't like faith or inevitability. That way everyone has a chance, no matter how small to live forever and become basically a god.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Id create a bleak and dark dystopia where supernatural exists. I mean if I could create anything, why limit it with boring reality? Oh and why supernatural? I don't like faith or inevitability. That way everyone has a chance, no matter how small to live forever and become basically a god.
    Would it be a SCI-FI dystopia like Megacity-One or some fantacy based dystopia like the dark parts of Middle Earth?

I'd make it as comfortable and happy as possible.

Why? Because existence on this planet is already hell, so why would I put them through the same (even if they are just AI?)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasuya View Post
    Would it be a SCI-FI dystopia like Megacity-One or some fantacy based dystopia like the dark parts of Middle Earth?
    Probably something like the World of Darkness (White Wolf). Sci-fi dystopias arent that much fun because it often means total control, police state and they have the technology to enforce it. Middle Earth on the other hand is a bit too backwards and even though it's scenic, it would get old fast. Or the people start inventing and innovating and after a while it's like the modern world with orcs and hobbits, not to mention PC so you couldn't even make fun of their hairy feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
    I'd make it as comfortable and happy as possible.

Why? Because existence on this planet is already hell, so why would I put them through the same (even if they are just AI?)
    pretty much my thoughts. I would not want to duplicate what goes down in impoverished parts of Africa and southeast asia, Ukraine.
    I think there is more potential to fun simulations in Utopians than dystopians. If I create a planet called "Megacity-one which carries a dystopian style to it, and another planet called "heaven-megacity" which incorporates a utopian style to it, it would be kinda cool to play in such a universe. Because all citizens of the hyperbox can choose to live/visit between megacity one and heaven city, that universe would quality as a utopia, since personal freedoms are respected, as one can choose one or the other, even though one of the planets may reflect a style of dystopia

In contrast, a dystopia, there is no alternative.
    The very definition of dystopia: is a community or society that is in some important way undesirable or frightening. It is the opposite of a utopia. Such societies appear in many artistic works, particularly in stories set in a future. Dystopias are often characterized by dehumanization,[2] totalitarian governments, environmental disaster,[3] or other characteristics associated with a cataclysmic decline in society. Dystopian societies appear in many sub-genres of fiction and are often used to draw attention to real-world issues regarding society, environment, politics, economics, religion, psychology, ethics, science, and/or technology, which if unaddressed could potentially lead to such a dystopia-like condition.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably something like the World of Darkness (White Wolf). Sci-fi dystopias arent that much fun because it often means total control, police state and they have the technology to enforce it. Middle Earth on the other hand is a bit too backwards and even though it's scenic, it would get old fast. Or the people start inventing and innovating and after a while it's like the modern world with orcs and hobbits, not to mention PC so you couldn't even make fun of their hairy feet.

Oh now I get it. Will your AI be happy, excited to live in such a world? If not will you leave it up to them on whether they want to leave it or stay?
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2014-08-03 at 10:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Suffering is over rated, and hatred and indifference is neither more realistic, or symptom of being especially noble or helpful for well anything.

Deleted
    Oh now I get it. Will your AI be happy, excited to live in such a world? If not will you leave it up to them on whether they want to leave it or stay?
    Nah, all those conformist cheerleaders would probably be miserable. Others I suppose could be pretty happy. And no, they couldn't leave just like we can't "leave" our world, they wouldn't even be aware that they're living in a virtual world. Besides, the happy ones need to eat too, yes?

Nah, all those conformist cheerleaders would probably be miserable. Others I suppose could be pretty happy. And no, they couldn't leave just like we can't "leave" our world, they wouldn't even be aware that they're living in a virtual world. Besides, the happy ones need to eat too, yes?
    damn......seems harsh.... I would imagine if you did this in the later years of the development of this technology, like virtual worlds become reality by 2035, and you did this in 2050, I would imagine authorities wouldn't be too pleased with denying them access to other simulations lol.

And yes, they need electricity, though "fake" food can exists inside virtual realities. If we are living in one, the dinner you will have in a couple hours will be just pixils while your real food would be electricity to the universe hyperbox.

Deleted
    How would you design your simulation?
    I'd simulate our planet and speed up the simulation to see how many times would humans as us evolve, and how fast if even they'd advance. I'd use the 'successful' systems to solve our problems much faster than us and to advance us. To speed up the advancement further, some of these successful simulations would have an increased chance of very intelligent offspring.

I'd use it to relive the past and visit interesting places. Walk on the surface of other planets and see events that are impossible to witness on our tiny blue haven.

And I would also simulate gaming worlds from The Last of Us, inFamous, Mass Effect and so on to play them.
    Last edited by mmoc1c1d6a1668; 2014-08-05 at 10:13 AM.

Deleted
    You have to have contrast, else everything will be grey. You can't have happy without sad, light without dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    You have to have contrast, else everything will be grey. You can't have happy without sad, light without dark.
    There is plenty of diversity for emotions between 0-10, -10 - 0 I consider negatives, IDK of feeling sympathy counts as mild sadness or not so I will consider it a level 0, there is joy neutral, pride love, like content, I don't think we need any sadness beyond sympathy, unless you desire to experience it of course, in which humans living inside simulations should have access to play with their own emotions with literally a press of a few virtual buttons if they desire, well at least in my future simulations. but I doubt many people would want to see what it feels like for long periods of time. I'd say I am only against involuntary sadness and anger (genuine mild sympathy, as one of the few exceptions), I believe that people ought to have the ability to artificially decrease their negative emotions if they desire.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Summoner View Post
    I'd simulate our planet and speed up the simulation to see how many times would humans as us evolve, and how fast if even they'd advance. I'd use the 'successful' systems to solve our problems much faster than us and to advance us. To speed up the advancement further, some of these successful simulations would have an increased chance of very intelligent offspring.

I'd use it to relive the past and visit interesting places. Walk on the surface of other planets and see events that are impossible to witness on our tiny blue haven.

And I would also simulate gaming worlds from The Last of Us, inFamous, Mass Effect and so on to play them.
    I would imagine creating multiple worlds as well, but if each individual were to create such complex worlds, hopefully we will be able to upgrade our brains so we can do so in a timely manner. I would love to be able to flip through simulations like websites.

With femto computing or and anything beyond it, we might just be able to simulate an entire galaxy with a base ball sized chunk of computation, and the electricity of a 60 watt lightbulb.

Beyond femto
    http://hplusmagazine.com/2011/01/10/theres-plenty-more-room-bottom-beyond-nanotech-femtotech/

7+ Year Old Account
    Nah.

My reality would be the same as the one we have on Earth, except:

* Islam would not exist. Other religions would be downplayed to be irrelevant.

* Every corporate manager and CEO would be nice to their workers, and if a worker works harder than someone next to... it, he would get a pay raise after a certain amount of time.

* No global conflicts. We'd live in peace (not saying arguments wouldn't arise, but the people would be made sure that they cannot harm each other willingly).

* People wouldn't seek to cheat, or steal, or whatever it is that flaws us. I'd get rid of a few bad qualities.

My utopia.

*All organized religions are banned. A group of government "Inquisitors" will be organized to make sure religion is being kept on the down low.

*Obligatory and government funded education up to college. Refusing to go to school for any reason other than sickness is illegal.

*Vagrancy is illegal. Special government fundend centers will be provided to house and feed the poor and the homeless. Those found sleeping in the streets or begging will be sanctioned.

*Caps on wealth. A person would not be allowed to amass wealth past a certain point, a high point in any case, everything past that point is confiscated by the government. The fact the world has 400 billionairs while other regions starve is disgusting.

*World peace is enforced. The world government will dispatch security forces to any region on the globe. The general in charge will have the power to overrule any local government and do everything necesarry to ensure the conflict is extinguished.

*Governments around the globe act as governors and are bound to the central world government. They are ellected democratically up to a point - a list of pre-approved candidates are subjected for public voting.

*Firearms are forbidden to be owned by citizens. Only government agents and law enforcement agencies have access to firearms. Citizens still have access to non-lethal means of defense.
    Last edited by Keyboard Champion; 2014-08-05 at 07:13 PM.

Deleted
    If we could create our own world that would mean we could very likely dive into that world and live a life there, by temporarily blocking our memories and take place as one of the inhabitants. So life after death would actually mean waking up to reality and gaining back the original memories buffed up with the memories of that lifespan we just lived. Similar to inception. Who knows how deep is this simulation. We are probably already living in a simulation that exists in another simulation.

If I could create my own world I would design it to be peaceful, a little more technologically advanced than this civilization. Has way less population, but all the places are more different. Unlike now when you can just drive through a hundred towns and see about the same scenery. I would like a more shaken up, exciting world like in a fantasy game. Nature, technology, elementals and whatever mixed. Have different intelligent humanoid races too. Draenei from WoW would be there and some kind of catgirl race too :P

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard Champion View Post
    My utopia.

*All organized religions are banned. A group of government "Inquisitors" will be organized to make sure religion is being kept on the down low.

*Obligatory and government funded education up to college. Refusing to go to school for any reason other than sickness is illegal.

*Vagrancy is illegal. Special government fundend centers will be provided to house and feed the poor and the homeless. Those found sleeping in the streets or begging will be sanctioned.

*Caps on wealth. A person would not be allowed to amass wealth past a certain point, a high point in any case, everything past that point is confiscated by the government. The fact the world has 400 billionairs while other regions starve is disgusting.

*World peace is enforced. The world government will dispatch security forces to any region on the globe. The general in charge will have the power to overrule any local government and do everything necesarry to ensure the conflict is extinguished.

*Governments around the globe act as governors and are bound to the central world government. They are ellected democratically up to a point - a list of pre-approved candidates are subjected for public voting.

*Firearms are forbidden to be owned by citizens. Only government agents and law enforcement agencies have access to firearms. Citizens still have access to non-lethal means of defense.
    Dictatorship

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sicc View Post
    If we could create our own world that would mean we could very likely dive into that world and live a life there, by temporarily blocking our memories and take place as one of the inhabitants. So life after death would actually mean waking up to reality and gaining back the original memories buffed up with the memories of that lifespan we just lived. Similar to inception. Who knows how deep is this simulation. We are probably already living in a simulation that exists in another simulation.

If I could create my own world I would design it to be peaceful, a little more technologically advanced than this civilization. Has way less population, but all the places are more different. Unlike now when you can just drive through a hundred towns and see about the same scenery. I would like a more shaken up, exciting world like in a fantasy game. Nature, technology, elementals and whatever mixed. Have different intelligent humanoid races too. Draenei from WoW would be there and some kind of catgirl race too :P
    Yeah I got this idea of hyper virtual realities from inception, the story was... not really that interesting but the concepts were brilliant.
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2014-08-05 at 10:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard Champion View Post
    My utopia.

Unless you lobotomize the citizens, thats gonna go bottoms up in a decade. Trying to force your ideology on everyone would only grow resentment till people rise up and start a revolution. That or people will just become poorer till they start dying of starvation. If your simulation is realistic and you don't magically create food virtual food that is.

Unless you lobotomize the citizens, thats gonna go bottoms up in a decade. Trying to force your ideology on everyone would only grow resentment till people rise up and start a revolution. That or people will just become poorer till they start dying of starvation. If your simulation is realistic and you don't magically create food virtual food that is.
    I would imagine that Keyboard Champ would make sure to program the computers to not cause any trouble before 'sparking' them any kind of consciousness. But if you create perfect people with perfect personalities, that would not be "realistic" but rather "idealistic"
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2014-08-05 at 10:24 PM.

I would program it to know whether or not it's a simulation so that it never had to suffer having to put up with woo-hoo pseudoscientific garbage.

Deleted
    I would imagine that Keyboard Champ would make sure to program them to not cause any trouble before giving them any kind of consciousness.
    They wouldn't have free will then.. would they even be conscious if they can't think outside their programming? I mean look at human societies, even though we have laws, we still have all kinds of ideas floating around and people who share them. Some of them just aren't popular enough to make any kind of impact (for example lets start a devil worshiping cannibal society, whos gonna want that?).

However you can't program people "nice" and charitable and have them conscious at the same time because there will be always outliers, people who aren't that nice and take advantage of the system and profit from it.. in time, it's just going to blow it apart. As for the religion ban, it's been tried but when has it ever worked?