Your tax dollars at work.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Fernando Murillo was typical of the young Latin Americans deployed by a U.S. agency to work undercover in Cuba. He had little training in the dangers of clandestine operations — or how to evade one of the world's most sophisticated counter-intelligence services.

Their assignment was to recruit young Cubans to anti-government activism, which they did under the guise of civic programs, including an HIV prevention workshop. Murillo was instructed to check in every 48 hours and was provided with a set of security codes. "I have a headache," for instance, meant the Costa Rican thought the Cubans were watching him and the mission should be suspended.

Over at least two years, the U.S. Agency for International Development — best known for overseeing billions of dollars in U.S. humanitarian aid — sent nearly a dozen neophytes from Venezuela, Costa Rica and Peru to gin up opposition in Cuba. The danger was apparent to USAID, if not to the young operatives: A USAID contractor, American Alan Gross, had just been hauled away to a Cuban jail for smuggling in sensitive technology. He remains there still.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/us-se...anti-cuba-ploy

Can't say I'm surprised but why Cuba?

It'd be news if the US didn't have some sort of hand in Cuba still, considering what happened a handful of decades ago and with news from a few months ago about Russia wanting to set something up there..a base? can't recall...

Our tax dollars already do plenty of work, for everyone else, including spending on other things that aren't "aid" (IE military)

We haven't had good relations with Cube for like 70 years they've always been a potential forward operating base for powers such as Russia ect. They have opposed us whenever and we have returned the favor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tylenol View Post
    It'd be news if the US didn't have some sort of hand in Cuba still, considering what happened a handful of decades ago and with news from a few months ago about Russia wanting to set something up there..a base? can't recall...

Our tax dollars already do plenty of work, for everyone else, including spending on other things that aren't "aid" (IE military)
    Aid isn't sent to actually help people but to push us interests like in Israel or to justify invading a country(and using their shit).
    Last edited by NuLogic; 2014-08-05 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NuLogic View Post
    Aid isn't sent to actually help people but to push us interests like in Israel or to justify invading a country(and using their shit).
    In the US aid to Israel mostly just serves to prop up a candidates status as "pro israel". It buys us almost no good will there as the Israelis are happy to hate us for disagreeing with them despite all the bombs and shielding from the UN we give them.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    U.S needs to be cool with Cuba again. I want access to their women.

Seem to be very traditional, and they are required to be educated through their universities.

That and Latinas are so attractive. I'm certain a Cuban is a my dream wife.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2014-08-05 at 03:17 PM.