Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Post WoW mispronunciations and translations!

Which mispronunciations bug you the most? Conversely, which troublesome words or names do you wish you knew the correct pronunciation of?

"reagents" is probably my biggest peeve, especially since it is an actual word used in chemistry. Many pronounce it like "regent", with two syllables, which makes sense in a way, considering how silly English can be, but the "re-" is a prefix to the root word "agent", and it is pronounced as such: "re-agent", with three syllables. It's more or less shorthand for "reactive agent".

Also for me, especially recently, is Draenor and Auchindoun. Draenor should be pronounced like the "e" isn't there, with the nasally "a" as in "cat" in the American accent. Dra-nor, not dray-nor. Auchindoun is a tricky one. I didn't know how to pronounce it until last Blizzcon. I had figured out that the "ch" is a hard "k" sound, but I thought it was "aw-KIN-dun" until I learned it was "AW-kin-doon". I still have the same problem with Nagrand. It's "NAG-rand", right?

Let's use this topic to teach each other, or at least come to a consensus, on how certain weird words are pronounced. Even better if we can have this conversation beyond English! I know many of the translations of proper names can be quite awful and awkward sounding when lazily transliterated, for example, Garrosh basically being named Garrosh Scream-of-hell in Spanish and Portuguese. Compound words don't often work very well in non-Germanic languages, so let's help our non-native-English speaking fellows in coming up with something that is more aesthetically pleasing than LOL I AM GARROSH SCREAM OF HELL LOLOL YOU MUST SERVE THE BIG GROUP OR BE SAD!

EDIT: Thanks for changing the title, mysterious mod! I promise not to be ban-worthy this week >.>
    Last edited by tss; 2014-08-10 at 01:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You are a carbon copy of what you long so hard to fight in the streets. An extremist. Someone so desperate for strife to prove you are the ubermensch, err, Real American.

Alt lite. Sounds like you're having an alt fright. Unable to sleep at alt night. Maybe you should relax and fly an alt kite. Go down to the diner for an alt bite. You shouldn't be treating people with alt spite. Eventually, everything will be alt right.

"Thrash run" used to drive me nuts back in Cata.

Ally-razor as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    ''Sylvanus'' instead of Sylvanas.

Yes, I see it alot.

Auchindoun pronounced aw-chin-dun. No no.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

why-sarj, instead of the very confusing yaw-sha-raaj pronunciation. In fairness you wouldn't know how to pronounce it if you didn't listen to wrathion during the legendary quest, but it still bothers me >.>

"Karasang Wilds" no you stupid fuck it's KRAS-A-RANG

"Ogrimmar" NO
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    "Thrash run" used to drive me nuts back in Cata.

Ally-razor as well.
    Who does the first one refer to?

Indeed, how the hell does one pronounce Alysrazor? Like "Alice-razor", or "a-LISS-ra-zor?" I tend to the latter since her original name was Alysra and I read that as "a-LISS-ra". That's one on my list for sure.
    Last edited by tss; 2014-08-10 at 01:24 AM.
    You are a carbon copy of what you long so hard to fight in the streets. An extremist. Someone so desperate for strife to prove you are the ubermensch, err, Real American.

Alt lite. Sounds like you're having an alt fright. Unable to sleep at alt night. Maybe you should relax and fly an alt kite. Go down to the diner for an alt bite. You shouldn't be treating people with alt spite. Eventually, everything will be alt right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, the ones that bothers me is more people shortening words

"Meet me at DM?" - Wait... so.. Dire Maul.. or... Deadmines?

As well, shortening of words that shouldn't be as annoying too or cross over of other. DPS -> Damage -> DD (Damage dealer), one of the cross overs.

Else, Vashj'ir? Some still call it Vash'jir
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    why-sarj, instead of the very confusing yaw-sha-raaj pronunciation. In fairness you wouldn't know how to pronounce it if you didn't listen to wrathion during the legendary quest, but it still bothers me >.>
    That always bugged me, the extra syllable. It was right except for that. It should have been pronounced as "yuh-SHARJ" instead of "YA-shu-RAJ", but someone crossed their eyes and saw Y'Sharaj instead of Y'Shaarj. Who knows, maybe it's a typo that rolled its way down the hill...
    Last edited by tss; 2014-08-10 at 01:22 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jsz View Post
    "Karasang Wilds" no you stupid fuck it's KRAS-A-RANG

"Ogrimmar" NO
    i actually didn't notice it was KRAS and KASS until like patch 5.4.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Hmm, the ones that bothers me is more people shortening words

"Meet me at DM?" - Wait... so.. Dire Maul.. or... Deadmines?

As well, shortening of words that shouldn't be as annoying too or cross over of other. DPS -> Damage -> DD (Damage dealer), one of the cross overs.

Else, Vashj'ir? Some still call it Vash'jir
    That's pretty rare, though. As far as I understand, VC was usually used to distinguish from Dire Maul, but either way, wouldn't the level of the person asking cue one in to their intent? And the VJ thing, that's just crappy punctuation. It should be pronounced the same either way, "vash-ZHEER".

10+ Year Old Account
    As an RP'er, I have to admit... one thing mate me twitch...

"For Kas Modan!"

you... mean... "For Khaz Modan!" right?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Herradura View Post
    Which mispronunciations bug you the most? Conversely, which troublesome words or names do you wish you knew the correct pronunciation of?

"reagents" is probably my biggest peeve, especially since it is an actual word used in chemistry. Many pronounce it like "regent", with two syllables, which makes sense in a way, considering how silly English can be, but the "re-" is a prefix to the root word "agent", and it is pronounced as such: "re-agent", with three syllables. It's more or less shorthand for "reactive agent".

i got this one wrong for years, but i think its quite understandable, its a word most people would never ever use. i had never heard of it until WoW, so i just pronounced how it is spelled :>

Who does the first one refer to?

Indeed, how the hell does one pronounce Alysrazor? Like "Alice-razor", or "a-LIS-ra-zor?" I tend to the latter since her original name was Alysra and I read that as "a-LIS-ra". That's one on my list for sure.
    Ysera pronounces her name as Alissrah during Hyjal questing, I think Staghelm does as well during Firelands.

Deleted
    back in wotlk there was a guy in my guild who pronounced it "lish king"

I used to arena with a guy who pronounced (Dahl-ah-rahn) Dalaran as "Da-lay-ron"
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubathingy View Post
    But anyway it's OK to be jelly of the tallest midget.

7+ Year Old Account
    That always bugged me, the extra syllable. It was right except for that. It should have been pronounced as "yuh-SHARJ" instead of "YA-shu-RAJ", but someone crossed their eyes and saw Y'Sharaj instead of Y'Shaarj. Who knows, maybe it's a typo that rolled its way down the hill...
    To be fair, Lovecraft-ish names like that are often spelled very weird and are either often quite unpronounceable, or don't sound anything like how they're spelled. Don't really blame Blizzard there, since the Old Gods are just an homage to Lovecraft anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i got this one wrong for years, but i think its quite understandable, its a word most people would never ever use. i had never heard of it until WoW, so i just pronounced how it is spelled :>
    It does make a lot more sense now that a "reagent" is basically a reactive ingredient now though, right?

I just don't want the screaming gnome to scream at me. You folk are scary.

It was very recent that I heard it but a twitch streamer kept pronouncing Grim Batol as Grim Battle. It was driving me nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    I think many people use the word "scale" the same way the smurfs use "smurf".

Quote Originally Posted by shamantime View Post
    I used to arena with a guy who pronounced (Dahl-ah-rahn) Dalaran as "Da-lay-ron"
    Oh god. My friends and I pronounced it as "DAL-uh-RAN", as American as a soft "a" can get. If you've ever seen a Zatarain's ad, pretty much like that. I still have a hard time calling it "DAHL-uh-RAHN", but I compensate with "DAL-uh-RAHN", and so do the devs, but half of them say fuckin' DRAY-nor too. It's the kind of name that works better in text.

EDIT: http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7LMG/zatarain...yle-rice-piano

I seriously cannot think of Dalaran without singing that little jingle at the end. DAAAAL A RAAAAANS!
    Last edited by tss; 2014-08-10 at 01:35 AM.