Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    I take it that is a picture of Justin Bieber and you are using it as an example of people will buy anything regardless of quality. Doesn't it strike you as odd that if this were true there would be hundreds if not thousands of Justin Biebers? I mean so what if his music won't be remembered in ten or even five years time, he is getting to drive around in cars most of us will only see be driven by someone else, has a house that most of us can only dream of, has women falling at his feet, etc. If as you claim that there is no quality to his product then why considering how large the potential rewards for making poor quality music are why is there only one person doing it?

I'm sure the new expansion will be fun, but not that optimistic that a massive amount of veterans are suddenly going to decide to resubscribe. WoW began with five years of escalating subscriptions and the last five years of steadily declining subscriptions to where the number is now about half of what WoW had at its peak. And, you know, I'm sure there are many reasons for it. Game age, player age, the ability to level faster (and 90 boost), etc.

I believe that the ability to see all the most recent content through group finders also plays a role as well, as does providing (though subjective) compelling content. I still subscribe, but it's been a long time since I've been excited about a new raid. The one that immediately comes to mind is Ulduar. You know, not that the ones after have been all that bad (particularly Firelands and Throne of Thunder), but — speaking personally — they lacked ... something, hell I don't know what ... that made me really, really excited and looking forward to running them before they were released.

Felt that way about Pandaria expansion lacking something too before it was released, though it turned out to be a decent expansion. Kinda feel the same way about the WoD expansion. You know, I think it'll be fun, but am I just really on my seat and enthused about it like some of the others? No, not really.

That could change based upon whatever they've got planned to lead up to it. The world events just before Wrath and Cataclysm got me pumped, but not so much the one before Pandaria. I've played WoD beta up to the point where you get your own fort. It was fun and interesting, but...well I'm sure it gets better as it goes along.

For me, Vanilla was "compelling" because everything was brand new and there seemed to be so MUCH to do.

Burning Crusade was "compelling" because from the moment I first saw the Dark Portal in the Blasted Lands, I wanted to know what was behind it. Had absolutely no idea who Illidan was or much about any Warcraft lore, but I sure saw that big gateway in the Blasted Lands. Yeah, that stood out.

I found Northrend "compelling" because I was there when Naxx was first introduced and had a good idea of what was coming up. Still miss the Argent Dawn.

Cataclysm was "compelling" because, being a Vanilla-baby, the idea of Deathwing flying across the old world burning it down was like, "yeah." Though now I regret many of the changes that occurred because of it and that seems to be the turning point for me...which coincidentally coincides with the time that subscriptions started their decline.

Pandaria not so much compelling. Horde blows up Theramore. Have scenario. Mists unveil undiscovered world. It was a good expansion. But, having little - if any - ties to former content didn't make me look forward to it a whole lot.

WoD does have those ties, so I don't know why I'm not as hyped. Could be any number of things, really. Might be the whole time travel thing, though it does offer some interesting notions that could happen for the next expansion. The idea that we have defeated Garrosh though, and then he goes back in time to start up some new ruckus, even though he isn't the main deal, makes the victory of ousting him not seem like really a victory after all. I'm not even sure why we went to Pandaria at all except to have a new race and class.

It'll push back over 8 when the expansion comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    So is your response...

Thanks! I really enjoy being unique and I appreciate you noticing it!
    Here come the Irish.

THE SKY IS FALLING ERMAHGERD!

Very optimistic about what WoD will do for this game.

Deleted

Arrow My opinion

I say its because its been a years since that last patch..... They need to put in filler content between there major patches, or else people gonna get bored and unsubscribe. Even if its like call of the crusade, with a mini raid, or something like that. I'm not really surprised. Its not dyeing or dead, it is still more subs then most games to be honest. They just need to keep us entertained.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    THE SKY IS FALLING ERMAHGERD!

Very optimistic about what WoD will do for this game.
    I remember that same being said about Mists after Cataclysm.

Hey and this expansion has a lot less content. Should do wonders.

No, that is not why I used this example.
    I think that his music is generally considered to be bad among users on this forum.
    Yet he has an incredible amount of fans.

It shows that there is no correlation between content quality and the amount of people that are willing to buy your product.
    I could've used other examples, like any Michael Bay film But this one is more obvious.
    It also tells us that content quality is highly subjective and that some people might absolutely love the content while others think it's the worst thing since WW2.
    You are confusing not being part of the target audience with quality.

Clearly his target audience view his work as a quality product as do those that go to see Transformers movies. It is nonsense to suggest that people in their millions will buy a poor quality product. Whilst the prepubescent girls are not renowned for looking for world class musicians who write deep and meaningful songs in their music and it is certainly not to my taste but the fact of the matter is that Bieber is successful on merit. However due the fact that children grow up rather quickly and their tastes in music change with it the manufactured boy band/artist is rather short lived and not really comparable to the MMO market.

I must confess that it is slightly amusing that you use these examples that people will buy anything regardless of quality but dismiss that they might stop buying a product due to a drop in perceived quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I have to disagree with you due to Chinese licensing laws the monetary value of a Chinese sub is considerably less than that of a Western one to Blizzard some estimates have put this at between four and five times less. It makes no sense for Blizzard to focus on a market that they have no direct control over and makes less money than the western market.
    That doesn't make sense. There's no reason not to appeal to a broader audience. They've already captured a huge chunk of the Chinese audience with TBC, Wrath and Cata. WoW helped paved the way for broad MMO appeal in China. Now there's much more competition there, and Blizzard is losing that foothold. I don't think it was out of ignorance that Blizzard decided to focus an expansion on Pandaria. Making 'less money' doesn't matter considering what makes WoW grand to the public eye is that global number of subscribers. It's how WoW markets itself in general, and it's what people talk about more than the $billions they make from any given continent.

Also if they were truly intent on focussing on the Chinese market it would have made sense to hire voice actors who had Chinese rather Japanese accents and not portray them a lazy western stereotype.
    You realize that China has its own localization right?

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post

Hey and this expansion has a lot less content. Should do wonders.
    See while other people at blizzcon saw the announcement as "we're releasing no new content!" I saw it as "We're looking to focus and improve on the base quality of our game by updating the most important aspects of the game we've been neglecting to put in new shiny bullshit to keep people with short attention spans happy!"

I never understand what constitutes more or less content, the bulk of every expansions content comes base line and this expansion has no less than those. So what less content does it have?

No new class, no new race, mmk that's like... not even real content its just a shiny toy they put in peoples faces to get them excited. Hmm what else then...

There's still new raids so that's not it.
    There's still new dungeons so that's not it.
    There's still a new continent with all the stuff that comes with that so that's not it...
    Still new pvp things so that's not it...
    Class redesigns as per usual that's not it...
    Completely remaking the character models which is like making 10+ new races so that's not it...
    New NPC models for most enemy mobs in the new zone so that's not it...

I got nothing, I can't figure out what tangible content is missing besides worthless fluff like new race / class.
    Last edited by Baconeggcheese; 2014-08-07 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    Uhh, right. And there was a huge spike in subscribers. So... what?

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    That doesn't make sense. There's no reason not to appeal to a broader audience. They've already captured a huge chunk of the Chinese audience with TBC, Wrath and Cata. WoW helped paved the way for broad MMO appeal in China. Now there's much more competition there, and Blizzard is losing that foothold. I don't think it was out of ignorance that Blizzard decided to focus an expansion on Pandaria. Making 'less money' doesn't matter considering what makes WoW grand to the public eye is that global number of subscribers. It's how WoW markets itself in general, and it's what people talk about more than the $billions they make from any given continent.

You realize that China has its own localization right?
    What doesn't make sense? It is fact that Blizzard receive much less revenue per account from Chinese players it is also a fact that Chinese law prohibits them operating WOW in China. Expansions represent a huge investment in terms of time and money they are not going spend this time and money on a section of the player base they have no direct contact with and they receive less money from. Netease reported paying roughly $60million to Blizzard in royalties for operating WOW last year by contrast Blizzard's total WOW income was $912million. It is complete nonsense to suggest that Blizzard are motivated by subscriber numbers rather than income why haven't reduced the sub to $5 if this is the case it would much cheaper than developing a whole expansion and likely to yield more subscribers.

I must have imagined the complaints from Chinese players regarding these issues. I doubt any amount of localisation would remove the lazy stereotypes.

Interesting seeing as all the Blues kept talking about was the Alliance-Horde conflict and how it effected Pandaria.
    Majority of the playerbase doesn't even go to forums or twitter. Blue posts aren't marketting, and aren't what I'm talking about.

I see you are rather new to online communities.
    Because people will whine and they will criticize everything, no matter what one does.
    It's one of the best things a person said on the MtG forum: "WotC could put 100 dollar bills in boosters and people would complain about the way they were folded."
    I'm not talking about the western online community. The entire theme was something that was criticized by Chinese players. Again, not as a main factor, but a contributing factor. Other criticisms included lack of social/community features in the game, compared to games like Age of Wushu that were coming out at the time that promoted much more co-op centric gameplay. The issues run much deeper than a surface level understanding of Chinese culture. I do believe that Blizzard attempted to pull a 'Spaghetti Western', making their version of Asian-inspired material to more familiarize broad appeal to Chinese players and Western WoW players alike. They missed the point completely though, and it didn't help bring in waves of new players as they would have expected, mostly because the appeal for Chinese culture was never really warranted in the East in the first place. Again, it was criticized by Chinese players for being too much of a Western take on Chinese culture.

Are you complaining about the content or the cover from the box?
    TBC also had a blood elf and draenei on the cover.. I don't see you complaining over that, even when the majority of the lore was about other stuff.
    You're confusing observation with personal preference. Whatever you think I'm saying, I think you need to re-read with a broader field of view. None of these are complaints, all of these are observations of MoP.

- - - Updated - - -

What doesn't make sense? It is fact that Blizzard receive much less revenue per account from Chinese players it is also a fact that Chinese law prohibits them operating WOW in China. Expansions represent a huge investment in terms of time and money they are not going spend this time and money on a section of the player base they have no direct contact with and they receive less money from.
    Have you never asked yourself why Blizzard chose Pandaria as expansion material? We could have had an Alliance/Horde war involving Garrosh obtaining the Heart of Y'shaarj without Pandaria entirely. Blizzard even planned Pandaren for TBC, a typical Warcraft themed expansion.

There's no way to prove this observation either way. If you don't agree with what I'm saying, that's absolutely fine. The fact is, they spent time and resources developing an entire culture not typically familiar to Warcraft.

Netease reported paying roughly $60million to Blizzard in royalties for operating WOW last year by contrast Blizzard's total WOW income was $912million. It is complete nonsense to suggest that Blizzard are motivated by subscriber numbers rather than income why haven't reduced the sub to $5 if this is the case it would much cheaper than developing a whole expansion and likely to yield more subscribers.
    Netease's other games were reported to have growth in sales while WoW was in decline. Blizzard uses subscriber numbers in public shareholder meetings. They could just as easily use raw monetary figures with no mentions of subs around the world. I wouldn't say they are motivated by subscriber numbers, but they are interested in opening up to a broader audience with the Warcraft franchise. It's obvious to me that MoP was their attempt for broader (overseas) appeal, even if you may not share this opinion.

What Blizzard didn't anticipate was the general shift in gaming culture in China, and the fact that MoP's themes weren't exactly appealing to Chinese players to begin with. What is Blizzard's reaction to this? Warlords, which takes place on familiar territory with familiar characters in a fresh new light.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2014-08-07 at 06:58 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by niker99 View Post
    wildstar 200k subs and can push out big patches each month and got a raid comin in 2 months again, yeh. if they really have 200k subs like u say Blizzard is really pathetic that cant push out any content waht so ever in 13-14 months with all the subs + other services + mounts
    Big patches of what? Bug fixes? Not many. Content they added was basically a quest hub. I waited 6 weeks for them to do *anything* with engineer bots. They added new costumes instead.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Have you never asked yourself why Blizzard chose Pandaria as expansion material? We could have had an Alliance/Horde war involving Garrosh obtaining the Heart of Y'shaarj without Pandaria entirely. Blizzard even planned Pandaren for TBC, a typical Warcraft themed expansion.

There's no way to prove this observation either way. If you don't agree with what I'm saying, that's absolutely fine. The fact is, they spent time and resources developing an entire culture not typically familiar to Warcraft.
    According to Blizzard it was because Pandaren had been the most requested race throughout the history of the game.

Netease's other games were reported to have growth in sales while WoW was in decline. Blizzard uses subscriber numbers in public shareholder meetings. They could just as easily use raw monetary figures with no mentions of subs around the world. I wouldn't say they are motivated by subscriber numbers, but they are interested in opening up to a broader audience with the Warcraft franchise. It's obvious to me that MoP was their attempt for broader appeal, even if you may not share this opinion.
    No doubt they are interested in opening WOW up to a broader audience but why would they spend millions of dollars catering their product to market that not only are they not actually allowed to operate in but they receive four to five times less per customer in terms of income? And not only that people that this expansion is supposedly aimed at do not even pay for it.

No doubt they are interested in opening WOW up to a broader audience but why would they spend millions of dollars catering their product to market that not only are they not actually allowed to operate in but they receive four to five times less per customer in terms of income? And not only that people that this expansion is supposedly aimed at do not even pay for it.
    Does it matter what the answer is? The fact is they already did do that, and what we have is Mists of Pandaria. We wouldn't be having this discussion if it were any other familiar themed Alliance/Horde expansion involving Garrosh as an end boss. It could have taken place on another island, and the lore would work out just the same in the end.

Bottom line is no matter what expansion they release, the gameplay is still Warcraft gameplay. People will play it regardless, and that's why we still have a constant ~7m player base still active. Arguably, the static gameplay is also a factor in driving people away.

The Pandarens would have appealed to is both Western audience who asked for them, and potentially for Chinese players. But we didn't need a full Pandaria expansion to have Pandarens, as evidenced by their plans in TBC. The Wandering Isle is all you need to make sense out of Pandarens. Exploring Pandaria and Blizzard having delved into its culture is something else entirely.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2014-08-07 at 07:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerchunk View Post
    Uhh, right. And there was a huge spike in subscribers. So... what?
    For all of about five seconds.

And now we're here...

So there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Big patches of what? Bug fixes? Not many. Content they added was basically a quest hub. I waited 6 weeks for them to do *anything* with engineer bots. They added new costumes instead.
    It's not even a major patch silly. They're adding content in minor patches. Something this game struggles to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Exbishop View Post
    I say its because its been a years since that last patch..... They need to put in filler content between there major patches, or else people gonna get bored and unsubscribe. Even if its like call of the crusade, with a mini raid, or something like that. I'm not really surprised. Its not dyeing or dead, it is still more subs then most games to be honest. They just need to keep us entertained.
    At one point during Wrath they had it. And then for some reason they said Wrath was all wrong, and they didn't want to do just about anything that was done in Wrath, despite it's major success.

Yet again, here we are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Doesn't it strike you as odd that if this were true there would be hundreds if not thousands of Justin Biebers?
    Have you ever listened to pop Music? It's all rubbish. So yes there are thousands of musicians like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dvaldin View Post
    I'm sure the new expansion will be fun, but not that optimistic that a massive amount of veterans are suddenly going to decide to resubscribe. WoW began with five years of escalating subscriptions and the last five years of steadily declining subscriptions to where the number is now about half of what WoW had at its peak. And, you know, I'm sure there are many reasons for it. Game age, player age, the ability to level faster (and 90 boost), etc.
    Odds are doubtful many of us will comeback. WoD is less about what is offered and more about what is removed. I like the general concept of going back and revisiting Warcraft 1&2, but the way they are doing it, and removing flying from new content, makes it feel like a cheap gimmick. Honestly I'm MMO burned out, if WOW keeps Sucking I'm not really going to play any of them, although I will encourage the new guys. With the hope someone can save the genre. As for companies Blizzard and Activision will never get another cent from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Last month we were given two questing hubs, and a bunch of new stuff items. This month was a PVP centered drop ... If Wildstar keeps this up for the 16 months they said .. that game is worth the sub just for the new content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    See while other people at blizzcon saw the announcement as "we're releasing no new content!" I saw it as "We're looking to focus and improve on the base quality of our game by updating the most important aspects of the game we've been neglecting to put in new shiny bullshit to keep people with short attention spans happy!"

I never understand what constitutes more or less content, the bulk of every expansions content comes base line and this expansion has no less than those. So what less content does it have?

No new class, no new race, mmk that's like... not even real content its just a shiny toy they put in peoples faces to get them excited. Hmm what else then...

There's still new raids so that's not it.
    There's still new dungeons so that's not it.
    There's still a new continent with all the stuff that comes with that so that's not it...
    Still new pvp things so that's not it...
    Class redesigns as per usual that's not it...
    Completely remaking the character models which is like making 10+ new races so that's not it...
    New NPC models for most enemy mobs in the new zone so that's not it...

I got nothing, I can't figure out what tangible content is missing besides worthless fluff like new race / class.
    No:
    Raid content should be introduced on a regular basis, with out additional cost to raid.
    As with Raids, they should come out at regular intervals, with out additional cost.
    New PVP zones should be updated regularly, with out additional cost.
    Class redesigns effect everyone even people not buying the expansion.
    Character models redesigns effect everyone even people not buying the expansion.
    -
    Yes:
    New Map Server, and raised Level, is important for a New Expansion.
    Garrisons = personal customizable quest hub. New not worth an Expansion but as a feature cool.

What other Expansions Offered not found in WoD or in free content updates.

TBC = Flying, Races
    Wrath = Hero Class
    Cat = Races, Old World Flying
    MoP =Race and Class

Free content Updates have always included Raids, Dungeons, Class Changes, Art Updates, and even new Zones.

---
    Example someone who has never purchased an Expansion, but has played since vanilla what would they have access to? BTW have a friend in this boat. I almost fell out of my chair when I found out he has never upgraded his account.
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2014-08-08 at 01:37 AM.