Page 1 of 17
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you have any objection to eating lamb/veal?

First off, I don't eat meat regardless, I don't really care if people eat meat though, to each their own. However, of all the different types of meats available for consumption, lamb and veal are what I feel uncomfortable with. Eating the meat of a baby animal not yet weened of their mother's milk strikes me as insensitive, regardless of how tasty it is. Prior to a vegetarian lifestyle, I still refused to eat it. Particularly in the U.S., lamb and veal is the topic of some morale issues within the food industry (Lets ignore that Americans refer to the meat of all ages of sheep as "lamb" we don't use the term mutton). Culturally, it doesn't have a huge impact on American diets and from personal experience, its pretty hard to find outside of an ethnic foods restaurant.

Yeah, it may be tasty, but when does self-guilt and morality play into the fact that you're consuming something that barely had a chance at life?
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2014-08-11 at 02:03 AM.

I have no problems with it veal other than it is expensive.
    Never cared for the taste of lamb

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    First off, I don't eat meat regardless, I don't really care if people eat meat though, to each their own. However, of all the different types of meats available for consumption, lamb and veal are what I feel uncomfortable with. Anyone who eats the meat of a baby animal not yet weened of their mother's milk strikes me as insensitive, regardless of how tasty it is. Prior to a vegetarian lifestyle, I still refused to eat it. Particularly in the U.S., lamb and veal is the topic of some morale issues within the food industry (Lets ignore that Americans refer to the meat of all ages of sheep as "lamb" we don't use the term mutton). Culturally, it doesn't have a huge impact on American diets and from personal experience, its pretty hard to find outside of an ethnic foods restaurant.

Yeah, it may be tasty, but when does self-guilt and morality play into the fact that you're consuming something that barely had a chance at life?
    I dont see the problem, it was going to be killed off for food eventually. So the age is of no importance anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's not human, I'll eat it.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    If it's not human, I'll eat it.
    Less a matter of species and more a matter of age. You'd eat a chick? a kitten? a piglet?

I eat chicken, beef, and lamb. I don't eat any other kinds of meat. (Unless you count canned tuna, lobster, and shrimp.)

The lamb I've eaten was either on a cruise, or when my grandma makes curry lamb.

Haven't thought about it. But the animals are bred for eating sooo......

Under current United States federal regulations, only the term 'lamb' is used:

Lamb — ovine animals of any age, including ewes and ram
    Other than that
    In New Zealand, they are defined as follows:

Lamb — a young sheep under 12 months of age which does not have any permanent incisor teeth in wear.
    So, I have no real issues with lamb, other than it being meat, ofc. Afaik, housing is more humane than veal. I dont think there is much of a difference between killing a baby and killing an adult. Its a matter of non-humane practices before slaughter that irks me.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I eat eggs. Does that make me a monster?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I eat eggs. Does that make me a monster?

are they fertilised eggs?

Deleted
    Lamb tastes shit anyway. Fish's where it's at.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but this is due to the way the animal is treated in order to make the meat come out so tender. Lamb depends on if it is treated in the same way veal is, or if it is just killed at a young age. The age of the animal doesn't concern me, but the treatment does. Hence why I try my darndest to buy local, farm-raised meat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    If they are organic they might be.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    on this topic; any reason we eat lamb, but not adult sheep meat?

as for the question i love lamb and veal, i feel a little bad as i do have a soft spot for lambs, but i eat it nonetheless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Other than that

So, I have no real issues with lamb, other than it being meat, ofc. Afaik, housing is more humane than veal. I dont think there is much of a difference between killing a baby and killing an adult. Its a matter of non-humane practices before slaughter that irks me.
    Right, I stated that in the OP, 'lamb' in the U.S. refers to all ages of sheep, not just the babies. We don't use the word mutton.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    People eat Ballute and... Well that's yeah.

I suppose I wouldn't have an issue with the mentioned meats.

Deleted
    I don't really care...I don't see the difference between eating the meat of a young or old animal. All I care about is that they kill them in a humane (painless) manner. I wish more people would care for that rather then the act of killing the animals itself.

Deleted
    I really can't see any difference between any animal when it comes to eating them. Apart of some animal being rare naturally. If the animal i'm about to eat tastes good, is killed with out stress or pain and isn't about to be extinct, bring it on my plate i say.

Animals age doesn't mean anything to me in this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    but when does self-guilt and morality play into the fact that you're consuming something that barely had a chance at life?
    What do you mean by a 'chance at life'? It's not like adult cattle get to fight their farmers for a chance at... not dying?.
    Gilt doesn't really ever kick in for me. I honestly can't see how age, of all things, can be constructed into a moral issue. Living conditions of livestock, on the other hand... As long as they are treated with respect, and we strive for the least pain we can reasonably offer, I'm good.

Deleted
    Lamb, Lamb you most Succulent meat! Drenched in mint sauce your a delicious treat!

I LOVE roast lamb, with all the trimmings and mint sauce!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    What do you mean by a 'chance at life'? It's not like adult cattle get to fight their farmers for a chance at... not dying?.
    Gilt doesn't really ever kick in for me. I honestly can't see how age, of all things, can be constructed into a moral issue. Living conditions of livestock, on the other hand... As long as they are treated with respect, and we strive for the least pain we can reasonably offer, I'm good.
    Chance at life, as in, they live long enough to reach sexual maturity. Living conditions of livestock is a whole other hell to discuss, and I agree that they're becoming disturbingly bad as of late.

I don't like the taste of lamb. During Easter the tradition in my country is to serve lamb...lots of lamb...lamb hors d'oeuvres, lamb soup, lamb stew, the only thing I have yet to see is lamb icecream. I fucking hate the taste.