Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Quite the contrary, it shows more competition so it's harder for any one game to claim a large portion of the potential playerbase to itself.
    Nope, no mmo game is actually gaining new players, even new game releases cannot account for all the people lost.
    People are literally leaving the genre en mass.
    Chronomancer Club

Deleted
    Everybody who doesn't wish other MMOs to live and do great is fucking retarded, period.

If you don't understand that competition breeds innovation then the genre deserves to die off. Monopoly isn't and never will be a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    But the total sub loss in MOP was higher than cata by 1 million.
    The downward sub trend is increasing, WoD may end with 4 million subs lost, and wow could end up with 2.5 million subs by the end of WoD. That is nearing the peak subs of other mmo games.

Yes the game is dying, but its not just 1 day at a time, the game may only have 2 expansions left at most.
    Or you could stop pulling epic numbers out of that thing you keep slapping.

FFXIV is doing better than WildStar and it's already failed once (v1.0). I think they're up to 3 million subs and they haven't even started in China yet (which is where WoW gets a LOT of "subs" from)?

As far as I know it's the only real "threat" to WoW, and it's not even talked about much (because it's been out for a while and was never a lot of hype around it).

Deleted
    It's doing ok, could've been better, could've been worse, but it's not dying. And neither is WoW for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    It's unlikely to just shut down any time soon, but eventually WoW will reach a point where it becomes unprofitable for Blizzard to continue producing new content for it. This is true of almost every game - eventually, people will grow tired of it and move on to other things.

WoW's regular player base may be steadily shrinking and fewer new players are going to be interested (WoW is almost 10 years old - kids are all about the Minecrafts these days). Still, it's likely to last for a few years yet.
    i honestly think that the moment WoW becomes un profitable as a sub they will flip the F2P switch and i bet they've had a contingency plan for it for at least 2 years. You dont just leave your cash cow to go lame without a backup plan.

Quote Originally Posted by sthings View Post
    Everybody who doesn't wish other MMOs to live and do great is fucking retarded, period.

If you don't understand that competition breeds innovation then the genre deserves to die off. Monopoly isn't and never will be a good thing
    I wish they do. I sincerily hope they do, but after playing them, and I did fucking play all of them, they all have some fucking problem or issue or bad design choice(s) that makes them terrible, and I come back to wow because I have no choice, wow is still doing it (mostly) right.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard Champion View Post
    Or you could stop pulling epic numbers out of that thing you keep slapping.
    Cata: 2 million subs lost
    MoP: 3 and a half million subs lost, and we still have several more months of 0 new content to help mitigate sub loss.

Now if we actually look at the trend, we see that sub loss is actually accelerating. WoD will lose at the bare minimum, 3.5 million subs, when in reality it should be more than 4 million.

You can look at the trend yourself, claiming any other number less than 3.5-4 million subs lost actually shows that you are not basing your statement on the actual facts. Get your head out of your ass.
    Chronomancer Club

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Hell..what is the " natural life expectancy"? Where is any other MMO that launced with their creators hoping for 800 000 subs, climbed to 7 million before the first x-pac, peaked at 12 million in the 3rd x-pac and still sits at 7 million shortly before the 6th x-pac is launched on the 10th anniversary?

Freaking Star wars and Lord of the Rings with a HUGE...I mean HUGE potential player base couldn't pull that off...and if you cannot d that with BILLIONS in revenue from the films....then you are a lost cause.
    Swtor still makes 150 million dollars annually, they still have a big playerbase, unless you think there are only 50 players who pay millions of dollars each a piece.
    I wish I could fail so hard, that I can only make 150 million bucks a year.
    Chronomancer Club

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zharradan View Post
    bought it digital deluxe, played it for abouth 2 months... takes to long to leveling, attunements are too hard to do with pugs, and i don't have friends that play it/nor was in a good active pve server, also, if you don't live in the us, you're going to suck because latency is a thing in this game
    Not to mention, professions are a complete pain in the ass to do. I don't even think WoW in it's older days was this hard to level low professions.

10+ Year Old Account
    No game is being played forever.
    Depends by the content which the game offers. If a game offers enough content and if the graphics get constantly updated it may resist for generations.
    My youtube Channel : Arberian021
    WoW isn't all about new concepts or themes, it's about classic archetypes that fit the Holy Trinity gameplay style of Warcraft.
    Demon Hunter Class Idea
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Exercise releases endorphins that make you feel good, iirc, don't quote me on it

Cata: 2 million subs lost
    MoP: 3 and a half million subs lost

Now if we actually look at the trend, we see that sub loss is actually accelerating. WoD will lose at the bare minimum, 3.5 million subs, when in reality it should be more than 4 million.

You can look at the trend yourself, claiming any other number less than 3.5-4 million subs lost actually shows that you are not basing your statement on the actual facts.
    Or it could be that the people disgruntled with WoW's direction have already quit and the ones that stayed for so long are the ones who intend to keep with it as they like the direction wow is heading.

Also, a lot, and I mean A LOT, of people have suspended their subs early this year because the content drought was getting to them, and do intend on resubbing when the expansion is out. Myself included, I too am part of that 800k lost but I also intend to come back.

Also, there is no other MMO on the current market that I would intend to play if I didn't play WoW, not even in the slightest. So at least until a new MMO is out I will stick to wow.
    Last edited by Keyboard Champion; 2014-08-10 at 08:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW will only truly die if something better comes along, not Wildstar (lmao), and if that happens most people will be playing that new MMO and the care for WoW's dying will be very low.
    I honestly don't think even a better game will completely turn over the most of the loyal player base.
    A lot of these players have been playing for 6 to even 10 years. Having put an upwards of 5000+ hours into this game, that's hardly something you can easily walk away from. I know a lot of people are going to be like, "WELLZ I LEFTZ AND I LOVEDZ WOWIEZ." Yeah, hence most.

Har dee har....Innovation good and well, seems new MMOs try to steal the thunder from WoW by just listeneing a tad too much how the greatest time was pre LFR, pre LFD and pre...everything. And on top of that get a load of "We want old WoW servers"
    That argument is moot because with the introduction of things such as LFR, there was only a decline of subs.

Im not saying LFR caused sub loss, but saying that no LFR in other games caused their sub loss make you look like an idiot. There is absolutely no evidence saying that LFR would have increased subs in any mmo, because its iteration in WoW was met with millions of subs loss.

- - - Updated - - -

Or it could be that the people disgruntled with WoW's direction have already quit and the ones that stayed for so long are the ones who intend to keep with it as they like the direction wow is heading.

Also, a lot, and I mean A LOT of people have suspended their subs early this year because the content drought was getting to them, and do intend on resubbing when the expansion is out. Myself included, I too am part of that 800k lost but I also intend to come back.

Also, there is no other MMO on the current market that I would intend to play if I didn't play WoW, not even in the slightest. So at least until a new MMO is out I will stick to wow.
    You have what many people call "magic thinking." You think that your experience is a perfect representative sample of the entire population. There is no evidence suggesting that any of your anecdotal evidence is valid. In fact, I could use my own anecdotal evidence of saying that I have 300 guild members that quit, and preordered and do not intend to come back for WoD, and you cannot fact check me because this is the internet.

Look at the actual facts, and once again, get your head out of your ass.
    Chronomancer Club

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Novx View Post
    See: kickbuttmario
    Herro!

Also yes, it has probably damaged WoW's sub numbers in this quarter but whatever. The game has tons of pros between 1-49 but its endgame raiding scene is a fucking mess. A couple people from DnT and Engima (top guilds in WS) have already stated the stupidity of the 40 man and how obvious it is they are gating content. They took vanilla and tbc elements and made them more fucking stupid. Stupid attunements (a lot ridiculous compared to tbc), dumb rune system, and a raiding scene that is already burning people out (much much harder and stressful than vanilla and most current content of wow). There just isn't enough casual content or "chill" content the player can just invest in and have fun with, besides Housing.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes the game is dying, but its not just 1 day at a time, the game may only have 2 expansions left at most.
    https://www.everquest.com/

That argument is moot because with the introduction of things such as LFR, there was only a decline of subs.

Im not saying LFR caused sub loss, but saying that no LFR in other games caused their sub loss make you look like an idiot. There is absolutely no evidence saying that LFR would have increased subs in any mmo, because its iteration in WoW was met with millions of subs loss.

- - - Updated - - -

You have what many people call "magic thinking." You think that your experience is a perfect representative sample of the entire population. There is no evidence suggesting that any of your anecdotal evidence is valid.

Look at the actual facts, and once again, get your head out of your ass.
    Your projected loss of 4 million subs by the end of WoD, is phantasmagoric at best, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Hell no, WoW is dying because of age, no new MMO's can change that. The genre itself is beginning to loose sustainability, most people stay away due to sub fee's (Casual tom who's used to pirating everything) and people constantly being let down by new releases, such as wildstar, guild wars ect...

Your projected loss of 4 million subs by the end of WoD, is phantasmagoric at best, though.
    Why? There is an increase of 1 million subs lost per expansion now. I am simply extrapolating the 4 year trend, you are not following the trend, but rather saying that you can predict the future without any evidence.
    You are literally pulling facts out of your ass with your wishful thinking. Saying that the sub loss will be any less than MOP's is going against every piece of evidence for subs so far, its "magic thinking"

Why do you feel that WoD sub loss will differ from MOP sub loss?
    Chronomancer Club

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayhos View Post
    Pretty sure this going to be locked up.

I've said this for years. World of Warcraft will kill itself, others will not kill it.
    I have yet to see a game die out next to Age of Conan maybe, and even that one took ages. As long a game is making profit it isn't going anywhere.