Deleted

How much of an update should i expect to see?

Hi guys

In the next few weeks (within the month) i am planning on building my first PC , but would like to have your opinions and estimates on how much of a difference this would make from my current Pc. My current Pc was handed down to myself from my uncle when he had finshed his latest build.
    The only game i wish to run is World of Warcraft currently on my PC. i usualy run into around 90% CPU usage and also very high Physical Memory with anywhere from 10-30 fps in raids and spikes to 5 fps and such on quick changes to enviroment running on Good Setting in the wow settings with shadows turned off.

- - - Updated - - -
    Current PC specs
    Processor :Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 3.00GHz
    Graphics : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
    Ram : 4.00gb
    system : 32bit
    motherboard Gigabyte Technology GA-N650SLI-DS4L

What kind of FPS and game setting would you imagine i would be able to run with the Current Puppy / Dolphin set up posted. Computer would only be used for World of Warcraft internet browsing and watching netflix pretty much.And with the Specs in the Puppy / Dolphin would it be possible to stream and be able to play with a decent framerate as i would consider streaming Challenge Modes as i sell them and also push top 100 timers in them.

If you need any more info feel free to ask and if i was to pick up the puppy or dolphin setup and able to go with my current PSU which i bought this year being Corsair CX750 Builder Series CX 750W ATX / EPS .What would u suggest i put the money i would spend on the PSU in the Puppy/dolphin set on .

Cheers for all the help guys means alot to help me out thanks.

sorry about the double post unable to edit
    Last edited by mmoc9286c61608; 2014-08-07 at 11:09 PM.

You need to share more information then that. Whats your current specs and what are you going to get?

WoW is known to not use as much of your graphics card but more of the cpu. So if wow is the only game you intend to play I would make sure to get a solid CPU.
    Having a good graphics card will only help you aswell as that is usually the most important part.

If you go for a GTX 780 card for example, thats a very solid card wich will help you for years to come.

Deleted
    Current PC specs
    Processor :Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 3.00GHz
    Graphics : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
    Ram : 4.00gb
    system : 32bit
    motherboard Gigabyte Technology GA-N650SLI-DS4L

Sorry Gawdlock it was going to be one post but had an issue where for some reason it was assuming that my system specs i wrote out was either a link/picture or video which i cant post yet
    Last edited by mmoc9286c61608; 2014-08-07 at 11:08 PM.

You have a decent PSU. 750 is more then enough to run wow. It comes down to the amount of hardware you are putting into the machine, if you are using more then 1 graphics card you might want to consider upgrading if you plan on overclocking your system also.
    If you get a 1000 W power supply for example that should be more then enough power to overclock your entire system aswell as running several cards.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok as I can see your system is out of date.. Like very out of date.

Ram: Get 16 gigs of ram.
    Make sure you have a motherboard wich supports 1600 Mhz (its pretty hard to find one that doesnt now a days)
    More then 1600 Mhz is just a waste of money, the increase in FPS in game is so little its not worth it. (Put more money in CPU and GPU)
    Find a motherboard that has a LG1150 socket for Intel processor and AM3+ for AMD processor.
    Also get 64 bit windows!

How much money are you spending on the PC? If you know ill link you some stuff

Deleted
    Looking at around 350-600 Pounds which is around the same price as the builds that gets posted on the homepage every few months or so which i why i mentioned them in my post as an example of how much i should expect to see in difference of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawdlock View Post
    Ram: Get 16 gigs of ram.
    Find a motherboard that has a LG1150 socket for Intel processor and AM3+ for AMD processor.
    16 gigs is generally speaking overkill as a system will hardly use more than 8 gigs when playing a game and having other applications run in the battleground. You can't blindly buy a motherboard just because it has an 1150/AM3+ socket. Always look up what for kind of socket the cpu has that you're buying or you may get an incompatible setup.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mitbrandir View Post
    16 gigs is generally speaking overkill as a system will hardly use more than 8 gigs when playing a game and having other applications run in the battleground. You can't blindly buy a motherboard just because it has an 1150/AM3+ socket. Always look up what for kind of socket the cpu has that you're buying or you may get an incompatible setup.
    Could you give me any tips on what i have posted so far ?

Cheers

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A, Socket-1150
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
    CPU cooler: Corsair H100i (optional)
    RAM: Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 16GB KIT
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB PhysX CUDA
    PSU: Corsair RM1000, 1000W PSU
    Windows 7/8.1 64-bit. (Make sure to NOT buy OEM version).
    (OEM version means that it can only be used with that specific HDD and motherboard you install it with, so if you replace it later you have to buy another windows version)

This build is a bit overkill for wow. But it will last you a very long time. If you are looking for something that will last I would go with this
    If you have overclocking experience you have alot of options. Its relatively easy now, just look up guides on youtube

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on your budget total and what you can reuse.
    Though CX PSUs aren't exactly the most reliable but if it's been working flawlessly so far no point in replacing.

8GB RAM is enough for most people.

You'll need a new OS however as a 32bit OS can not handle more than 4GBs of RAM.

Deleted
    (OEM version means that it can only be used with that specific HDD and motherboard you install it with, so if you replace it later you have to buy another windows version)

This build is a bit overkill for wow. But it will last you a very long time. If you are looking for something that will last I would go with this
    If you have overclocking experience you have alot of options. Its relatively easy now, just look up guides on youtube

how much would this build cost roughly ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawdlock View Post

RM1000... for 1 video card, is not what I call smart. The system isn't going to pull more than 500W-600W in the most stressing scenario.
    Also what's wrong with OEM? (the only one you can get other than MSDN)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevybobo View Post
    how much would this build cost roughly ?
    Rough estimate from what I remember is 1.5k

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Depends on your budget total and what you can reuse.
    Though CX PSUs aren't exactly the most reliable but if it's been working flawlessly so far no point in replacing.

8GB RAM is enough for most people.

You'll need a new OS however as a 32bit OS can not handle more than 4GBs of RAM.

Not ran into any issues at all with the PSU so would be looking to reuse. Budget is around 300-600 GBP(Great British Pounds)

10+ Year Old Account
    Not ran into any issues at all with the PSU so would be looking to reuse. Budget is around 300-600 GBP(Great British Pounds)
    Do you have hard drives that you can reuse and such things like that or would you need one.

Deleted
    RM1000... for 1 video card, is not what I call smart. The system isn't going to pull more than 500W-600W in the most stressing scenario.
    Also what's wrong with OEM? (the only one you can get other than MSDN)
    Rough estimate from what I remember is 1.5k

Ah okay that would be way out my price range as mentioned would be looking around 300-600 Pounds which would be around the same price as the Puppy and dolphin builds that are posted on the homepage every few months

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have hard drives that you can reuse and such things like that or would you need one.
    Have a 2 terabyte hard drive that i have that i think could last me untill i drop down dead :P so wouldnt need a new hard drive.
    Have 2 very new monitors keyboard headset and mouse so would just be the computer with the exception of PSU and Harddrive

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Couple things, one is that every month mmo-champ has the recommended systems up which are a great starting point. I definitely recommend 16 gigs of ram. As for the difference between your current system, keep in mind that the wow engine is often constricted at the server and the bottleneck for certain things won't be your PC. Particularly, during periods of a lot of people being on your screen in an area. I have a water-cooled very high-end new cpu and video card and even for me frame rates can be low sometimes. For example, I don't care what system you build, do For the Horde/Alliance and you're guaranteed to drop to low frame rates because Blizz's engine just isn't good about supporting that many people in an area. On 1 realm I was on, one faction would intentionally send huge groups to the other faction's capital city to bring it to a crawl.

So what I'm saying is, you'll be able to crank up your gfx to Ultra or High with a new system and it will be pretty most of the time. And it will help somewhat in raids. But don't be disappointed if at certain times like FtH/FtA, Ordos, Celestials with 40, very possibly the upcoming Tarren Mill/SouthShore 100v100, or the 40 man Molten Core raids, are slow even with a new system. I have hoped it was something Blizz would fix at some point (I have been in much larger more detailed mmos with more players at once in an area no problem), but I think it's just in the engine and something that would probably take a "wow 2" to really fix. I've always thought it was ironic that the biggest mmo can't support a lot of players in 1 area well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    Couple things, one is that every month mmo-champ has the recommended systems up which are a great starting point. I definitely recommend 16 gigs of ram. As for the difference between your current system, keep in mind that the wow engine is often constricted at the server and the bottleneck for certain things won't be your PC. Particularly, during periods of a lot of people being on your screen in an area. I have a water-cooled very high-end new cpu and video card and even for me frame rates can be low sometimes. For example, I don't care what system you build, do For the Horde/Alliance and you're guaranteed to drop to low frame rates because Blizz's engine just isn't good about supporting that many people in an area. On 1 realm I was on, one faction would intentionally send huge groups to the other faction's capital city to bring it to a crawl.

So what I'm saying is, you'll be able to crank up your gfx to Ultra or High with a new system and it will be pretty most of the time. And it will help somewhat in raids. But don't be disappointed if at certain times like FtH/FtA, Ordos, Celestials with 40, very possibly the upcoming Tarren Mill/SouthShore 100v100, or the 40 man Molten Core raids, are slow even with a new system. I have hoped it was something Blizz would fix at some point (I have been in much larger more detailed mmos with more players at once in an area no problem), but I think it's just in the engine and something that would probably take a "wow 2" to really fix. I've always thought it was ironic that the biggest mmo can't support a lot of players in 1 area well.
    Thanks for your input so would you reckon the dolphin setup for the last computer setup of the month would be able to handle the higher setting in wow ? and possibly stream ?

10+ Year Old Account
    You could go with something like this for a bit lower price range but OC the CPU to living hell and get pretty good performance for WoW.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor (£44.34 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.98 @ CCL Computers)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£77.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£59.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£53.94 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card (£149.99 @ Ebuyer)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£44.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£79.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £536.15
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-08 00:51 BST+0100

or for a better CPU
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£165.90 @ Ebuyer)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.98 @ CCL Computers)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£77.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£59.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card (£149.99 @ Ebuyer)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£44.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£79.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £603.77
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-08 00:52 BST+0100

Removing the SSD at the same time however.

If you want to stream you'd go for the 2nd set up here.

Ah okay that would be way out my price range as mentioned would be looking around 300-600 Pounds which would be around the same price as the Puppy and dolphin builds that are posted on the homepage every few months
    Yeah there are some pretty decent $1000 (600 GBP) builds on sites like http://www.cyberpowerpc.com. This is where I bought my current computer, and where my 2 brothers have bought all theirs (desktops and laptops). Even the cheapest one from here will be plenty fine to run WoW. Dunno if they ship to the UK for a reasonable amount but there's probably sites out there like that for the UK.

Really for WoW you could get away with an i5 processor or better, 8GB RAM (any speed), Nvidia GTX 560 or higher (so 560, 570, 660, 760 would likely be in your price range). Any other fancy specs are not really a consideration for WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post

When a lot of people are on your screen, that is the bottleneck on the CPU, not the server. Server doesn't care about frame rates, it only cares about sending and receiving information. If it's not sending to or receiving information from you, things would be frozen, not frame dropping.

No system can handle a constant 60FPS at the moment.