Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Even though the English language has many differing pronunciations, seeing as WoW is made by an American company, I will use and enforce the American version of any mob, zone or otherwise. If it is said during spoken dialog, I will treat that as the 'proper' version.

PS: I'm Australian

Deleted
    Playing on EU realms, 99% of German players complaning about a dire looking bg write "oh god, it's another LOOSE" and they wont beleive me when I tell them the opposite of a win is a loss....it is so freaking annoying that this mistake is so cemented in the average German brain.

also:

guildies on ts talk about "GORGON dark shaman loot"
    i respond "one more time and you wont get any loot ever again from the KOR'KRON!"

and one more funny mispronounciation was back in the days of BoT. A guild mate always forgot chogalls name and when he once tried to remember it, he said "chantall" (a french girl's name I guess). That was the boss' name for us since then.

10+ Year Old Account
    People who pronounce tome as tomb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

In Wrath several of my friends called Howling Fjord "Howling Forge," it drove me crazy every time they said it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Herradura View Post
    It does make a lot more sense now that a "reagent" is basically a reactive ingredient now though, right?

I just don't want the screaming gnome to scream at me. You folk are scary.

yeah it makes sense, just when you have never heard a word said aloud, you just pronounce it how its spelled :P

my friend corrected me back in wotlk or something.

Not a mispronunciation but I hate when people mess up rogue and rouge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    I think many people use the word "scale" the same way the smurfs use "smurf".

Deleted
    one i use to get moaned at a lot for was pronouncing Shaman as "Shayman" instead of "Sharman"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    one i use to get moaned at a lot for was pronouncing Shaman as "Shayman" instead of "Sharman"
    What? Why are you adding an R when saying it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    What? Why are you adding an R when saying it?

im not, but some people do. guild i was in back in tbc all pronounced it like that.

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/p...british/shaman

see here, thats the 2 different pronunciations. don't think either are wrong, but i've had multiple people tell me i am doing it wrong :P and i have heard people who say it with the R get moaned at for it.

Haha yeah there's no 'r.' It's Sha-min and Sha is pronounced like Sha of Pride.

Another big one is Xuen. It's not Zoo-in, it's Shwen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by marcackermann86 View Post
    Haha yeah there's no 'r.' It's Sha-min and Sha is pronounced like Sha of Pride.

Another big one is Xuen. It's not Zoo-in, it's Shwen.

heh, i've been pronouncing it Zwen with a really really short ah after the Z.

heh, i've been pronouncing it Zwen with a really really short ah after the Z.
    That's close and would be correct if it was an English word. In Chinese, "Xu" is pronounced "shoo" so it's technically "shoo-en" but it's pronounced as one syllable which makes it pronounced "shwen."
    Last edited by Lessthanzer0; 2014-08-10 at 02:03 AM.

Melee. I cringe every time I hear someone pronounce it "Me-lee". Our main tank says it "Me-lee". It's said "May-Lay". Uggh..

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Had a friend call the Lich King "Lynch King." and turret(like Elemental Shaman PvP back then) as "turrent."

I always was like "WTF, where do you get the N in Lich and turret?" "Idunnolol."
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

people who say hearthstone as "herthstone".
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's more the shorthand that gets me than the mispronunciations, although some of those are bad as well. I have this one guildies that mangles everything in speech and in text. Very annoying.

For years and years when people referred to a patrol as "pat" it would irk me. If they were typing it I could understand, but when actually speaking there is no reason for the shorthand. Same thing over in Diablo 3, people refer to legendary items as "legs" and it drives me up a fucking wall. "I got 4 legs in that run." FFFDP)OI(UH0ed89hfg90dwhbdfodsb!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolow View Post
    Melee. I cringe every time I hear someone pronounce it "Me-lee". Our main tank says it "Me-lee". It's said "May-Lay". Uggh..
    That has driven me fucking bonkers for years. I hear 40k players say it all the time, and no shit, I will fly across a game store just to fucking correct someone. I have also heard the bastard co.go of the two - me-lay. Or sometimes meh-LAY.

I had someone in a BC guild pronounce it as illidain, like rain instead of ran. I wanted to reach through team speak and choke him.

Shayman is another that annoys me.

Enchancement. What the hell is that? It's enhancement.

Not really mispronounced, but inscriptor. It's SCRIBE.

Deeps. Pronounced as it is spelled. Not DPS, deeps. And they type it like that, too. Is that supposed to be cool?
    Last edited by endersblade; 2014-08-10 at 02:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Not really a mispronouncing issue, but I always have to take a second to distinguish Cho'gall from BoT and Cho'gath from League of Legends.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    That has driven me fucking bonkers for years. I hear 40k players say it all the time, and no shit, I will fly across a game store just to fucking correct someone. I have also heard the bastard co.go of the two - me-lay. Or sometimes meh-LAY.

I had someone in a BC guild pronounce it as illidain, like rain instead of ran. I wanted to reach through team speak and choke him.

Shayman is another that annoys me.

Enchancement. What the hell is that? It's enhancement.

Not really mispronounced, but inscriptor. It's SCRIBE.

Deeps. Pronounced as it is spelled. Not DPS, deeps. And they type it like that, too. Is that supposed to be cool?
    I do the deeps thing, I admit, and it's only with friends and only to be an idiot.

And the scribe thing, oh my the scribe thing really grinds my gears. Inscriptionist, Inscriptor, I've even seen inscriptionator and inscriptionista. I've seen SCRIBES refer to themselves as such, even though it says freakin' scribe right in the description of the damned profession in the profession tab.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest