Should I buy a laptop for MMO's or build pc? Got college and checking if this is good

Alright so the laptop I've looked into is an ASUS 550LN-DB71 ( if you have a better laptop for the same price $800 then I would be glad to hear it) I like the ASUS brand though not sure about others. I was thinking this would be a good laptop to have to game and have for college. I will be using my laptop in my engineering degree but not sure if maybe I should go for a cheaper laptop around the $550 price range and use it for everyday use and school (Models and multimedia) and save up the extra 300 and build a 500-600 dollar pc. I've been living off a chromebook right now as my laptop died and haven't been able to play anything. Do you have a better laptop recommendation or maybe I should go with a cheaper laptop and save up for a pc? If that is the case which laptop do you think I should get for school? I'm not tech or computer savy I'm just a lot into math and science and looking for some help. I will only play MMO's like maybe TERA, planetside2, dragon slayer, archage and whatever else that has many players.

Quote Originally Posted by fezz4734 View Post
    Alright so the laptop I've looked into is an ASUS 550LN-DB71 ( if you have a better laptop for the same price $800 then I would be glad to hear it) I like the ASUS brand though not sure about others. I was thinking this would be a good laptop to have to game and have for college. I will be using my laptop in my engineering degree but not sure if maybe I should go for a cheaper laptop around the $550 price range and use it for everyday use and school (Models and multimedia) and save up the extra 300 and build a 500-600 dollar pc. I've been living off a chromebook right now as my laptop died and haven't been able to play anything. Do you have a better laptop recommendation or maybe I should go with a cheaper laptop and save up for a pc? If that is the case which laptop do you think I should get for school? I'm not tech or computer savy I'm just a lot into math and science and looking for some help. I will only play MMO's like maybe TERA, planetside2, dragon slayer, archage and whatever else that has many players.
    With your budget you would be better off with a PC for gaming. I understand college life and how laptops are just a better fit but again at that price point the PC wins. You should have also opened this in the computer sub forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    With your budget you would be better off with a PC for gaming. I understand college life and how laptops are just a better fit but again at that price point the PC wins. You should have also opened this in the computer sub forum.
    Ah I didn't know, I will open up a new post. But, my main thing is not getting a PC right now I want a laptop for convenience anyways because it's much easier to take and deal with and play MMO's at home. My final decision would be either getting a laptop at the best my budget can or get a cheaper laptop and build a pc with money I gather in a month or 2 with the money I saved.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you do plan on buying a laptop for gaming, i would highly recommend staying away from HP. While the brand certainly does have its strong points, those things are just prone to heating up.
    "Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted" ~Einstein
    Wish more people would take that to heart.

Quote Originally Posted by dekal View Post
    If you do plan on buying a laptop for gaming, i would highly recommend staying away from HP. While the brand certainly does have its strong points, those things are just prone to heating up.
    Yea I don't know about HP, I have settled on this ASUS, maybe the lenovo y40. I'm still not sure if to buy the laptop or go for a cheaper one and save to later build a pc. I'm not sure if these laptops will be good enough.

Stay away from AMD laptops; they run hotter.
    Try to budget a laptop with an SSD in it.
    If mechanical drive stay away from the 5400RPM ones and stay at 7200RPM.
    Business laptops will have better life expectancy and stronger constitutions for a rough life.

Quote Originally Posted by skitszo View Post
    Stay away from AMD laptops; they run hotter.
    Try to budget a laptop with an SSD in it.
    If mechanical drive stay away from the 5400RPM ones and stay at 7200RPM.
    Business laptops will have better life expectancy and stronger constitutions for a rough life.
    I don't think my price range can afford a 7200RPM drive with an SSD, I can only got up to 800 maybe a bit more actually. Great advice but I think all I've seen are either 5400RPM. I don't want to play big action games like Call of Duty, mainly MMO games and planetside 2. If you can recommend a laptop that would be amazing I can't seem to find one.

you can try overstock.com for older stuff....then maby beable to throw in an SSD.

- - - Updated - - -

HP Elitebook 8560P 15.6-inch Notebook Intel Core i5 2.3GHz 4GB 500GB Win 7 ----at overstock for 462....
    tigerdirect says this model has 7200rpm drive/ ddr3 ram 1x4gb with 2 slots on the board so room for one more.
    business machine
    I just don't know how well the graphics would work... says its dual core but i'm guessing its hyper thread to 4 logical.

but overstock looks a little non specific in its details....so maby its not the same as the tiger direct one...

Quote Originally Posted by skitszo View Post
    you can try overstock.com for older stuff....then maby beable to throw in an SSD.

- - - Updated - - -

HP Elitebook 8560P 15.6-inch Notebook Intel Core i5 2.3GHz 4GB 500GB Win 7 ----at overstock for 462....
    tigerdirect says this model has 7200rpm drive/ ddr3 ram 1x4gb with 2 slots on the board so room for one more.
    business machine
    I just don't know how well the graphics would work... says its dual core but i'm guessing its hyper thread to 4 logical.

but overstock looks a little non specific in its details....so maby its not the same as the tiger direct one...
    It probably isn't the same one, not a big fan of HP either. I might just go with Asus to play MMO games, don't know how much MMO games need these days I haven't played one in years. Does it require a lot to play them like Archage or Tera?