Poll: What you prefer for multi FPS games?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post

Go watch pro console tourneys and watch what they do. They do exactly that.
    isn't it funny though that you have to watch PRO console tournements to see what mediocre pc players do naturally.

the movement aspect of the analogue isn't as appealing to overcome the aiming shortcomings, on pc to move slower you either crouch or go prone. or use your walk modifier shift/caps lock.

there is plenty of whining on any platform, personally i do appreciate the lack of squeakers on pc.

buttons aren't a huge part of it, unless we are talking about games like arma, but one thing the consoles usually do not have is a lean option, i like being able to Q / E around corners. just another level of depth thats simply non existant in the console counterpart. although i do vaguely remember black ops on pc having lean. i can't remember if the console version had it.

then again i think the pacing on either platform is entirely different, consoles favour more instant gratification faster paced running around death matching, twitch kills and speed, where as the pc favours camping & tactics beyond rushing around. more of a mixed bag on the pc. to do well on console you really do need to be running around all the time to get the drop on ppl, where as for the shooters i play at least it will always be one team attacking and one team defending / camping. so you basically decide at the start, do i want to be rushing around or do i want to camp.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-08-10 at 09:45 AM.

PC.

The thing is, mouse and keyboard is far, far superior to the first person shooter genre in terms of controls rather than controllers. I even argue that controller support for the FPS genre has dumbed down the genre entirely.

One argument I always hear is that movement is "more accurate" on analog sticks, but I disagree. Analog sticks are usually more suited to any game with 8-directional movement. I'm speaking for spectacle fighters like Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, or a game like Dark Souls. In first person shooters - you move forward, strafe, and walk backwards. Walking slower, and then faster depending on where you adjust your analog stick isn't really helpful. I honestly would prefer it if controllers used d-pad for movement instead of analog sticks, because it's more accurate. The only use I see out of analog sticks is the analog button for uses like sprinting, crouching, etc...

But in the end of the day, mouse and keyboard is superior

Mouse - Could get away with high sensitivity, alongside the amount of stopping power you have with the palm of your hands. This makes aim assist irrelevant in the M&K set up.

Keyboard - WASD is more press based than adjust based. Alongside potential of holding more than 2-4 weapons.

Analog sticks - Focusing on holding to the edge, alongside the controls being more thumb focused than palm focused. It's more comfortable, but far less accurate.

I actually would love it if consoles came with mouse and keyboard support. I would love to play Metroid Prime with M&K setup, and I probably would enjoy Halo or Killzone if they came with mouse and keyboard support. Unfortunately, there is no options.

I just can't play FPS games on a controller, it's so frustrating.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

going to have to point out before this thread goes further. Asking this question of a pc gaming websites forum is like asking on a pepsi forum if coke is better or pepsi.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Precision aiming is harder on consoles, that is pretty much just fact. However, it is far from impossible and can after x amount of time, become just as enjoyable as it would be with mouse and keyboard (talking from personal experience here). Also, everybody is handicapped equally, so you aren't handicapping yourself compared to others with using the pad on a console. Gameplay should be pretty much the same.

I will suggest to always turn off auto aim, or whatever it is called, since it takes to much control away from you, and you can't land those good headshots
    theres alot of auto aim bots on pc vs none on consoles.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Slackz View Post
    I never in my life played a FPS on a Console and never will. My last Console was a N64 and thats it forever.

Quite a dumb article to post for this thread. Yea, no shit the consoles will get dominated...the mouse is more accurate. Would the same PC gamers wipe the floor of console gamers if they too used a gamepad? Doubt it.

99% of these poster don't seem to realize that console gaming gives everyone the equal footing of gamepad controls. If someone preferred the gamepad, they are much better off playing online via console so they will compete with others using the gamepad as well.

Notice the bold word: preferred. It's entirely a preference.

Hooking a PC up to a TV only leads to a terrible big screen interface and leaving the person at an extreme disadvantage of playing against other PC gamers a gamepad. See the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    99% of these poster don't seem to realize that console gaming gives everyone the equal footing of gamepad controls. If someone preferred the gamepad, they are much better off playing online via console so they will compete with others using the gamepad as well.
    I think you'll find that its not the gamepad that gives everyone the equal footing its the aim assist. because even if your completely crap with aiming so long as you get the crosshair within an inch of your target it will latch onto their mid-section anyway, so its a matter of ironsight tap up and boom headshot or considering most weapons are fully automatic in these games as soon as it latches on you start spraying and the muzzle climb does everything for you.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-08-10 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    I think you'll find that its not the gamepad that gives everyone the equal footing its the aim assist. because even if your completely crap with aiming so long as you get the crosshair within and inch of your target it will latch onto their mid-section anyway, so its a matter of ironsight tap up and boom headshot or considering most weapons are fully automatic in these games as soon as it latches on you start spraying and the muzzle climb does everything for you.
    You seem to think aim assist auto targets center mass, Which it doesnt. But keep trying for scapegoats.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    You seem to think aim assist auto targets center mass, Which it doesnt. But keep trying for scapegoats.
    well i can see this is chafing ppls epeen so maybe its best to not bother arguing i don't deal in scapegoats, just factual observations (I really don't need to defend pc it holds its own), of all the console shooters i've played it does latch onto the hitbox, and it usually is dead centre, if they are running it will even compensate and follow ahead of the target.

i'm not saying shooters on consoles are terrible (but compared to the same game on pc, yeah they are) and pc master race or anything like that, but after perhaps 20 years of gaming, consoles & fps is simply not as good fundamentally speaking. for the full experience pc all the way. lets not even get into the option to use both control schemes and mods and all the other value for money you get by choosing to pc.

ofc i would say the only real thing console has over pc is comfort, that is its main drawing point and for me its not the controllers i've had red raw thumbs from playing games like fight night for a couple of hours, so its down to the ability to sit on a couch and play your games, then if you have a $300 leather gaming chair its going to be a close competition on what is more comfortable to you. we could also throw in that some ppl just want to put the game into the machine and have it work, which also makes up a large portion of the ppl who decide to console.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-08-10 at 11:08 AM.

Deleted
    You can always hook up kb+mouse to a console, and have the best of PC world and the best of consoles, in the form of whatever title is exclusive for them.
    No you can't kid! And a PC is superior in every way, there is not "best of consoles".

Deleted
    No you can't kid! And a PC is superior in every way, there is not "best of consoles".
    Hate to break it to you but you can. There are pieces of kit you can get that allow a KB/Mouse to work with consoles (Worked on 360, PS3, not sure if they ever got support for XBONE/PS4). They break the TOS but let's be honest, nobody cares about that do they?

EDIT: Back to the topic, for me FPS games feel a lot better on PC. I'm pretty crap at them but I feel like the frustration just gets multiplied exponentially when I have to use a controller as not only do I suck but I also then can't aim for shit either.
    Last edited by mmoc73fb8ac2b2; 2014-08-10 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    I think you'll find that its not the gamepad that gives everyone the equal footing its the aim assist. because even if your completely crap with aiming so long as you get the crosshair within an inch of your target it will latch onto their mid-section anyway, so its a matter of ironsight tap up and boom headshot or considering most weapons are fully automatic in these games as soon as it latches on you start spraying and the muzzle climb does everything for you.
    Wouldn't know, to me aim assist is more of an annoyance than it helps. It will try to target someone that is 1/4 of a screen away even though that isn't your intended target (some sniper on a ledge for example). And no simply pulling the triggers won't net you a kill with aim assist, unless your target is standing still. Aim assist have a hard time keeping sight on a moving target. Disabling aim assist gives better potential IMO.
    Last edited by kail; 2014-08-10 at 11:25 AM.

its going to differ game to game, and range ofc, i think the aim assist really is only there for close to medium range (and complete scrubs that simply can't aim with the sticks), if your sniping you wouldn't really want it, then again, i think i wouldn't be able to play properly without it myself, aiming with analogues is just so damn clunky it doesn't hold a candle to using a mouse.

after all we play shooters to test our aim if nothing else, if your handicapping yourself with a sub-par control scheme, well what is there to say, if your happy playing a fps with a controller more power to you. i will personally never choose to play a fps with a controller over even a $1 mouse & keyboard given the choice between the two.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-08-10 at 12:01 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingolicious View Post
    Hate to break it to you but you can. There are pieces of kit you can get that allow a KB/Mouse to work with consoles (Worked on 360, PS3, not sure if they ever got support for XBONE/PS4). They break the TOS but let's be honest, nobody cares about that do they?
    Too bad the Games don't support Keyboard/Mouse on the Peasantbox. And the great thing about Peasantboxes is, M$ and Sony can just ban you and you can't pay 5€/month to play online ever again LOLZ.

Deleted
    Obviously it will be harder and you will not get the same lvl of accuracy as a K/M player but its still ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingolicious View Post
    Recommending kits like XIM is an equivalent to xpadder being a replacement to actual controller support. I just wish consoles had proper drivers for mouse and allow us to play games like shooters on mouse and keyboard.

Deleted
    Just like a keybinding vs clicking question on this site, its just a fact.

Pc Controls are superior to that on a controller.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol kiddo, you do realise there are EXCLUSIVE titles for some consoles, or your reading comprehension is zero?
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

I strongly prefer console. I find it amusing that people trash on consoles for having slight aim assist. It is still harder than using a mouse.

PC Master Race.