Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It's fashion, not prostitution. Maybe a bit grumpy-old-man of me, but I do think our culture way overemphasizes the unattainable ideal and plays up too much the sexually suggestive trope. Again, I can't help but think 'they keep shoving this stuff in people's faces and then act shocked when someone reaches out to grab it'.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    yeah the one with the girl bending over was pretty bad for a clothes ad.
    Indeed, i'll need to the see those who modeled the shoot and punish them for it.

I don't get the problem. I checked their back to school section and their youth section. Both didn't have a single revealing picture. So it was only the ones that were removed?

And even about those... I still don't get the problem. You people do realize that those same teenage girls browse for underwear, right? But dear mother of God if they see 10% of a models panties in another picture.

Do you people even know what teenagers wear to school nowadays? I picked up my niece from school a few days ago; Half the girls aged 14 and over were wearing those see-through tops that celebrities seem to be crazy about. It's time to wake up people. We don't live in the 50's. Your daughters know what lingerie looks like, and they're buying it with good reason. (Hint: There's a boy involved.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    The point is that you see women complaining about how awful these things are that are aimed at and solely purchased by women...so the power is COMPLETELY in their hands to change it. You have literally all the power as the target consumer here, so vote with your wallet. If the products keep getting purchased and the advertising remains successful, then there is a disconnect that needs to be addressed.
    This is why this thread was created? To inform people, and make them more conscious consumers? To tell them, what they are opening their wallet for? We are addressing the disconnect of products like this still getting bought?

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I don't really understand the problem...
    Perhaps it went over my head...
    But sex and its appeal is everywhere, it's really that simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find the censored image over the panties to be funny. God are we that prudish?

Anyway, I don't really care who American Apparel is and I've never seen one of their ads until this thread.

Sex sells, why is this news?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

But the people buying the products already see the advertising. Just like the magazine covers, it's not like they're hidden. So why are they still selling?
    Not necessarily. If you're a women going straight to the womens section you might not see that the same ads are plastered over the back to school section. There are people that could be supporting this company out of ignorance. They might not have purchase these items had they known about the ads. That's why people raise awareness for things to inform as many people as possible.

But the people buying the products already see the advertising. Just like the magazine covers, it's not like they're hidden. So why are they still selling?
    Teens, just like adults like rebelling. When conservative mom says wear your turtle neck to school like a nice girl, and the girl sees an add she knows will attract boys. Well there we go. Perfect target advertising.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DSQ91 View Post
    And even about those... I still don't get the problem. You people do realize that those same teenage girls browse for underwear, right? But dear mother of God if they see 10% of a models panties in another picture.
    When it indicates showing of the underwear to provoke/attract males (or whatever), it is somewhat of a problem. Those two pictures weren't to show off the underwear as a product of comfort or glamour...

Quote Originally Posted by DSQ91 View Post
    Do you people even know what teenagers wear to school nowadays? I picked up my niece from school a few days ago; Half the girls aged 14 and over were wearing those see-through tops that celebrities seem to be crazy about. It's time to wake up people. We don't live in the 50's. Your daughters know what lingerie looks like, and they're buying it with good reason. (Hint: There's a boy involved.)
    So we should encourage our female youth to act and look like prostitutes/sluts/whatever, and buy the most provocative clothing, so boys will give them attention? Or you know, teach them to wear respectable clothing, so people will take them serious and not look at them as a piece of meat?

Deleted
    was the school one actually aimed at kids?

15+ Year Old Account
    I did read it. The point I made is fairly simple.

When did I say anything like that?

The point is that you see women complaining about how awful these things are that are aimed at and solely purchased by women...so the power is COMPLETELY in their hands to change it. You have literally all the power as the target consumer here, so vote with your wallet. If the products keep getting purchased and the advertising remains successful, then there is a disconnect that needs to be addressed.
    You said it when implying that if ads are aimed towards women, depicting women as sluts - they are not sexist. Most would argue that women getting depicted as pseudo-prostitutes are as big of a problem for both mens view and women views of themselves (speaking generally not that every man/woman fall for it).

Voting with a wallet well yea I can agree but I agree even more with restrictions within some areas of commercial ads wether it be imposed warning signs on alcohol, tobacco or in this case sexistic ads that however depens on country/states and are up to them.
    But the ads are extremly sexist and I find it appauling that merchendise aimed at young people still easily affected regarding their self image get depicted as sluts and spreading their legs.

Deleted
    Because a lot of people aren't responsible consumers regarding all products?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    When it indicates showing of the underwear to provoke/attract males (or whatever), it is somewhat of a problem. Those two pictures weren't to show off the underwear as a product of comfort or glamour...

So we should encourage our female youth to act and look like prostitutes/sluts/whatever, and buy the most provocative clothing, so boys will give them attention? Or you know, teach them to wear respectable clothing, so people will take them serious and not look at them as a piece of meat?
    What exactly is the problem? Sex? Is nudity bad? I ask myself those questions, and I don't think it makes girls sluts to want to attract males.

It was under the back to school collection on their website.

Pretty sure a teenage, young adult target. Kids wont have much an interest.

Misread my bad, lol. I'm weening myself off coffee. it's getting so bad I think I can smell it in the freezer.
    Last edited by Mermaid; 2014-08-09 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    Now you're just contradicting yourself.
    You must have misinterpreted then. Explain at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it was in the ladies mini skirt section.

The collection was called 'Back to school', but appears to have been aimed at adults - no Spiderman pencil cases or Barbie lunchboxes in sight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    What exactly is the problem? Sex? Is nudity bad? I ask myself those questions, and I don't think it makes girls sluts to want to attract males.
    Problem isn't attracting males, at all. Wishing for attention is very natural but doing it with the indication of sex or fantasy about nudity, is rather shallow and to be honest not something I and a lot of other people, want to teach young people. I want them to respect and attract each other with personality and charm, not who can put on the tightest top over their tits.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    No, it was in the ladies mini skirt section.

The collection was called 'Back to school', but appears to have been aimed at adults - no Spiderman pencil cases or Barbie lunchboxes in sight.
    Yea its adults sort of target group 18-34 not sure if many consider a 18 year old suitable to withstand a companies agenda to portay 'be a slut = good' though or a few years older for that matter