Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Am i the only one craving this kind of game?

Picture yourself in multiplayer game with 4 of your friends.

You start out in a city thats basicly your main hub(until maybe later in the story you come to a different city or w/e). The whole game is litterally about you and 0-4 other friends(can be controlled by AI) doing wow 5-man instance like dungeons(could shift to more open areas sometimes, but more the feeling of it).

I'm talking a bit more holy trinity focused stretegic gameplay then for example a game like d3, but still more action packed then a game like BG2.

The combat could be something like DA1 or 2 without the pause button.

This game would be build around a long and interesting story in a multiplayer setting, and not focussing on a single player campaign.

I know a lot of people say that LAN and nom mmo multiplayer games are dying, but i could really see myself loosing a LOT of hours on a game like this. Especially if you where able to tune the difficulty to your taste and it maybe then brought better rewards(sorta like d3?).

Ofcourse we are talking an exceedingly vast leveling system with maybe both stat points and talent points, plus the whole loot shebang.

If there is allready a game out there like this(thats reasonably new) please point me to it.

I think the closest i've come to this so far are the older Dungeon siege games, but they where still more like hack and slash then strategic-action combat.

Edit:

obvoiously it comes close to the 5-man dungeon experience from wow, where the combat was a bit more like DA. And not as easy as we know it today.

Edit 2:
    A person pointed out to me that everyone might not know the games i'm talking about, so a brief explanation:

d3 = Diablo 3. I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum knows that its about

BG2 = Baldurs Gate 2. Its one of a few really hardcore Dungeons & Dragons games using dice rolls and modifiers to predict the outcome of a battle. Its a fairly old game but considdered classic by many. It has very tactical combat that also allows the player to pause an issue orders in combat.

DA 1 or 2 = Dragon Age 1 or 2. These are fairly new games. They focus around a linier story with sidemissions and have a very active combat system that still has a lot of tactical features to me.
    Last edited by mmoc161019c902; 2014-08-07 at 07:01 PM.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So... like a constant dungeon crawler with DA:O combat?

You just made me want White Castle.

I don't like when it's AI or a real person. It has to be one or the other.

Deleted
    Borderlands?

D3, BG2, DA ... you might want to demystify your game title abbreviations since it's not self-explanatory what you're actually talking about. OK, Diablo 3 is a contemporary game and very popular, but Baldur's Gate 2 is a 14 year old game and the abbreviation might not be common knowledge for everyone meanwhile. I can only assume that "DA" refers to Dragon Age - I guess? Could be anything, it's not like it's a genre-defining milestone everyone should know about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Sounds like Fable: Legends to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Errr... Aarklash: Legacy, maybe? However it's a little bit too repetative for my taste, haven't completed it past the Hydra (killed it and got toooo bored).

10+ Year Old Account
    You might have to break it down like it's five for some of us. (me)

i.e. Nobody makes good castle building games and I long for the days of ramparts filled to the brim with crossbow men and spearmen at the wall!

Stronghold was kind of good, but it could've been better. Does anyone else crave this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Snip.
    Maybe you should stop being casual scum and multibox like a pro. Piss through a Gatorade bottle and all that, you know?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Radoleg View Post
    Borderlands?
    Borderlands is a fps and its far to action oriented compared to tactical for my taste Its not a bad game but its not an RPG.

In case it didnt shine through i'm thinking mostly medieval setting here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I thought one of the last Final fantasy games did that. You know...BASICALLY you cannot even kill one quest mob unless you are in a group.

Now..I appreciate all the MMO stuff and agree that in an online game with others, there should be social interaction, but think a tiny bit beyond your nose.

So everything is tailored to 5 people. You and your friends start off excitedly. Let us even asuume you all go to school and meet whenever you want.
    First weekend, one friend has to do sth with the parents. Second week, one friend is ill. What you do? Find a replacement and quest on? Those guys come back, are stuck on old quests and need to find new buddies?

Now picture people with real commitments. I swear nobody will play a game where you cannot just goof off on your own or where the game finds a couple of randoms for you to solve some tasks.

You may weep for that, but it is just not feasible.
    yeah this is why i said the AI could take over Or maybe Like DA you can make tactical commands for players not being controlled in combat. The player would then be able to just jump back into the action whenever he got on again

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slashkill View Post
    Errr... Aarklash: Legacy, maybe? However it's a little bit too repetative for my taste, haven't completed it past the Hydra (killed it and got toooo bored).
    Not a bad suggestion. it does seem a little to B-title if you get my drift. The game looks OK, but nothing impressive and i was hoping for a 3rd person view. Uhm. The combat SEEMS a little to hack ans slashy? I'm not sure. Its hard to see from the videos

The puzzles seem ok tho, i might give it a try, ty

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Sounds like Fable: Legends to me.
    I heard fable and was skeptical. This looks promising though. Thx man

It might not be everything i searched for but i'l give it a try.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I can't even stand playing something like WoW with my friends, let alone a game where I am forced to.
    You say it would be a story, but also that it would auto-replace missing people with AI... When those people came back they would have missed the entire story between when they left and when they played again.
    You don't view it as a problem, because you put yourself in the role of the person who would always be around playing, but if you are going to think about something story driven for a group of people then you need to think of how story progression impacts everyone individually.

pillars of eternity?

Deleted
    So you want Borderlands but in a more classic rpg style. Replace fps guns with 5 abilities and you have your perfect game.

If you think Borderlands if low on story you got another thing coming, it probably has one of the best stories, villains, side stories, character development and voice acting out of all games in the last 10 years.

Find me 1 person who doesn't have Jack in his top 3 of villains if they played Borderlands 2.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zabusasan View Post
    Borderlands is a fps and its far to action oriented compared to tactical for my taste Its not a bad game but its not an RPG.
    I strongly suggest you do some research before making such statements. As I said, if you replace the guns (and their effects) with action buttons (spells or something) you got the closest thing on the market for the OP you made. :P

Guild Wars?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Yes. me and some friends have talked alot about something like this

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    I can't even stand playing something like WoW with my friends, let alone a game where I am forced to.
    You say it would be a story, but also that it would auto-replace missing people with AI... When those people came back they would have missed the entire story between when they left and when they played again.
    You don't view it as a problem, because you put yourself in the role of the person who would always be around playing, but if you are going to think about something story driven for a group of people then you need to think of how story progression impacts everyone individually.
    This is simply a problem you could discuss with your friends. There are plenty of coop games out there who works in the same way (forced). In any mutliplayer game this is going to happen if you cant play at the same time :P I dont understand why people keep bringin this up as something new lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    So you want Borderlands but in a more classic rpg style. Replace fps guns with 5 abilities and you have your perfect game.

If you think Borderlands if low on story you got another thing coming, it probably has one of the best stories, villains, side stories, character development and voice acting out of all games in the last 10 years.

Find me 1 person who doesn't have Jack in his top 3 of villains if they played Borderlands 2.

- - - Updated - - -

I strongly suggest you do some research before making such statements. As I said, if you replace the guns (and their effects) with action buttons (spells or something) you got the closest thing on the market for the OP you made. :P
    Ehm well i play Borderlands, so thats how i know

There isnt much tactics over it but more just action paces as most fps as(there is nothing wrong with that)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Guild Wars?
    Guild wars is a MMO with a focus on pvp?

Quote Originally Posted by Zabusasan View Post
    Guild wars is a MMO with a focus on pvp?
    Guild Wars is neither an MMO, nor focused on PvP.

I just want more multiplayer games that aren't shooters. Its my least favorite genre and playing by yourself is boring.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Guild Wars is neither an MMO, nor focused on PvP.
    Are you kidding me or something?

http://www.guildwars.com/products/guildwars/default.php

One of our favorite games this year also happens to be the best MMO that was released in 2005."
    - Gamespy—Best MMORPG of 2005, Best Value of 2005, PC Top 10 of 2005

And yes its focused on pvp?
    Last edited by mmoc161019c902; 2014-08-08 at 01:49 AM.

http://www.guildwars.com/support/faq/prophecies-faq.php

Is Guild Wars an MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game)?
    [...]Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game).[...]
    And the existence (and relatively proper balancing) of PvP does not make it focused on PvP; I've spent thousands of hours playing the game, and only tens of those hours playing PvP.