Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Should the blind be able to own firearms?

Now I am all in favour of firearms ownership assuming the owner is competent and is trained, but how can a blind person fulfill this criteria? According the the NRA's own rules, the blind cannot follow rule number 4.

http://training.nra.org/nra-gun-safety-rules.aspx

Know your target and what is beyond.
    Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second.

What do you folks think? Should this disability stop you from owning lethal weapons?

Deleted
    We already allow old people who are virtually blind to drive, so fuck it, why not!

Seriously though, FUCK NO.

If you can hear it, you can shoot it!
    Sig done by ElyPop

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DireDragoness View Post
    If you can hear it, you can shoot it!
    Worked well for Oscar Pistorious.

The use of a firearm requires sight in order to properly identify and engage a threat. Without sight, you cannot truly tell if something at range is threatening or not and you are unable to take aim and fire upon that target.

As such, no, the blind should not be allowed to own firearms. Just as they are not allowed to drive cars or work jobs which require the use of sight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    We already allow old people who are virtually blind to drive, so fuck it, why not!

Seriously though, FUCK NO.
    I am in favour of mandatory eye tests every 5 years, although doing so may infact exclude me from driving until I get glasses (I am going blind).

I don't think anyone should own firearms. But if you are legally blind you should definitely not own one.
    Last edited by Mermaid; 2014-08-09 at 09:09 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    I am in favour of mandatory eye tests every 5 years, although doing so may infact exclude me from driving until I get glasses (I am going blind).
    Unlucky man

And i've read far too many stories of 80 year olds driving 4x4's annihilating families crossing the road due to not seeing them, it kind of begs belief we don't have mandatory eye tests already in addition to the driving test/ renewals.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    I don't think anyone should own firearms.
    There is another thread for that, we are discussing another topic.

According to the NRA...SURE, why not?!

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Worked well for Oscar Pistorious.
    His name is Pistolius, ofcourse he should also have one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    I don't think anyone should own firearms.
    Yer a communist or summin?

Thar be righ logic displayed, obviously a communistillegalimmigrantconstitutionbashingantichrist.

Deleted
    hell no. i am generally in favour of gun ownership as well, but blind people? wtf no.

You shouldn't be able to own a gun if you can't see where you are pointing it. Same thing goes for driving.

Deleted
    Channelling a bit of Orlong/Salandrin there.

Absolutely yes. In fact, I think blind people should have exclusivity on gun ownership.

No, no they should absolutely not. Mace, sure, but not firearms, jesus...

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I don't think anyone should own firearms including cops and military.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    and military.
    See how that works out for you when your enemies come knocking :P

According to the NRA, if you breathe you are qualified to own a firearm and often even that requirement is being overlooked.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    See how that works out for you when your enemies come knocking :P

I have enemies?