Poll: Do you donate to charity? Or voluntary service?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alt-ithist View Post
    I donate to The Red Cross and to some local libraries.
    What do you do at libraries? Sounds fun.

Deleted
    I donate to specific project not organisations.

Charities become self perpetuating. unless they have a clearly defined goal, success criteria, and monitoring, and shut down schedules, I dont support them.

10+ Year Old Account
    $5.00 if I was financially really strong.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I'm a member and donor to Amnesty. When I'm finished with my engineering master and get some money flowing I'll join a couple of others that I think are doing important stuff, such as Greenpeace and the red cross. I also would like to become a tiger sponsor.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only do enough to make ends meet and when I do get some extra cash I either buy myself something or spend it on my nephews...but if I had money I couldn't bring myself to give it to charity, because somewhere in the back of my mind I think there is some slimy folks pocketing it. I do give money to bums when I can.

15+ Year Old Account
    I donate stuff, not money, and I donate it to charities that I know reach their destination.

I am talking about local people who travel to areas to hand out the stuff people give away, and locals who help other poor locals getting stuff they need, or locals who has lost everything in a fire etc. It can be anything really. Clothes, food, a bike for a child, toys, clothes for adults, bed linen etc. Heck I even read today someone gave away a firetruck to the same area I donate to. I mean a real firetruck.

I only donate to animal charities such as an endangered species or local shelter. I volunteer for the local shelter in my area and bring them dog food occasionally.

I give some money to charity, but I don't have the time to volunteer. 50 hour a week job and I need to help my wife quite a bit, with her medical issues.

I give exclusively to my church, there are several community relief programs that my church runs out of the building (food giveaway, disaster homeless shelter working with the Red Cross, blood drives, yearly school supplies giveaway and other things), that and I consider Christian evangelism to be important to society.

Only donate Caritas, they use 99% of all donations to actually help people, a lot of other charaties dont even get close to that number.

15+ Year Old Account
    After working with collecting money for various charities and getting insight into their spending when I was in school I'll never donate money to any charity, but I do plan to volunteer locally. Tried to do so this summer but surprisingly they had already filled up their roster by the time I contacted them.

Not a huge city though, so there's only one organization that I feel is an option, the rest are all Christian charities. Nothing wrong with that principally, but a big part of the programs is spreading the word of god to everyone you help, and I'm just not comfortable doing that.

Oh yeah, I'm an organ donor if that counts.
    Last edited by Revi; 2014-08-04 at 10:17 PM.

Why yes. It might not be seen as a charity, but going by the number of people that do it, it might as well be one.

I am an organ donor. That includes organs that are no good (which in my case are probably over 90%) and donate them for research.

I shall be a floating brain in a jar, so 1000 years from now, I can watch all the Anime I have missed since.

10+ Year Old Account
    10€ / month to an organization to help people with Trisomy 21.

It is not much money, but I can't afford more, since I finished my university this year and don't have job yet.
    | Realm First Monk | Dragonflight Beta Tester ( ty Blizzard! ) |

People on MMO-C are a lot more charitable than I thought, there are some pretty damn decent people here.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather keep my money and begin the charity at home. Throwing money at things never seemed to work out in the first place and I'd rather not volunteer.

i donate small amounts now and then, i donated a plex for the plex for good a few years ago in eve, i've bought a humble bundle or 2, usually leave my spare change from the shop in the penny collections. bought a tera key last week and let g2a keep the extra £1 or so for some charity thing.

but full monthly donations no thanks, my folks donated to the red cross for a while and they'd phone up and ask for more, sort of takes the piss a bit. 'so we heard you like donating how about donating while you donate'. funnily enough if they didn't come across as pushy they would of probably kept getting donations.

i'd like to think it makes a difference but it most likely pays someones wage. whether that person getting paid is actually doing anything useful is anyones guess.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-08-05 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    i donate small amounts now and then, i donated a plex for the plex for good a few years ago in eve, i've bought a humble bundle or 2, usually leave my spare change from the shop in the penny collections. bought a tera key last week and let g2a keep the extra £1 or so for some charity thing.

but full monthly donations no thanks, my folks donated to the red cross for a while and they'd phone up and ask for more, sort of takes the piss a bit. 'so we heard you like donating how about donating while you donate'. funnily enough if they didn't come across as pushy they would of probably kept getting donations.
    I fucking hate twats like that lol. Dumbfuck retards who keep asking for more donations, dumbasses don't know people might be turned away from that. Being a dick to their donors is such unprofessionalism its unbelievable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    I'd rather keep my money and begin the charity at home. Throwing money at things never seemed to work out in the first place and I'd rather not volunteer.
    The thing is...you can always use the money elsewhere. Even if you don't need it right now, in my opinion, it's still better to put it on a savings account for later.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasuya View Post
    None of them? = (
    I've heard too many bad stories to trust any of them. Even the UN humanitarian aid doesn't guarantee that it actually reaches the people that are in need if there are warlords hogging those shipments. I used to give money for an organisation that took care of abandoned pets when I was younger... and that only because I once had a pretty girl make me sign a petition of some sort. I never realised I signed up to pay for shit... and getting out of that was worse than getting out of the worst insurance contract you've ever seen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daez View Post
    My partner and I give about $25,000-$35,000 (USD) a year to charity. I also put in about 100+ volunteer hours a year. I'm part of the outreach term for my school's honor society. I work with the local humane society, a local ecology center (last years volunteer of the year), a local theater and my church has a community outreach program that surpasses most large churches in the area. I volunteer mostly for special events and work mostly with people.

- - - Updated - - -

Then obviously you have never done the research in your local community to see what charities are doing and how you can help... kind of sad really! I personally do not donate to any nationally run charities.
    I live in Germany, the need for local charity is really low here. The few homeless we have are taken care of by smart charities and the rest gets on fine with state wellfare. When you say charity, I think of bigger things... like feeding Africa... I don't think throwing my old clothes into a charity container is actually charity, it's just a special type of trash for me.

Also, I don't have time to volunteer. I have to make a living. Charity and volunteering is something that is easy when you have 20-30k a year to throw away, it's not when it is just about the sum you earn per year.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I have a few monthly subscription totalling about $80 a month to WWF aus, WIRES, homeless swags, down syndrome nsw as well as several one off donations to various agencies. I volunteer my time and petrol for transport for local elderly and disability services every other weekend and I volunteer cleaning and spending time with the animals at the local shelter when the need extra hands. I'm an organ donor* and shortly will be allowed to start donating blood again. Use to donate whole blood every 3/4 months (can't remember which is the limit) and plasma/platelets every 3/4 weeks. Being O negative I've always felt it was more important for me to donate.

This is all due the the fact during my teens/early 20's I was nothing short of an absolute cunt who acted selfishly at every chance and was a drain on the people and the society around me. So now I'm trying to make up for all that.

*Fun fact, also an organ receiver so I'd be an absolute hypocrite if I wasn't a donor. Not that I wasn't prior to needing an organ.

Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    i try not to but barely a day goes by without a colleague coming up and asking me to sponsor them for a charity football game/sack race/sleepover.Get your own money, assholes.
    Your post plus your sig makes for a great combo there.

I personally donate to the SPCA, UNICEF, Red Cross, a handful of smaller charities/foundations, and my preferred political party on a monthly basis, and other charities (primarily Cancer, Alzheimer's and Huntington's research) once or twice a year. I make a lot, so it's only fair that I use some to support others, especially those who can't help themselves. I've also been a Salvation Army bell ringer until I found out their position on non-traditional sexual affiliations, and have manned voting booths during election time.