Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New Universe Creation Theory: Four-Dimensional Black Hole

Basically, a four dimensional star collapses into a 4 dimensional dies, explodes as a supernova (causing outer layers to shoot out violently while the inner layers collapse into a 4 dimensional black hole.

More details below.

(source: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/ph...wned-universe/ )

Canadian astrophysicist Niayesh Afshordi and his colleagues have turned to an idea first proposed 13 years ago. In that model, our 3D universe is merely a membrane—also known as a brane—floating through a 4D “bulk universe:”

Ashfordi’s team realized that if the bulk universe contained its own four-dimensional (4D) stars, some of them could collapse, forming 4D black holes in the same way that massive stars in our Universe do: they explode as supernovae, violently ejecting their outer layers, while their inner layers collapse into a black hole.

In our Universe, a black hole is bounded by a spherical surface called an event horizon. Whereas in ordinary three-dimensional space it takes a two-dimensional object (a surface) to create a boundary inside a black hole, in the bulk universe the event horizon of a 4D black hole would be a 3D object — a shape called a hypersphere. When Afshordi’s team modelled the death of a 4D star, they found that the ejected material would form a 3D brane surrounding that 3D event horizon, and slowly expand.
    Afshordi’s team believes that the universe—its stars, nebulae, planets, even us—might be that very membrane, and that its inflation might be triggered by motion through a “higher-dimensional reality.” In other words, we might be living in a brane around the event horizon of a collapsed hyperdimensional star that gave birth to the universe.

It’s a bold claim—but one that solves a handful of problems in fundamental physics. Read Merali’s article for more details, and watch NOVA’s “Origins: Back to the Beginning” to learn more about other theories behind the creation of the universe.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting if mathematically possible after several tests and grueling study

Deleted
    These kind of things creep me the hell out...
    I remember reading something like *the space is still expanding* where the hell is it expanding?? whats beyond space?? where is space going?? what does he want

Not really what we are looking for when we ask how the universe was created. What we really want to know is why is there something rather than nothing in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko031 View Post
    I remember reading something like *the space is still expanding* where the hell is it expanding?? whats beyond space?? where is space going?? what does he want
    Correct, the universe is still expanding. You can see it due to something called Red Shift which is where as things are moving away from you very fast, the light they emit shifts towards the red end of the spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Thessik-Irontail View Post
    Not really what we are looking for when we ask how the universe was created. What we really want to know is why is there something rather than nothing in the first place.
    Well you can't find out why until you know how it was made. That's kinda square 1.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

i wish there was some way to know why it all exists. from the first four-dimensional black hole to the last, and everything within and around them. even the empty space these things sit in. even gods, if they exist. certainly nothing can just always be there, infinitely existing not just into the future but into the past as well.

what i mean is, certainly there must be a start point. a point at which there was truly, absolutely nothing. not even empty space, just nothing.
    Last edited by derpkitteh; 2014-08-08 at 10:18 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Correct, the universe is still expanding. You can see it due to something called Red Shift which is where as things are moving away from you very fast, the light they emit shifts towards the red end of the spectrum.
    The further away the object the greater the red shift. It has nothing to do with speed. Incidently not only is the universe still expanding it is expanding at an increasing rate. They think this is due to an unknown variable called dark energy.

There are many theories about 4d space-time, dimensions and parallel universes. Some or all can be predicted with math, but that doesn't prove they exist merely proving it could exist from a mathematical standpoint. I don't buy this black hole theory mainly because black holes aren't this potent force we once thought, they have a very limited sphere of influence and tend to fizzle (evaporation) out after a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by profanity79 View Post
    The further away the object the greater the red shift. It has nothing to do with speed. Incidently not only is the universe still expanding it is expanding at an increasing rate. They think this is due to an unknown variable called dark energy.

There are many theories about 4d space-time, dimensions and parallel universes. Some or all can be predicted with math, but that doesn't prove they exist merely proving it could exist from a mathematical standpoint. I don't buy this black hole theory mainly because black holes aren't this potent force we once thought, they have a very limited sphere of influence and tend to fizzle (evaporation) out after a while.
    Cosmological redshifts do seem to correspond to the rate of distance increase from Earth, just reading about it. It works like a Doppler effect, so if it's accelerating then the red shift will be more pronounced. I should've put acceleration rather than speed, whilst distance is obviously the main reason it is affected by acceleration. Thanks for the correction.

For those wondering the rate of expansion of the universe is the Hubble Constant, just if anyone wants to read about it. It's how we work out the age of the universe.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    what i mean is, certainly there must be a start point.
    Why there "must" be?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Why there "must" be?
    because it just doesn't seem like there could be a true infinity. when you think about it it feels... weird. like, just can't wrap your head around it. everything we know of in life has a point were it starts, and most things have a point where it will end. it would only be logical to assume that even god would have a point where it started to exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've studied black holes. I really am somewhat terrified to see the math for a 4D back hole.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Whatever you do, don't dwell on the idea of what lies beyond space or what existed before space. Its just an unfathomable thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Thessik-Irontail View Post
    Try this if you have an hour to spare:
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's a 4th dimension?

10+ Year Old Account
    the part that the universe is expanding is not the part that boggles me, its the part that isnt really covered: if everything is always expanding, then at some point there is an edge, and on the other side of that edge is something different...

but i suppose that would lend support to the OPs post.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    What's a 4th dimension?
    A fourth dimension is an axis that's orthogonal to the three axes you're familiar with. It's almost(?) impossible to visualize, but it can be described quite clearly mathematically.

I did manage to visualize a tesseract using time as the fourth dimension. Time can certainly be viewed as a dimension and is in fact mathematically a dimension in Minkowski space, however I don't think the fourth dimension the OP speaks about is time.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Whatever you do, don't dwell on the idea of what lies beyond space or what existed before space. Its just an unfathomable thought.
    Beyond space is hyper-space and before time we had hyper-time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JonTargaryen View Post
    A fourth dimension is an axis that's orthogonal to the three axes you're familiar with. It's almost(?) impossible to visualize, but it can be described quite clearly mathematically.

I did manage to visualize a tesseract using time as the fourth dimension. Time can certainly be viewed as a dimension and is in fact mathematically a dimension in Minkowski space, however I don't think the fourth dimension the OP speaks about is time.
    I used a good trick to nearly visualise a fourth dimension.

You get a dot, add another one to make a line, you have one dimension.

Place a 3rd dot so they are all the same distance from each other, you need a second dimension to make this possible and get a triangle. However if you keep you view in 1 dimension it seems to be in the centre of the line, but somehow behind it.

Now the fourth dot, equal distance from all again, needs the third dimension to make a pyramid. Again from the 2 dimensional view the point appears in the middle of the shape, but somehow behind it.

Finally you need a fifth dot, equal distance from the other four, and that needs a fourth dimension. In three dimensions it would appear to be in the centre of the object, but somehow it is further back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not long ago humans thought we were the center of everything. I wouldn't be surprised if another theory were proven in a few hundred years that proves we are nothing but organisms living in the remains of another universe's trash.

10+ Year Old Account
    I LOVE this sort of thing! I was fortunate enough to watch the original COSMOS on PBS in 1980 as a 10 yr old kid. Carl Sagan became one of my favorite ppl & a hero of mine b/c of the way he explained & helped visualize all the theories of the Universe. My Grandma loved him too & got the hardback COSMOS book for Christmas that year & I looked @ it every chance I got ^_^

I watch & re-watch the BBC's Parallel Universes series, PBS/NOVA's The Elegant Universe, anything w/ String Theory and/or M (membrane) Theory, anything w/ Michio Kaku (who ice skates beautifully btw ^^), Brian Greene, BBC's Wonders of the Universe w/ Brian Cox & of course everyone's favorite in the last few yrs, Neil deGrasse Tyson who actually got to meet Carl Sagan & go to his house for dinner when he was a student!

I really can't get enough & never tire of any of it, even it I can't completely comprehend it all or do the damn math.

OT; I have always loved ideas & new(er) theories like this even though I have a hard time with the math. I have found that visual explanations of the math help me out quite a lot in understanding wtf is going on ^_^

Here is a favorite that I found 6-7 yrs ago & go back to now & then to remind me that there are most likely up to 10-11 more dimensions & not to get stuck viewing things from just my own POV. This video shows so elegantly the difference just 1 higher dimension makes~

kintsukuroi
    ‘golden repair’, is the Japanese art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer. The aesthetic philosophy focuses on imperfections rather than attempting to disguise them, with the intention that the piece becomes both more valuable and more beautiful because of its history and for having been broken.

I thought the 4th dimension was supposed to be time. How does that work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.