Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The fastest way to lose weight is with diet and by running in a suit that prevents your heat to go out.
    What happens is that your body heat goes up and you start to use more energy to cool off. (scuba suit is also ok)
    However you need to drink a loot of water and watch out for your body temperature (it should not go over 40*C).
    If you can keep it on a sick lvl (like the time you need to get rid of viruses) its the best.
    You can also use sauna. But its slower.

Generaly you will lose your fat energy, while stil getting enogh for a day.
    Just doing diet is a very slow and anoying process.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wxcopy View Post
    Drop sugars, starches, anything "whole grains".
    Replace with healthy fats from sources like beef, fish, coconut, olive. Eat lots of vegs.
    Stop eating garbage.
    Counting calories doesn't work, ^ that Dr Attia stuff is correct.
    Counting calories absolutley does work.

When it doesn't work is when you say "Okay, I'm going to eat 100 less calories than I think I'm using, but im going to do it entirely with garbage food"
    That just isn't good enough. When you are only talking about small amounts, then what you eat is far more important. When you are talking about dropping 1000 calories from your diet, it basically makes no difference where those calories are coming from. You are still going to lose weight quickly if you do the same amount of exercise etc.

Long run advice - develop some sort of good exercise habit/plan. Weight management is much, much easier if you spend a significant amount of time running, biking, or swimming.

Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post
    Start by changing that avatar. You'll just tempt yourself. Seriously those brownies look tasty.
    I used to have no Avatar, but then the Bronie movement started and us, the rebellion started the Brownie movement to fight them. We were unsuccessful but I am still proud to have been part of the broWnie movement....(honestly, I forget it was there,....it was fire and forget kinda stuff :P)

To everyone, else:
    Thanks for the wonderful comments!
    Plenty to read and to keep track of!
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

Deleted
    Just a few main rules:

- A short term diet does NOT work. If you decide to lose weight by eating 200 calories a day, then great! You've lost a huge bunch of weight. Problem? You'll just put it all on again when you stop the diet. Do NOT do this.

- Drink LOTS of fluid. Not only is drinking a good way to appease hunger (you can 'trick' your stomach into thinking you've just eaten, so it's an excellent way to avoid snacking) but also water emulsifies fats i.e. it makes them easier for your body to deal with.

- Three meals a day. Always. Skipping meals is bad for your metabolism. At least have a bowl of cereal for breakfast.

- Obviously, get rid of garbage. Cook everything yourself if you can so you know exactly what's going into it. Cutting down on fast food and cakes is probably the most effective way to lose weight, along with...

- Exercise. Obviously. Important. Yeah.

These tips will lead to good overall health and aren't that difficult to follow. Honestly, if you start following some of the advice in this thread (stuff like 'avoid starch', 'no more than 50g of X or Y per day, unless X comes before Y...') it'll drive you insane, you'll get it wrong and you'll give up. Whatever plan you come up with it needs to be one you can realistically stick to.
    Last edited by mmoce96c42a774; 2014-08-05 at 11:31 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    running, biking, or swimming.
    Running, biking and swimming are forms of exercise that are, for most people, boring as fuck. Much better to find some sport you can do with friends, such as football (whether outdoor or indoor), volleyball, badminton, floorball and so on. A game you can play, but one you don't have to take too seriously. That way it'll be much easier to keep doing it for years and years.

Also, there's absolutely no need to spend a "significant time" doing any of that shit. 30 minutes to an hour for five days a week, with a couple days to rest (for example monday-tuesday exercise, wednesday rest, thursday-friday-saturday exercise, sunday rest), of something that gives you a decent work out will get you on the right path.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Running, biking and swimming are forms of exercise that are, for most people, boring as fuck. Much better to find some sport you can do with friends, such as football, volleyball, badminton, and so on. A game you can play, but one you don't have to take too seriously. That way it'll be much easier to keep doing it for years and years.
    Most people have never spent enough time running, biking, or swimming to know if they find them boring as fuck. Lots of things aren't much fun when you're bad at them. I spent the first 27 years of my life totally uninterested in endurance sports, but once I actually tried them, it turns out I love it. Of course, no one has to do anything, and I used to play a ton of basketball and had fun with that too. I'm in much, much better aerobic condition from running and biking though. People also tend to overestimate their calorie burn rate during sports that have stoppages.
    Also, there's absolutely no need to spend a "significant time" doing any of that shit. 30 minutes to an hour for five days a week, with a couple days to rest (for example monday-tuesday exercise, wednesday rest, thursday-friday-saturday exercise, sunday rest), of something that gives you a decent work out will get you on the right path.
    Sure, you don't strictly "need" to spend much time working out, but lots of people find it thoroughly satisfying. It also gives a lot of dietary cushion. When you're burning ~800-1000 calories on a daily basis from running and/or biking, you need to eat a fair bit. That isn't some insane time investment either, just a bit over an hour.

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure it's a very small minority who find running enjoyable. You can quote me on that. At least in my 15 years or so of playing hockey and football in teams, and knowing athletes through those circles, I didn't come across very many, if any who actually liked to run.

Bicycling I think is much more liked, and cross-country skiing also a bit, here in Finland anyway, but running has always been one of the least enjoyable things within the circle of people I've known.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2014-08-05 at 11:39 AM.

I'm sure a small minority of people presently enjoy running, but I'm equally sure that it's only a small minority of people that have ever put any genuine effort into it. And no, going outside and running 2 miles in tennis shoes and then declaring that it sucks is not a genuine effort. Again, no one has to do anything, but speaking from personal experience, it's a great way to destress after a day, and running a few relaxed miles every day makes it much easier to eat more intuitively.

Deleted
    I'm sure a small minority of people presently enjoy running, but I'm equally sure that it's only a small minority of people that have ever put any genuine effort into it. And no, going outside and running 2 miles in tennis shoes and then declaring that it sucks is not a genuine effort. Again, no one has to do anything, but speaking from personal experience, it's a great way to destress after a day, and running a few relaxed miles every day makes it much easier to eat more intuitively.
    Well, if you like running, I'm sure it's hard for you to see why people wouldn't like it. For me, the problem with just walking or running is the pointlessness of it. Then again, I come from a team sports background, and for me exercising has always come with the reward of playing a game. Or, in the case of cycling, speed. Just simply running a long circle or from A to B and back to A again is just so frustratingly boring and feels nothing short of a huge waste of time. For me, even listening to music doesn't make it enjoyable, although it does help.

I'd suggest people do something that they absolutely find fun, instead of forcing themselves to try and "find the fun" in running. Even if you do play some game, it's better to run at least a little bit though, to warm up at the very least.

...for me exercising has always come with the reward of playing a game.
    That's true for running as well - all the miles put in come with the reward of running past people during races. There's not much that feels better than knowing that you're stronger than someone in a race because you've worked harder. It's just incredibly rewarding. Seeing paces improve over time, being able to do things you had no idea you can do, it's great.

Like I said, I came from basketball, I have no issue with ball/team sports. They're great. They're also generally less practical for adults with jobs and other commitments, although if you really care about the sport, you can make time. It's a lot easier logistically to just step outside the house and run though.

I disagree with the perspective that if someone doesn't love something immediately, they shouldn't bother. Not everything in life is candy. Sometimes, things are satisfying precisely because they're hard.

Deleted
    That's true for running as well - all the miles put in come with the reward of running past people during races. There's not much that feels better than knowing that you're stronger than someone in a race because you've worked harder. It's just incredibly rewarding. Seeing paces improve over time, being able to do things you had no idea you can do, it's great.
    Well, running competitively is a completely different thing. I wasn't even thinking about running in a competition, hence there was no such reward in my mind. If you just run alone, there's no competition there, and thus improving your time on some route might seem pretty insignificant.

Like I said, I came from basketball, I have no issue with ball/team sports. They're great. They're also generally less practical for adults with jobs and other commitments, although if you really care about the sport, you can make time. It's a lot easier logistically to just step outside the house and run though.
    Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of pickup games with a bunch of friends, although having such games more than once a week might be a bit hard to arrange. As such, doing stuff alone is definitely easier. Although, there are fitness clubs and stuff like that, which have all kinds of workout programs, but I'm not sure if those are worth the time and the money.

I disagree with the perspective that if someone doesn't love something immediately, they shouldn't bother. Not everything in life is candy. Sometimes, things are satisfying precisely because they're hard.
    Well, I was thinking about it for someone who's starting out trying to get into shape, and as such trying to stick to running, if it's not fun at all, might be the worst possible thing to do, because that'd just put them off all exercising. Instead, much rather try and get into doing something that's really fun, and all kinds of different games you can play, without having to get too serious, would be great for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    People also tend to overestimate their calorie burn rate during sports that have stoppages.
    People tend to overestimate their calorie burn rate, in general. Especially with those god awful calorie counters on most workout equipment. For people wanting to lose weight, the first step isn't 'exercise more,' it's always 'eat less.' In my experience, when a layperson starts at 'exercise more,' this often leads to calorie substitution (I ran for 30 min! Now I can have some pizza).

But yeah. Exercising is obviously important. I get mine by doing yard work 5 days a week. Chopping wood, building rock walls, raking leaves. I'll purposefully use a rake instead of a leaf blower. Two birds, one stone.
    Eat yo vegetables

It's common sense, really. The problem is people don't commit. They expect instant results when really weightloss is a long and slow process.
    The only way to keep weight off is to change your life. You need to change they way you eat forever, and how active you are, forever.

Just start cutting things out slowly that you can manage. Over time increase these trade offs so you can alter the way you eat. Cutting out extra calories will make a huge difference.

1. Try to start drinking your coffee without sugar, or black. Eventually, you can switch to black tea, then green tea.
    2. Replace every drink you consume with water or hot tea (with nothing in it).
    3. Replace foods on your plate with vegetables. You want half your plate to be veg. Preferably not smothered in butter or cheese.
    4. Remember, the proper meat serving size is the size of a deck of cards. Most people eat a steak 3 times that.
    5. Read portion sizes on processed foods and stick by them, fill the rest of your plate with veg.
    6. Always opt for the unbreaded version of chicken.
    7. Get grilled and baked foods over fried and sauteed.
    8. Instead of a breaded chicken wrap, eat a grilled chicken salad.
    9. Instead of mayo, use avacado or mustard.
    10. Replace butter with olive oil.
    11. Get everything whole grain / wheat.
    12. Find an activity you love doing, like swimming, hiking, biking, jump rope, road hockey, whatever you want and make sure you get it going once a week. Increase to bi-weekly after a while. Then 3 and eventually 4 times a week.

You want to make these changes gradually so you don't become overwhelmed and quit your first week.
    Every week make a goal and stick with it. Next week, add another.
    If you cheat or give in, do not throw the whole day or week down the toilet and pig out. Just drink some water and start fresh next meal with smarter choices.

Believe in yourself and remember you are worth spending this much time and effort on.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Mermaid; 2014-08-05 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wxcopy View Post
    Drop sugars, starches, anything "whole grains".
    Replace with healthy fats from sources like beef, fish, coconut, olive. Eat lots of vegs.
    Stop eating garbage.
    Counting calories doesn't work, ^ that Dr Attia stuff is correct.
    Basically this.

If you only eat these foods (meat, eggs, fish / seafood, non-starchy vegetables, oil fats (uncooked olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, bacon fat, lard, grass fed butter, etc)... you'll lose weight. Eat as much of these things as you want, whenever you want. You'll lose a lot of weight. You'll be enormously healthier - your real relevant cholesterol levels will improve dramatically (HDL, reduced apolipoprotein B, dramatically reduced triglycerides), your blood sugar will become perfect, your blood pressure will become perfect.

I absolutely guarantee all of those things will happen in 2 months.

People will often chime in with idiotic statements like "lol! if you eat 10,000 calories a day of fat you'll still gain weight! A calorie is a calorie man, calories in < calories out! duh!" and that is so foolish it's ridiculous.

Studies have tried, and always failed, to make anyone gain weight eating this way (which is eating healthy)... and it's because it fixes your hormones (leptin and insulin among others), and you won't feel hungry. You won't eat 10,000 calories of fat a day - you literally can't. Every single person in these studies refused to eat the calories they needed them to to gain weight, and they had to give up on them. The only way to get them to gain weight and eat more calories was to start giving them the shitty carbohydrates that are the real source of all weight gain. Try it yourself - see how many calories of meat and fat (ONLY) you can get in yourself for a good week or more straight. You'll start realizing you're actually eating less than before and somehow losing weight! Weird!

It's that simple. Stop eating trash - forever - and you'll be healthy.

Notes: Fruits are OK but they are detrimental to weight loss. Exercise is also generally detrimental to weight loss, as much as people want to pretend it's the key. Exercise is one of the best things you can do for yourself and for your health, but it is NOT a great way to lose body fat. If you do want to get healthier in every way, though, start lifting some weights for sure.

White rice and even potatoes are also pretty healthy but also not when you're trying to lose weight. They're great if you're trying to gain muscle or you're at a healthy weight and manage your carb intake accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    The fastest way to lose weight is with diet and by running in a suit that prevents your heat to go out.
    What happens is that your body heat goes up and you start to use more energy to cool off. (scuba suit is also ok)
    This sounds like a great way to (1) sweat a lot (and get fake weight loss from water loss), and (2) kill yourself from heat stroke.

As a way to burn fat, it makes no sense whatsoever.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    I see a lot of solid advice on what to eat and such things so I would like to comment night eating because that is a very confusing topic for many. As science stands right now ( at least to my knowledge) , it is very discouragable to eat at night , or near the starting of your sleep cycle. As for why : your endogene circadian rythm has metabolic input , so food intake will offset your clock and cause all kinds of shifts in your bodys regulation ranging from sleep loss to excessive fat storage and decreased energy expenditure. So without going into further detail you should not eat before your sleep time and also , try to keep a regular pattern. If you want a more detailed read on the subject I can recomend some articles but a degree of biocemistry knowledge might be required. (e.g http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22169754)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    Notes: Fruits are OK but they are detrimental to weight loss. Exercise is also generally detrimental to weight loss, as much as people want to pretend it's the key. Exercise is one of the best things you can do for yourself and for your health, but it is NOT a great way to lose body fat. If you do want to get healthier in every way, though, start lifting some weights for sure.
    Erm, please justify these statements.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    Erm, please justify these statements.
    Why bother. There's so much misinformation in this thread it's ridiculous. People looking for actual scientific advice should just consult a doctor or a dietitian, or at the very least, a subreddit like /r/fitness, where at least correct information usually gets voted to the top, and bad information gets voted to the bottom.
    Eat yo vegetables

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Why bother. There's so much misinformation in this thread it's ridiculous. People looking for actual scientific advice should just consult a doctor or a dietitian, or at the very least, a subreddit like /r/fitness, where at least correct information usually gets voted to the top, and bad information gets voted to the bottom.
    Listen to the smoking baby. What could go wrong? ;D