Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Anyone wish Item level would go away in WoD?

Title pretty much says it all, does anyone else wish Item Level would just go away?

I'm someone who raided pretty much "Hardcore" from 2004-2011 before taking nearly 3 years off from the game. It saddens me to see people with 540+ item levels with completely ungemmed, unenchanted gear getting chosen to do even old content before me because of a fucking 3 digit number. On a daily basis i find myself outhealing, out dpsing and out living players with much much higher item levels than I am. I can't be the only one, it's sickening. Thoughts?

It would only get replaced by something else like GearScore. If you are really as good as you say you are, then you shouldn't have much of an issue getting equal to or better ilvl than those who aren't as good.

Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    Title pretty much says it all, does anyone else wish Item Level would just go away?

I'm someone who raided pretty much "Hardcore" from 2004-2011 before taking nearly 3 years off from the game. It saddens me to see people with 540+ item levels with completely ungemmed, unenchanted gear getting chosen to do even old content before me because of a fucking 3 digit number. On a daily basis i find myself outhealing, out dpsing and out living players with much much higher item levels than I am. I can't be the only one, it's sickening. Thoughts?
    I wouldn't mind it going away. It's convenience I feel was more detrimental to the game than beneficial.

People are too concerned about getting that number than seeing what kind of gear they actually have via armory like they used to. And it isn't representative of dps meters either. I've been in plenty where I've had a much lower ilvl and did way more, and even some where I had higher and somehow someone with 10 or 15 lower than me did more.

I think it just had an extremely undesirable impact on the community in general.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    It would only get replaced by something else like GearScore. If you are really as good as you say you are, then you shouldn't have much of an issue getting equal to or better ilvl than those who aren't as good.
    You can't solo raids, so this statement doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I think you can still find groups but you have to spam a lot more and try a lot harder just to get invited. And typically that's with OQueue or Openraid in which you won't be making a lasting impression with anyone that could invite you to regular runs.

So you really are typically stuck getting that desired high ilvl and getting into pugs if you're not in a guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well my time doesn't always warrant being able to raid with old guildies. I've made my own groups for things and sometimes it goes well sometimes player are like "oh this noob has a 510 ilvl he can't run ToT! You gotta be 540+!" /facepalm. And it seems on certain toons I have terrible luck in LFR week after week. I could probly get all my PvP prideful and be better off doing that because of the Oh so greatness of item level.

this 1000 times. gearscore was even worse then ilevels being displayed.
    Imagine if life really was fair, and all the bad things that happen to you happen because you deserved them.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's really no way around people doing horribly in raids short of implementing a system that punishes people for being under a certain average (which I've recommended). Even if they were in full heroic gear, gemmed, enchanted, etc. they could still be half afk and completely blow. Item level is actually a good thing. At least you know people have to be at a certain minimum before they can even queue for groups. That way you know what to look for and can kick them if they're being retarded.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Deleted
    everything has been said already. We had gearscore. Now we have ilvl. what will happen if ilvl goes away? exactly =)

No. Good players get good gear in no time and have no problem with checking people their stuff. If you don't play for 3 years just do LFR, world bosses, Flex, normal, HC in that order. You will gear up in no time. But only if you are really a good player. If you are not a good player this journey will end at flex pug raiding.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

If Blizzard hid or removed Item Level from items and addons, then someone would make a mod that gives items a score based on the amount of stats they provide.

In other words, item level isn't going anywhere.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Well my time doesn't always warrant being able to raid with old guildies. I've made my own groups for things and sometimes it goes well sometimes player are like "oh this noob has a 510 ilvl he can't run ToT! You gotta be 540+!" /facepalm. And it seems on certain toons I have terrible luck in LFR week after week. I could probly get all my PvP prideful and be better off doing that because of the Oh so greatness of item level.
    Well actually you would be better off with Prideful, PVP items have the same PVE stat allocation as PVE items, Flex gear is worse until it is upgraded 3/4 which is a lot of work/time to put into upgrading shitty flex gear. I could even gear a Prot Warrior in full Prideful with all the Crit/Mastery available.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

OP join a decent guild and upgrade your gear.

WOW should simply adopt the same system as WOW Progress, or something similar, their PVE Score. Basically this is a way to rank players every tier, just like PVP ratings.

That would solve all the problems in the world. Think about it for 2 seconds.. based on previous tier ranking you could make it so people are not eligeable to gear from LFR and Flex (finally, no more LFR feels mandatory threads), you could do a real "LFR", scaling the difficulty based on the pve score of the group.

Plus it's something else for character progression instead of gear.. gear is fun, but it's complete RNG... while your personal rating is completely up to you.

Most of the frustrations in this game are based on the fact grouping is done by gear level instead of skills/experience levels.. let's face it. If people were always playing with people similar to them and doing progression that way, it would be much much much better. That is for non-premade obviously, you can always carry people with pre-made, that's a given.

15+ Year Old Account

Most people who want ilevel to go away don't perform up to their level which is the reason they want it to disappear. Even if they removed it another system would be created to judge your overall gear level.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

And Ilvl is non biased unlike Gearscore was it would drop your score if you had the celestial steed or even if you were one of the classes the creator of the addon didn't like

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    And Ilvl is non biased unlike Gearscore was it would drop your score if you had the celestial steed or even if you were one of the classes the creator of the addon didn't like
    Really was there ever any evidence of that?

I think it should stay but they should also stop scaling it up so much. Kind of retarded in MoP when dps was doubling within 20 ilevels. Blizzard is also using ilevels as a way of attunements for lfr which I am ok with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    Haha that's awesome.

It would just get replaced with gearscore in a heartbeat, and do we really want that?

It saddens me to see people with 540+ item levels with completely ungemmed, unenchanted gear getting chosen to do even old content before me because of a fucking 3 digit number.
    If it makes you so sad, fix it. You don't even have to set foot in Normal anymore to break 550. Get the work done and stop complaining.

As a raid leader, I love iLvl. I don't care about your "hardcore" playing that ended 3 years ago. That's as relevant to me as what you had for breakfast yesterday. What does the fact that you raided Hardcore in 2011 bring to my run? Literally nothing.

Is iLvl a perfect indicator of performance? No. But it's a hell of a lot better than nothing. If I have to bring a complete stranger to my run, I'm going to take the guy who is 565 with a cloak over the 530 dude who "totally promises" he knows what he's doing.

Sorry if that makes you sad.

This thread is full of so many clueless people acting like they know anything about anything. Seriously, it's actually entertaining to watch.

His complaint is that he's guildless and LFR puts him under 530. If he spends a few months of doing Ordos, Celestials and getting valor upgrades and finally getting the cloak, he'll push 550 at some point.

The only legitimate answers to this question are: Join a guild or only host your own flex runs so you can actually get into one. You will not break 540 in a short amount of time even if you were an ex Blood Legion player if you try and do everything guildless.
    Blizzard has forgone the route of taking risks with their stories and has decided that
    pandering to the rebellious pre-teen mindset is a safer bet. Thanks Metzen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Most people who want ilevel to go away don't perform up to their level which is the reason they want it to disappear. Even if they removed it another system would be created to judge your overall gear level.
    I want it to disappear because of players with High Ilvls that don't take the time to gem, enchant their gear or learn how to play their class. Which in MY experiences is a vast majority of players. Such things should be a factor in your Item Level score because that shit is just ridiculous. Even if it doesn't go away Blizzard should tweak it.
    Last edited by tj119; 2014-08-08 at 06:50 PM.