Page 1 of 2
LastLast

If Mastery = Crit, why not go all crit? [spriest]

Since our mastery is pretty much the equivalent of a crit, why not just go all crit? I'm on heroic Garrosh, and on phase 1 there are plenty of Mind Sear to cast, and mastery is going completly to waste! Why not go all in into crit, have amazing Mind Sears, and yet dots critting anyway?
    Last edited by DiGG; 2014-08-06 at 01:08 PM.

Deleted
    Mind sear is affected by mastery also

Gives your periodic shadow damage spells a 14% chance to deal damage twice, each time they deal damage.

Mind Sear is considered a "periodic" shadow damage spell??

Deleted
    Yes, as is mindflay

Quote Originally Posted by Redsparowe View Post
    Yes, as is mindflay
    It's a little weird. It's basically a channeled DoT debuff. Recount records them as DoTs too I think.

Ok, and what about Mind Blast then? Wouldn't crit affect EVERY spells, and that makes it just a tad over mastery?

Deleted
    I'd say because decreasing numbers (don't know if it's the correct englidh term tho).

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Or you could balance them and get fat double tick crits.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

I believe Mastery procs can also crit.

Which is why we balance both once we reach our desired haste value thus leading to

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    fat double tick crits.
    Last edited by BobAwesome; 2014-08-06 at 02:37 PM.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

Deleted
    Mastery procs can also crit. Also, crit is affected by amp%. Also the stat budget is different. 600 crit rating for 1% vs... 400andsomething for mastery.

There are many reasons

10+ Year Old Account
    <Fat Double Tick Crits> is now recruiting!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zych View Post
    <Fat Double Tick Crits> is now recruiting!
    Disbanded in WoD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because if you stack crit, the stat weights change to favouring mastery over crit until the two are balanced again.
    {[( )]}

A large reason is the 2-pc bonus as well. When your mastery procs crit, you get bonus damage, so you first need a mastery proc and then for it to crit. Balancing the ratings max's this effect.

Outside of that it comes down to spec. Insanity tends to favour Mastery, and FDCL favours crit. So if you don't have the 2pc set bonus, I would lean towards which ever spec you play the most.

With the 2pc though, you want hit cap > Haste DP3 or GCD > 1:1 Mastery to Crit RATING (not percentage)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinalcrack View Post
    With the 2pc though, you want hit cap > Haste DP3 or GCD > 1:1 Mastery to Crit RATING (not percentage)
    Even with the 2-pc, 4-pc and PBoI interactions, the actual weights you'll want to use depend on the fight you're doing. 1:1 is a safe, good overall choice, but you can try tipping to either mastery or crit (up to over 2k of secondary stats) and you'll notice not much of a difference overall. I tip a bit towards crit for Garrosh because even if there's a lot of searing to do in P1, that damage is nothing but meter whoring and is not useful at all (heck your tank alone can bring those adds down to 50%), while the damage that counts is e.g. burning down those engineers and jade temple adds ASAP, and crit will help you more with that than mastery (it benefits Halo, MB and SWD while mastery doesn't).

Same for talents. Talent choice depends on the fight you're doing (and your role in that fight).
    Last edited by Dierdre; 2014-08-06 at 06:19 PM.

Well, in the first intermission, for the temple ads, they kinda die fast enough so the dots dont do much. I would much prefer MBing and MSpiking the hell out of them... or I dot everything and just be sure the one add I make sure doesn't cast? Cuz right now I've been asked to VP 3 guys in "group A", then I go to "group B", VP them, and rape/interupt my particular add.

MBs and MSs would benefit from crit, more so, in that particular case.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    get fat double tick crits.
    I just wanted to say that too.

Also, yeah i believe (as only a mere Shadow OS peasant) that prior to the t16 2-pc crit was more favored, but is no longer cause of that.
    Disc Priests: Just 2 mana trinkets away from becoming Withered

Quote Originally Posted by Spinalcrack View Post
    Outside of that it comes down to spec. Insanity tends to favour Mastery, and FDCL favours crit.
    FDCL won't be affected by crit because Mind Spike procs will always crit anyway.
    Last edited by Azeurus; 2014-08-08 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azeurus View Post
    FDCL won't be affected by crit because Mind Spike procs will always crit anyway.
    They will?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdispersion View Post
    They will?
    no :P

not sure where that information is coming from