Should arcane explosion get buffed so it does more dmg with stacks and who it hits?

What are everyones thoughts on this?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to see Unstable Magic replaced with a talent that makes Arcane Explosion targetable on enemies, gives it a cast time, increases its damage, and makes it generate an Arcane charge whenever at least 3 targets are hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Put simply no. You can already do pretty monstrous stacked aoe with that combined with nether tempest. It really doesn't need a buff.

Deleted
    I think in it's current state increasing the damage arcane explosion does isn't likely to happen. However changing the way it interacts with arcane charges could be something different.

i.e

- When more than x targets are hit arcane explosion generates an arcane charge
    - Arcane charges increases the damage of arcane explosion (but equal to what it does now @ 4 stacks) in my opinion that would input some sort of skill factor with camping 4 charges at the right situations, although tbf I like the way it is now.

is nether tempest a good choice for arcane?

Quote Originally Posted by dreaderus View Post
    Better than UM for sure; SN idk.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

So here's my problem with arcane explosion ramping up with stacks:

1. If stacks increase the damage then it wouldn't really make sense to use arcane barrage except as a finishing blow.
    2. It's in no way difficult to maintain full stacks with arcane explosion, so the skill cap for aoe would be dropped even lower (it's already really low to begin with, if anything lets raise it)
    3. Arcane explosion / barrage in its current state makes for important decisions on wether to use arcane missiles procs to gain stacks to drop them faster or not. Making Arcane explosion ramp up would once again remove any thought process and reduce us to just mindlessly spamming as filler between NT and CDs.

There is something really stupid about how arcane explosion doesn't generate more stacks when used on more mobs, though. If anything it should have an increased stack generation depending on the targets hit. As it stands now you hardly get to arcane barrage.
    Last edited by Stache; 2014-08-07 at 02:44 PM.

That's how I currently see it (18% haste, 1244 spellpower (did guess work for both those values)).

Disclaimer: massive simplification on many parts
    Last edited by Ryme; 2014-08-07 at 04:09 PM.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Am I missing something or why are there NT values for Fire and Frost, who don't get that talent?

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Am I missing something or why are there NT values for Fire and Frost, who don't get that talent?
    You're not missing anything, I totally forgot about that... And I'm leaving work to go on Holiday for a week now, so... yeah, just look at the grey section ^^

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't have time to get to living bomb, time for Scottish highlands!
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I'd like to see Unstable Magic replaced with a talent that makes Arcane Explosion targetable on enemies, gives it a cast time, increases its damage, and makes it generate an Arcane charge whenever at least 3 targets are hit.
    I think that it would be to different from spells original purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Stache View Post
    So here's my problem with arcane explosion ramping up with stacks:

1. If stacks increase the damage then it wouldn't really make sense to use arcane barrage except as a finishing blow.
    2. It's in no way difficult to maintain full stacks with arcane explosion, so the skill cap for aoe would be dropped even lower (it's already really low to begin with, if anything lets raise it)
    3. Arcane explosion / barrage in its current state makes for important decisions on wether to use arcane missiles procs to gain stacks to drop them faster or not. Making Arcane explosion ramp up would once again remove any thought process and reduce us to just mindlessly spamming as filler between NT and CDs.

There is something really stupid about how arcane explosion doesn't generate more stacks when used on more mobs, though. If anything it should have an increased stack generation depending on the targets hit. As it stands now you hardly get to arcane barrage.
    What if Arcane Explosion had the same interaction with mana cost and arcane charges as Arcane Blast?

-generates a charge with each cast
    -50% more damage with each charge
    -Either given a cast time or have the mana cost adjusted to have the same rate of consumption as Arcane Blast while being an instant cast
    -Damage tuned in order to have the same relationship between Barrage and filler

I see this as an improvement over the current iteration. As of right now AE is completely brain dead in its use, so I see this as an improvement while also adhering more to Blizzard's current vision of Arcane.

With respect to where Arcane Missiles would fit into the rotation, the damage of Arcane Explosion could be inflated slightly to allow for camping at 4 stacks for as long as possible before letting charges go with barrage.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Zulantu; 2014-08-07 at 10:25 PM.

The last thing Arcane needs is more stupid ass ramp up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alias Node View Post
    The last thing Arcane needs is more stupid ass ramp up.
    Turn off SCT and make sure you have 4 charges when adds come out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Txiv View Post
    I think that it would be to different from spells original purpose.
    That is why it would be a talent option.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    What u are suggesting will tie you to RoP even more and as im looking your avatar you are not fan of it. Just messing ya mate

On topic - AE is pretty awesome spell right now. It does good damage for instant cast and its the most powerful AoE spell in the mage spell book. I remember when AE was affected by arcane charges back in Cataclysm. It was so clunky to use it like that - 3 AE casts-> 1 AB. One miscalculation and you lose your stacks and basically you are fucked. It was doing monstrous damage (i remember when i was blinking in the molten seeds during raggy hc proggres... good times).The skill cap was higher, but it defetead the initial purpose of the spell - blink into the fry and break your AE keybind button till everything stop to move and you are on top of the damage done

The spell is good as it is now. Maybe... juuuust maybe... they should only increase exponentially the chance of procing charge the more targets it hits, but then it might get too overpowered for AoE situations, due Barrage 100% cleave.

Many cents. Handle it :P

Personal opinion.. I hope not. Not that Arcane couldn't use more stuff.. just not with AE.

IMO (atleast at Lv100), Arcane's AoE is in a decent place right now. AOrb, NTempest, ABarrage, boom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminal Lance View Post
    IMO (atleast at Lv100), Arcane's AoE is in a decent place right now. AOrb, NTempest, ABarrage, boom.
    Using talents to patch up flaws native to the spec is bad design.

What are everyones thoughts on this?
    I think it needs a major glyph to channel it - to save my 6 key and my left hand from permanent damage.