Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by talann View Post

When it comes time to vote, suddenly the only thing stuck in your head other than the insects you have been trying to get at with q-tips is Dick Mitchell's name. So you put a yes next to his name

That is actually frighteningly accurate, because the only person I can name that is running for governator of our state is some guy with a goofy as hell name that I only know from these signs.

THEY GOT TO ME! ITS TO LATE! ABANDON SHIP!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    You didn't stop to consider that some people might just think it looks kinda dumb?

Sure, you are free to put up anything on your lawn but it still doesn't look very good - I'd rather see a nice looking lawn and a garden, with maybe a cute picket fence instead of a line of signs? It just looks silly.
    Hes talking about the people that are saying "At least it tells me which of my neighors is an idiot!" not hating on the signs in general :P
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by talann View Post
    If you see enough of these signs, soon you will be discussing them with your imaginary friends, "Man, Dick Mitchell sure has a funny name to be running for senate."
    Dick Armey? What's your wife's name, Vagina Coastguard?
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

Shows me exactly how silly a person is without knowing them. It's like people who love their home country in an overboard fetish sense, yet oddly enough they need to make it clear even though they are surprise in another country. (Go back to your great country if you love it so much, jeez)

Bias/love/hate aside it is almost solely a marketing ploy. Middle class areas have mixed signs in general, slums are generally democratic, and the rich areas are littered with republican signs. Generalizations sure, but largely true. I despise all sides, since it is voting for either a deuchebag or an asshole. What's the difference?
    Stay salty my friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krommm View Post
    Shows me exactly how silly a person is without knowing them. It's like people who love their home country in an overboard fetish sense, yet oddly enough they need to make it clear even though they are surprise in another country. (Go back to your great country if you love it so much, jeez)

Bias/love/hate aside it is almost solely a marketing ploy. Middle class areas have mixed signs in general, slums are generally democratic, and the rich areas are littered with republican signs. Generalizations sure, but largely true. I despise all sides, since it is voting for either a deuchebag or an asshole. What's the difference?
    People who care put it in there yard. These people usually watch new all day and agree with what they are telling them. Their hope in putting signs up is to sway the vote. It may seem annoying to some people but this kind of thing actually works. Not everyone entertains themselves with video games. Most of the older generation still read the newspaper and look for topics to discuss with there friends.

Don't be mad at the signs. it's one more thing for you to look at. There is no real harm in what they are doing and you will probably never see that person or talk to them. It may be annoying for you to see these signs but in the bigger picture, you get to see what america is about. People are able to freely put up signs without being killed or put in a concentration camp for there opinion.

I'm glad the signs do nothing but annoy you. you choose your box of cereal based on the nutritional value, not the fact that a rabbit is jumping around on a commercial making you think about Trix.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you have to put up signs so that your neighbours know not to raise these issues, I think there might be some problems that you need to tackle.
    Psh, I've been at the same house for 3 years, and I've never met my neighbors.
    You didn't stop to consider that some people might just think it looks kinda dumb?

Sure, you are free to put up anything on your lawn but it still doesn't look very good - I'd rather see a nice looking lawn and a garden, with maybe a cute picket fence instead of a line of signs? It just looks silly.
    How about dirt? Plants don't really grow here. Lawns definitely don't grow unless you're rich enough for a hefty water bill every month, and have a ton of free time to fix the soil.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I will usually kick those signs down or spit on them.
    I cut myself on the edginess of trespassing and defacing others' property.

I've seen the odd Vote X sign here in the UK nothing like that though. Makes me chuckle looking at those signs. So many....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    It's like the special cousin of racism, where we get to pick our own color and then hate each other for a whole new reason =)
    Judging people on what they do, instead of who they are, is not related to racism at all.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I sometimes see maybe one sign on someone's yard, but nothing anywhere near what the OP posted. That's just excessive. o_o

We do have a few people who occasionally hang around in town and wave an "IMPEACH OBAMA" banner around or hang it from the overpass. This one dude in the group waves a flag and pumps his fist in the air when you drive by him. He does sort of a Hacksaw Jim Duggan of thing, except without the 2x4.

Last edited by Ciddy; 2014-08-06 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    So you disrespect private property?
    Absolutely.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    The signs do work. They just don't work very well, but they are beyond cheap, so yeah...

This is what it looks like here around election time:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Is this even a thing anywhere other then the US?
    They exist up here, but we tend to only have elections one at a time, rather than all at once like you lot do (we also don't do the electing judges, sheriffs, dogcatchers, etc. thing so we only vote for 4 positions (Mayor, counsellor/alderman, provincial rep, MP) total), so you generally get only 1 sign, or at most, dozens of the exact same sign on someone's lawn.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

We have the yard signs, but not to that extent.

I see one, maybe two of 'em dotted around every once in a while. Never seen a line of them like in that picture.

multiple signs = livelihood in politics (vast majority of time)
    It's like inviting all your political allies over and making sure you didn't miss someone because you might need their support later.

I hate it when other people do things that don't affect me on their property on their own time with their own money.

Deleted
    only ever seen one here in the UK, back in those elections earlier this year someone had a big UKIP banner in his garden and UKIP signs on his house, that was it.

I have no idea how it is in other countries, but here the political divide among citizens is pretty fierce. Liberals hate conservatives, and conservatives hate liberals. As time goes on, this split among the population is only getting more hostile. Those signs are just a nice legal way to spit in the face of those who disagree with you, and proudly boast what you stand for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Judging people on what they do, instead of who they are, is not related to racism at all.
    Judging people on what you think they do, based on a (political) sign in their yard, almost always is. If we're going down that path- that you can accurately or sufficiently judge someone's character, morals, etc, based on them having a 'D' or an 'R' next to their name (or a sign in their yard)... That's at least as bad and corrosive as racism.
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

15+ Year Old Account

These are the kinds of campaign ads we have in Finland....
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.