Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Down syndrome symbol

Hello. I was told a light-blue and yellow ribbon is a symbol of Down syndrome, just like this one:

Since I've never been in touch with people like this, I didn't know it. Is it really true? Does anyone know the history of such a symbol, especially why these colors were chosen?

Thank you!

Deleted
    It is also the flag of the Ukraine, I bet they are not happy about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why do I have the feeling that we have some kind of drawing by Megraam in the Putin/Ukraine thread soon....
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    All the kids with down syndrome I've worked with would flip their shit at mixing two colours on something they expect to be mono-coloured.

Besides that it indeed is, different versions, but always blue and yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    It is also the flag of the Ukraine, I bet they are not happy about it.
    Huh? Ribbons and flags are totally different things. In terms of comparison, Russian flag is white-blue-red, but most famous Russian ribbon is black and orange. I bet there is some kind of famous ribbon in Ukraine and its colors aren't light-blue and yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that we have some kind of drawing by Megraam in the Putin/Ukraine thread soon....
    I don't get your point, however, I don't want to.

It does seem like yellow and blue are the colors that The National Down Syndrome Society uses for charity events like "The Buddy Walk". It would be safe to assume that the ribbon you linked is indeed to show support for down syndrome kids.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    It does seem like yellow and blue are the colors that The National Down Syndrome Society uses for charity events like "The Buddy Walk". It would be safe to assume that the ribbon you linked is indeed to show support for down syndrome kids.
    Yeah, I'd say it is safe to assume that it is used to show support for Down syndrome patients.

Because, well... frankly... you don't need a ribbon to show you have Down syndrome (no offense meant).
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Deleted
    Yeah, I'd say it is safe to assume that it is used to show support for Down syndrome patients.

Because, well... frankly... you don't need a ribbon to show you have Down syndrome (no offense meant).
    You do know saying "no offence meant", doesn't negate a needlessly offensive statement?

It's for those that feel discriminated for not being discriminated even though they have a unique trait which they could be discriminated for... ok this is getting weird here.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    You do know saying "no offence meant", doesn't negate a needlessly offensive statement?
    Yes I do. It however states my intention of not offending.

Deleted
    Yes I do. It however states my intention of not offending.
    Want to know how not to offend? Don't say offensive things, shocking I know!

10+ Year Old Account
    Seen as i don't know anyone with down syndrome/ never met anyone with it, what is it actually? Like why do people with it look so similar? What's specifically 'wrong' with people with it? >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    How you react to a statement is on you, not on the person making the statement.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Seen as i don't know anyone with down syndrome/ never met anyone with it, what is it actually? Like why do people with it look so similar? What's specifically 'wrong' with people with it? >.<
    It's a genetic disorder where Chr 21 has a tertiary copy, in full or in part. Effectively they can have a range of symptoms, depending on the severity of the replication.

Essentially you're a human with 24 chromosomes, creating a raft of neurological and physical abnormalities.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well reality can sometimes feel offensive, because sometimes truth hurts. Or do you consider it a taboo that you can not mention that Down syndrome has clear visible signs and is very easy to distinguish?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    How you react to a statement is on you, not on the person making the statement.
    There's a stark difference with saying something that can be construed as offensive, e.g. people with down syndrome can have a typical feature set, and saying something that is consciously said knowing it will offend, and for no good purpose in doing so.

If you say something offensive that doesn't add to the conversation, and merely want to say something offensive, you're quite a bit of a prat.

Kinda amazing that we as a species have come far enough to allow the survival of members that have such debilitating diseases and are actively working towards enabling them to seamlessly integrate into society.
    Go humans! [And fuck horses. Those guys are evil.]

Deleted
    Well reality can sometimes feel offensive, because sometimes truth hurts. Or do you consider it a taboo that you can not mention that Down syndrome has clear visible signs and is very easy to distinguish?
    You do realize not all people with down syndrome look like your vision of what they look like? For example Mosaic Down Syndrome is a prime example of this, and DS is a spectrum disorder anyhow.

15+ Year Old Account
    You do realize not all people with down syndrome look like your vision of what they look like? For example Mosaic Down Syndrome is a prime example of this, and DS is a spectrum disorder anyhow.
    Well I haven't seen or heard of DS patients who don't have some or most of those clear visible signs. I wasn't aware of my ignorance on this.

Deleted
    Well I haven't seen or heard of DS patients who don't have some or most of those clear visible signs. I wasn't aware of my ignorance on this.
    DS is very rarely openly discussed, simply because anyone who interacts with those poor souls know that they're fighting an uphill battler from birth.

The spectrum it covers is quite extensive, and sadly generally misunderstood by the public given it's taboo nature of discussion.