Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

What's the WORST part of each of the expansions, in your opinion?

Come on guys, don't be ashamed to say

Vanilla: Game was still pretty new, no one really knew what they were doing, and that was accepted
    TBC: Male Draenei
    WOTLK: Isle of Conquest
    Cata: Hard to pick one, probably questing zones.
    MoP: Pandas

Vanilla: Grinding / Raiding (In hindsight)
    TBC: Classes being pigeonholed. I wanted to be a tank, but I rolled a paladin, so I was stuck as a trash tank / gimmick tank.
    WOTLK: Dungeon finder, kind of took away from community feeling and trade LFG. I liked it as a tank ::shrug::
    Cata: I played for 3 months, leveling was great, everything else was lame. First tier of raiding was dumb. Dungeons weren't fun, etc etc... I can't pin point one specific thing.
    MoP: PvP

Vanilla: The fact that classes were so slow and boring

TBC: Probably the art theme. Extremely dull and boring looking

WoTLK: TOC. What makes it worse is it followed one of the best raids blizzard has ever had. 6 months or something into Ulduar, when most of us werent finished with hard modes, and none of us had killed Yogg 0, we're told to pack our bags and go and kill this training dummy-esque raid boss

Cata: The "being out of mana is fun" mindset ghostcrawler had at the start of Cata. Yes, GC. It is absolutely amazing gameplay, that our healer has to drink for 20 seconds after each trash pack, and unless you got lucky with the 2 set(? or 4 set) mana bonus things, you were basically useless as anything

MOP: Torn between the legendary quest line and the hypocrisy of challenge mode gear.

Legendary Questline: Fun the first time, well, not fun, interesting. Horrendous every time after that.

Hypocrisy of CM gear: Blizzard tells the fans, "no, you cannot transmog to shadowmourne, because it would become stale seeing everyone in it" then using the exact same logic, gives us challenge mode gear. Something i've tweeted them numerous times, but to no response

Vanilla: Leveling took FOREVER.

TBC: The lore

Wrath: Everything... but especially the leveling

Cata: Vash'jir.

MOP: The leveling takes FOREVER (again).
    Retired WOW player
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy 14

TBC ~ Having to backtrack to attune players
    Wrath ~ ToC making Ulduar Obsolete after ONLY 4 months / no Azjol Raid Vs ToC
    Cata ~ Dragon soul was too short with a one of the easiest end boss let alone end expansion bosses in the entire game. Didn't even get a cinematic for patch
    MoP ~ 5 Mans gutted and snore fests, CMS Emphasis on time rather than a ball busting experience.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sddaros View Post
    Come on guys, don't be ashamed to say

Vanilla: Game was still pretty new, no one really knew what they were doing, and that was accepted
    TBC: Male Draenei
    WOTLK: Isle of Conquest
    Cata: Hard to pick one, probably questing zones.
    MoP: Pandas
    Vanilla: MANY MANY broken classes/specs (each class generally only had one "viable" spec - all warriors had to tank, shamans and paladins were broken buff bots, all druids and priests had to heal, fire mages were useless due to immune mechanics, etc)
    BC: Questing...it wasn't quite as bad as vanilla questing, but vanilla's broken classes/specs were worse than its questing
    WOTLK: TOC...very uninspired raid. (Barely) saved by having 2 very fun bosses at the end (Twin Valkyrs and Anub), rest of the raid sucked
    Cata: Uldum. That's all I need to say there, WORST zone Blizzard has ever done by a very comfortable margin
    MOP: Over-reliance on dailies and LFR

Vanilla: Complete mess. Sure, it had a few great moments, but overall it was a heap.
    TBC - Attunements
    WotLK - Classism against DKs.
    Cata - New zones were disconnected from each other; didn't feel like we were traveling to old or new places.
    MoP - The Spodedamn legendary quest.

10+ Year Old Account
    The content drought from the last 3 and TBC's utter terrible portrayal of Illidan.

I keep it simple.

Pre-BC: The fact that WoW decided to be a subscription MMO, and made you feel obligated to log into the game or waste your money for that month.
    TBC: The fact that in improved nothing from the pre-BC experience. It was still grind grind grind. Arenas and resilience, they destroyed PVP for years to come.
    WOTLK: Horrible handling of Lich King's defeat. Should never have happened. The way it happened was embarrassing.
    Cata: Too much rehashing
    MoP: The part where Blizzard decided that this would be a worthy addition to the Warcraft universe.

Vanilla: The gameplay and class balance.
    TBC: The halfassed re-write of Illidan into an evil character without finishing the job at the end of Black Temple. (He was just normal Illidan when you meet him.)
    Wrath: "There must always be a Lich King." Good job retconning at least one quest out of every hub that involved the Scourge since Vanilla.
    Cata: Dragon Soul being half-assed. Could have been amazing.
    Mists: Timeless Isle. This could have been an amazing time in the game's history but it turned out to be the lowest of all time. Instead of getting it great, they got "good enough" and walked away without tuning it appropriately for more than 10 people fighting anything at a time leading to a pointlessly horrific mindscarring torture chamber of a gearing method.
    Blizzard has forgone the route of taking risks with their stories and has decided that
    pandering to the rebellious pre-teen mindset is a safer bet. Thanks Metzen.

10+ Year Old Account
    TBC: Voice Chat.

What even was it. Did anyone even use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazia View Post
    Your mom is so fat shes the reason blizzard made a limit on mage food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    If words bother you that much perhaps you should try being amish so you can avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by Neganova View Post
    TBC: Voice Chat.

What even was it. Did anyone even use it.
    Most people don't even know the game even has it. The worst part for me is waiting 10months-Year with 0 content inbetween expansions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We have had multiple threads of white people complaining that black people were offended over some racist thing some white person said.
    Here we have a thread of white people offended over something some racist black person said.
    The key difference is that the white people in this thread aren't being told "shut up stop being offended get over it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla: Levelling far too slow and unforgiving.
    TBC: Guild poaching.
    WOTLK: Shortness of Ulduar tier.
    Cata: Firelands.
    MoP: Adding Flex without an LF tool.
    WoD: Breaking apart the axiom that if you raid, you get raiding loot (tier).
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

10+ Year Old Account
    wont comment on vanilla since you asked about expansions. Vanilla is NOT an expansion.
    BC ~ hated the zones visually, they were like literally crossing glaring lines. its unnatural. a gradual blending would have been much more believable.
    Wrath ~ Thinking that players would love an arena style raid fight. ToC in general was awful but the Champions fight was the worst to me. very primitive compared to what could be today.
    Cata ~ so much to list. cant just pick one. the downfall of Alts, DS, general unfinished feeling of literally EVERYTHING in the game. everything felt like they started to work on it, but then just.. stopped.
    MoP ~ continuing downfall of Alts. not realizing/understanding how i like to play alts and why.

just as a specific rebuttal to the OP: no, pandaren were not the worst of MoP. i have loved that race completely. best race visually and thematically added to the game pre~wod. after seeing the updated models its actually harder to choose a race, but pandaren were just... needed. For the Horde.
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2014-08-09 at 11:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla: Classes (such as Paladins) needed reworking, but otherwise not much. PvP was awesome because everyone had shit gear and no Resilience.
    BC: Nothing. I enjoyed every bit of it. I grinded Sketiss dailies and old world instances to get my epic flying. <3
    Wrath: Not much. Pugging raids beyond the first tier was actually possible more so, so it was loads of fun.
    Cata: I had a blast here too, finally getting all 10 classes to 85 on Ally side.
    MoP: Now leveling my Hordies to 90, along with Battle Pets so I can try my hand at the Celestial Tournament.

Honestly, I haven't really seen a downside to any of them beyond perhaps the wait for the next installment.

Vanilla: Class balance
    TBC: Attunements and questing (DAMN YOU BUZZARDS I CAN SEE YOUR BEAKS)
    Wrath: No Azjol Nerub raid or zone
    Cata: Worst ending ever
    MoP: Shaohao grind, Golden Lotus dailies

Deleted
    Vanilla : class balance/mechanics

TBC : probably how badly they fucked up Illidans lore, big cool trailer about it, one of the most memorable trailers in WoW, and then he doesn't appear in the expansion until you kill him. or maybe introduction of arenas, i am conflicted on this

WoTLK : the content draughts, half assed ToC to fill in a gap, and then ruby sanctum to fill the next gap, just seemed like they were an after thought.

Cata : the war of the ancients dungeon. most dissapointing final raid in the history of WoW, dragon soul, what a let down. the defeat of the mighty deathwing in perhaps the most boring way possible.

MoP : the dailies and rep grinds, oh my! also making justice totally useless and valour pretty useless. i liked the cata model of buying previous tier with justice and current with valour, gave me a reason to farm hcs.

Wrath: Borean Tundra. (I forget when exactly in wrath I started playing but I never noticed the content drought as it was all new, but Borean Tundra was bad IMO)

Cata: Deathwing being incredibly unimpressive.

MoP: Garrosh's story felt far too forced into Pandaria.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

Vanilla: Lack of spec viability for most specs, the haphazard questing zones.

BC: Smaller dungeons, guilds still believed in former spec viability from Vanilla instead of the changes that occurred.

WotLK: GOGOGOGOGOOGOGOGOGOOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGGOGOGOOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOG OGO. Complete destruction of thought in dungeons. Arthas was never interesting to me, but all other aspects of lore for it were fine.

Cata: Deathwing death animation = pixie dust. He was really from Neverneverland. Dungeon difficulty fine, they just didn't tune the flow of it properly.

MoP: Dungeons back to easy mode like in Wrath. Timeless isle gets about one healthy run through on a character before you want to bash your head against the wall with the only quest being, kill mobs get coins, hope for item drop. They should have saved Garrosh for the main villain of the next expansion.

Vanilla: Class design, grind

TBC: Ugly armor, nothing to do at endgame if you're not interested in raiding.

WOTLK: Argent Tournament

Cata: Everything

Pandaland: Pandas

Warlords: The whole crack-smoking premise.