Thread: 3D modeling

3D modeling

I don't know if you all remember me from a few weeks ago, but I had the dream of making my own video game. I decided that, while making a famous video game and making a living out of it seems great, it's very risky. I want to make video games as a hobby. Something I can learn and sink my time into to create something truly wondrous, and it if it becomes famous, awesome! But I think I'd pursue a science career instead (I love science).

So anyway, I have a friend whom has some experience with making games and web apps, and so I asked him several questions. He had told me that to make a game, you generally want to learn 3D digital sculpting with Sculptris, then make your models in Blender/Zbrush/Mudbox, then bake these in blender (This has something to do with shadows?), transfer them to low poly meshes to reduce how many resources each asset takes up, transfer all of these assets (rocks, hills, characters, trees, all created by 3D modeling) to my Unity 3D map, place them around my map however I fancy, and finally, program where enemies, characters, critters, etc. can run through the world and stuff like stealth mechanics and enemy patrols, etc. Also, audio but later.

Is this information correct? Can you all help me and correct me, as well as tell me what is the best program for creating these models?

there isn't much information on this anywhere in the internet so I came here since besides that guy, I don't really have any other fountains of knowledge on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by neffero View Post
    I don't know if you all remember me from a few weeks ago, but I had the dream of making my own video game. I decided that, while making a famous video game and making a living out of it seems great, it's very risky. I want to make video games as a hobby. Something I can learn and sink my time into to create something truly wondrous, and it if it becomes famous, awesome! But I think I'd pursue a science career instead (I love science).

So anyway, I have a friend whom has some experience with making games and web apps, and so I asked him several questions. He had told me that to make a game, you generally want to learn 3D digital sculpting with Sculptris, then make your models in Blender/Zbrush/Mudbox, then bake these in blender (This has something to do with shadows?), transfer them to low poly meshes to reduce how many resources each asset takes up, transfer all of these assets (rocks, hills, characters, trees, all created by 3D modeling) to my Unity 3D map, place them around my map however I fancy, and finally, program where enemies, characters, critters, etc. can run through the world and stuff like stealth mechanics and enemy patrols, etc. Also, audio but later.

Is this information correct? Can you all help me and correct me, as well as tell me what is the best program for creating these models?

there isn't much information on this anywhere in the internet so I came here since besides that guy, I don't really have any other fountains of knowledge on this subject.
    Blender and Sculptris are free but zbrush is better then both for everything but animation. You make a copy of the high poly mesh and decimate it. Then bake the high poly mesh on to the low poly mesh. Everything else is correct.

Use blender unless you want to turn this into a job then get 3d max or maya both are pretty expensive.
    Last edited by Deviant; 2014-08-06 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
    Blender and Sculptris are free but zbrush is better then both for everything but animation. You make a copy of the high poly mesh and decimate it. Then bake the high poly mesh on to the low poly mesh. Everything else is correct.

Use blender unless you want to turn this into a job then get 3d max or maya both are pretty expensive.
    Can I use Blender for modeling, animating, and all that good stuff?

What is decimating? Also what exactly is baking?

Can I use Blender for modeling, animating, and all that good stuff?

What is decimating? Also what exactly is baking?
    Yeah blender has everything in one package but more popular software that isn't open sources is better. They can afford to pay the best of the best. Decimating is reducing a mesh poly count then you bake a normal map onto the model that fakes the extra detail.

Baking, in general, is the act of pre-computing something in order to speed up some other process later down the line. Rendering from scratch takes a lot of time depending on the options you choose. Therefore, Blender allows you to "bake" some parts of the render ahead of time, for select objects. Then, when you press Render, the entire scene is rendered much faster, since the colors of those objects do not have to be recomputed.

Blender is good for modeling. Unity handles the animating and shadows.

But to be honest if you're going to use Unity you should go through the tutorials first, since they give you free assets. Making assets before knowing how to make the game is like buying a car before you know how to drive. (It might look nice but you'll be sitting there for a while wondering how to make stuff happen.)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Blender is good for modeling. Unity handles the animating and shadows.

But to be honest if you're going to use Unity you should go through the tutorials first, since they give you free assets. Making assets before knowing how to make the game is like buying a car before you know how to drive. (It might look nice but you'll be sitting there for a while wondering how to make stuff happen.)
    but aren't they crappy/limited assets? I want to make my own

Also, why not Blender for shadows and animations?

Also, wouldn't it be a good idea to first complete the art - the map, assets, characters/enemies - and THEN build my mechanics?

I already know what game I want, even down to some of the story line.

but aren't they crappy/limited assets? I want to make my own

Also, why not Blender for shadows and animations?

Also, wouldn't it be a good idea to first complete the art - the map, assets, characters/enemies - and THEN build my mechanics?

I already know what game I want, even down to some of the story line.
    Get your mechanics done first because you might have to redesign entire levels so they work. Just because something works in your head doesn't mean it will work when put into code. You can learn to 3d model and script at the same time dual monitors get them they're amazing. You're going to have to set up lights in unity... that is where the shadows come from. Unity can animate not sure if its better then blender at animation tho.
    Last edited by Deviant; 2014-08-06 at 07:58 AM.

Deviant knows what's up about the shadows and lights.

You can make your own assets of course...after you learn how to actually out them together to form a game. Especially since you won't know how things will interact with each other.

You think architects make the blocks and windows and steel frames for buildings before actually knowing how to put them together?

Get your mechanics done first because you might have to redesign entire levels so they work. Just because something works in your head doesn't mean it will work when put into code. You can learn to 3d model and script at the same time dual monitors get them they're amazing. You're going to have to set up lights in unity... that is where the shadows come from. Unity can animate not sure if its better then blender at animation tho.
    So wait, I'm lost. What should I learn first, exactly?

>Do a Unity tutorial so you know you'll actually be comfortable with the program.
    >If yes, learn how to make your own assets at the same time as you work on smaller independent projects to expand your Unity skillset.
    >If no, find team members.

So wait, I'm lost. What should I learn first, exactly?
    1.Scripting
    2.modelling
    3.animations
    4.making all of it work

I program and 3d model but I haven't used a game engine before. 3d Modelling and animating aren't hard but programming is a lot of trial and error.
    Last edited by Deviant; 2014-08-06 at 08:25 AM.

1.Scripting
    2.modelling
    3.animations
    4.making all of it work

I program and 3d model but I haven't used a game engine before. 3d Modelling and animating aren't hard but programming is a lot of trial and error.
    I'm following a tutorial right now to make a basic face and neck mesh, and it's extremely hard on Blender!

But I get what you mean. I'll try scripting with the Unity sample projects first to see what I can work with.

I've looked into what blender and what the end results they can produce are both pretty damn good, is there a significant quality difference? Almost everyone who works with both said the differences are really quite minor. Blender $0 3d max or maya 2000-4000$

Quote Originally Posted by Alasuya View Post
    I've looked into what blender and what the end results they can produce are both pretty damn good, is there a significant quality difference? Almost everyone who works with both said the differences are really quite minor. Blender $0 3d max or maya 2000-4000$
    3DS Max and Maya are free to use for not for profit people because they aren't foolish enough to think non professional people will shell out $3750 for a program. Blender is a free open source program but not the industry standard unlike Autodesk. Everyone uses 3ds max or maya in the professional league, there is no blender, but don't be afraid to learn it just to get into the 3D world.

Everyone who works in 3d uses Maya/zbrush/3d max so if you plan to work in 3d get Maya. If you're a hobbyist just get blender.
    Last edited by Deviant; 2014-08-06 at 08:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Gotta be careful with Zbrush though, you'll accidently create a model with so many polygons that simply having multiple characters on screen could bring your game engine crashing to it's knees.

Maya/3D Max are better for game modeling.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    Gotta be careful with Zbrush though, you'll accidently create a model with so many polygons that simply having multiple characters on screen could bring your game engine crashing to it's knees.

Maya/3D Max are better for game modeling.
    Decimating and normal maps... are a thing now. Most of the models blizzard makes were probably 300,000 to 1 million poly at some point but they were decimate + mapped to work with wow.

Everyone who works in 3d uses Maya/zbrush/3d max so if you plan to work in 3d get Maya. If you're a hobbyist just get blender.
    Would blender be the ideal way to start out as a newbie in 3d modeling? I've been practicing for about a couple weeks or so, starting to get a pretty decent clue of things.

Would blender be the ideal way to start out as a newbie in 3d modeling? I've been practicing for about a couple weeks or so, starting to get a pretty decent clue of things.
    No, Maya would be the best because its the industry standard. Blender is second place because it can animate, sculpt, texture, and all the basic stuff in one package.
    Last edited by Deviant; 2014-08-06 at 09:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd suggest spending the $30 to try Maya LT for a month. You can even get it on Steam now. Its made for Indie Devs, and at $30 a month its kind of steep, but easier to manage then that $500-3000 up front charge.

Its a decent workflow. I prefer ZBrush myself for modeling, but after the models done ZBrush is kind of pointless.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.