Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Of men & mice...

So my logitech has once again filed due to the infamous "cable tension" problem. As such, I think it's time to find another brand of mouse. The problem is that there's no where to go to try out mice anymore, and these things are stupidly expensive for a good one.

Requirements are as follows...
    1. I have large hands, so I need a mouse with a fair amount of heft.
    2. High resolution, 3k dpi or higher.
    3. On the fly DPI adjustment buttons.
    4. Must use standard drivers. I do NOT want to have to install some god forsaken "gaming" control panel.
    5. In addition to being good for PC games, it must work on a Macintosh and Linux system.

As a stop gap measure I've ordered a Perixx MX-1800B.

It's about right in terms of features, but while the price is hard to beat they've got some quality control problems.

Anyone got any other recommendations?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    I would say Naga but I'd just be kidding myself, that synapse control panel bullshit has driven me insane (especially when you also use a deathstalker ultimate, which has synapse as mandatory to even use the damn numpad, with a required active internet connection to boot)

Personally I'd go with the Mad Catz R.A.T.9, 6.4k dpi, wired/wireless combo, dpi settings on mouse and some other bells and whistles (works on mac, but sadly not linux =( )

http://www.amazon.com/Mad-Catz-R-A-T...SIN=B009PHSDBM

15+ Year Old Account
    Corsair M45. I switched to it from an old logitech mouse and so far it's been flawless. The sensor is excellent and all the buttons feel robust and accessible (2 extra buttons on the side + DPI switch on top next to the scroll wheel). It also fits nicely on my hand, which is of course personal. Nonetheless, couldn't be more happier with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Corsair M45 looks promising (I like their adjustable weight system), the Mad Catz unfortunately looks unnecessarily complex. Not saying it's not good, but at that price I would need to try one out first.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    OP, for pure dirverless, look at the Fenix Nascita

i used this for a few months at work, but its a bit big for me and i prefer a claw hybrid rather than a palm

otherwise the EVGA Torq is not bad, but my personal favorite is still the Steelseries Sensei

the Rival is also very good (amazingly accurate optical sensor, my vote for the best sensor on the market)

Quote Originally Posted by khali View Post
    I would say Naga but I'd just be kidding myself, that synapse control panel bullshit has driven me insane (especially when you also use a deathstalker ultimate, which has synapse as mandatory to even use the damn numpad, with a required active internet connection to boot)

Personally I'd go with the Mad Catz R.A.T.9, 6.4k dpi, wired/wireless combo, dpi settings on mouse and some other bells and whistles (works on mac, but sadly not linux =( )

http://www.amazon.com/Mad-Catz-R-A-T...SIN=B009PHSDBM
    i wouldn't, every RAT i've seen and i mean EVERY one i've seen has died after about 10 months, and im not talking about 1 or 2 here, every one i've bought (3) as well as the ones friends have bought are all dead, all of them

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been super happy with my Mionix Naos 3200. It's a giant ergonomic mouse that even Lana could use.

It doesn't have specific DPI ranges, however it does have 3 modes of speed. Two thumb buttons.

I switched to that after going through about four Logitech M705 mice due to the button click failure problem they're apparently prone to.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I switched to that after going through about four Logitech M705 mice due to the button click failure problem they're apparently prone to.
    Logitechs be breakin'... I ordered a replacement cord for my G500, but given that it's shipping from China I don't expect it anything soon.

Some good suggestions here, I just hate dropping that much money on something that I may simply not like the feel of. Very frustrating. Perhaps the Perixx MX-1800B will work out for me however, at 20$ it seemed worth the gamble.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post

Some good suggestions here, I just hate dropping that much money on something that I may simply not like the feel of. Very frustrating. Perhaps the Perixx MX-1800B will work out for me however, at 20$ it seemed worth the gamble.
    based on the picture, it looks like a cheap knockoff of the Corsair M40/M60/M65 (they also seem to be failing long term :/ )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    based on the picture, it looks like a cheap knockoff of the Corsair M40/M60/M65 (they also seem to be failing long term :/ )
    There are similarities and Perixx has been accused of such in the past. But there are major differences as well. For one, the Perixx has onboard memory to store macros etc, so once programmed you don't have to load the manager software and can just use HID drivers. For another, the Perixx is made from aluminum. But the biggest difference is the price... I'll take a 20$ gamble, but once the price starts getting above 60$ I really want to hold the thing before I buy it.

Worse case, I can use the Perixx to see what the Corsair feels like.

- - - Updated - - -

Perixx arrives tomorrow, yay Amazon.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a Fry's nearby, they might have a lot of those stuff. I was recommended the Naos and checked it out there.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    If you have a Fry's nearby, they might have a lot of those stuff. I was recommended the Naos and checked it out there.
    Naw, good three hour trip to Frys. And given their policy of repackaging returned merchandise I don't like to shop there. Granted I could browse and then order from Amazon while they watch. That could be fun...

-Kujako-

15+ Year Old Account
    As much bad as EU has caused there's also something good. Everything you order online, without a chance to try out, has 14 days return policy. No questions asked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Got the Perixx MX-1800B, and it's frankly not too bad. I would prefer it to be a bit heaver and some of the bits are a little "plastic" feeling, but for $20 it seems like a deal.

-Kujako-

Got the Perixx MX-1800B, and it's frankly not too bad. I would prefer it to be a bit heaver and some of the bits are a little "plastic" feeling, but for $20 it seems like a deal.
    That's a very interesting assessment given my own experience with the Corsair M60 & M65 which the Perixx MX-1800B blatantly shadows. The Corsair side of that design felt extremely hefty and sturdy. Nothing about either of the mice felt like cheap plastic save for the damned sniper button.

Still, I was not a fan of the wheel on both mice. Ever since I picked up a Steelseries Sensei Raw for $25 (Amazing deal at my local BestBuy at the time), I have fallen in love. This is the first mouse to win me over since the days of my Logitech MX518.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceG87 View Post
    That's a very interesting assessment given my own experience with the Corsair M60 & M65 which the Perixx MX-1800B blatantly shadows. The Corsair side of that design felt extremely hefty and sturdy. Nothing about either of the mice felt like cheap plastic save for the damned sniper button.

Still, I was not a fan of the wheel on both mice. Ever since I picked up a Steelseries Sensei Raw for $25 (Amazing deal at my local BestBuy at the time), I have fallen in love. This is the first mouse to win me over since the days of my Logitech MX518.
    Here's the thing I don't get about the Steelseries... what is the point of the programmable LCD on the bottom of the mouse? Seems useless and adds complexity.

-Kujako-

Here's the thing I don't get about the Steelseries... what is the point of the programmable LCD on the bottom of the mouse? Seems useless and adds complexity.
    That's why I bought the Sensei Raw. It's the barebones version of the Sensei, lacking the more bloated features such as the LCD.

On the note of the LCD, I don't believe any of their other mice have it. Excluding the Sensei and Sensei MLG.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceG87 View Post
    That's why I bought the Sensei Raw. It's the barebones version of the Sensei, lacking the more bloated features such as the LCD.

On the note of the LCD, I don't believe any of their other mice have it. Excluding the Sensei and Sensei MLG.
    I kind of like the idea of the metal surfaced one, but I can not for the life of me think of a use for the LCD screen on the bottom of the mouse. Perhaps it's a high tech version of the password sticky-note?

Main issue I have with their mice is the symmetrical design. I don't find it to have the best ergonomics overall. But I may just have weird hands, had to use the larger left wing on the Perixx with the smaller right wing for it to be comfortable.

-Kujako-

This might sound odd, but for people who have used the SteelSeries Sensei do the right side buttons get in the way? I have a Razer Deathadder from... Well I got it back at the end of BC or beginning of Wrath. It's been slowly dying on me (double click on the left click, side buttons work hit or miss sometimes) and I love the mouse since it's put up with my abuses over the years. I went into a Best Buy like a month ago to look at the mice (I wanted to feel them) and I know Razer has an updated version of the Deathadder out, but it's $75 or so. Guess my problem is I don't want to be constantly hitting extra buttons.

I only really play WoW, but I want to get back into playing LoL a little so I don't need a fancy mouse for that. In WoW though I use the side buttons.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kind of like the idea of the metal surfaced one, but I can not for the life of me think of a use for the LCD screen on the bottom of the mouse. Perhaps it's a high tech version of the password sticky-note?

Main issue I have with their mice is the symmetrical design. I don't find it to have the best ergonomics overall. But I may just have weird hands, had to use the larger left wing on the Perixx with the smaller right wing for it to be comfortable.
    its not metal, just metal looking plastic, also ambidextrous mice work best with claw/palm hybrid grip, and are not the best for full claw or palm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    its not metal, just metal looking plastic, also ambidextrous mice work best with claw/palm hybrid grip, and are not the best for full claw or palm
    Huh... main web site says "metal surface"... but the product details page says nothing of the sort. Color me disappointed.

-Kujako-