Quesition for Germans on the Board

In this famous scene from "Inglorious Basterds," the German soldiers notice that Michael Fassbender's character has an add accent that doesn't sound German:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdsgqQg0InI

My German is not fluent, but it sounds like he's speaking good German to me. Does his accent actually sound odd to a native German speaker?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not German myself, but I know one of his parents is a German.

So he can speak German, but he isn't using it very often. In an interview he said he had to sort of brush it up, you know.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowset View Post
    In this famous scene from "Inglorious Basterds," the German soldiers notice that Michael Fassbender's character has an add accent that doesn't sound German:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdsgqQg0InI

My German is not fluent, but it sounds like he's speaking good German to me. Does his accent actually sound odd to a native German speaker?
    Haha Germany wont let me watch it... Gg germany gg

Deleted
    his accent isnt the thing that revealed him (his german is probably one of the best ive heard in american movies), its the habbit of not using his thumb while showing the number of glasses (three).
    Last edited by mmoc7a210b114d; 2014-08-11 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Armail View Post
    his accent isnt the thing that revealed him, its the habbit of not using his thumb to show the waiter the number of glasses (three).
    True, that finger thing is the "drop that spills the glass", but the other guy does mention something about his dialect if I remember correctly.

Fassbender then says that in his town everyone speaks like that, or something.

I haven't watched the film in a while, and I'm not a native German, but IIRC his german does sound a little peculiar, but not foreign or something. Could pass for a German IMO.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by evridej View Post
    Haha Germany wont let me watch it... Gg germany gg
    well Czech Rep. GG too.. I guess whole Europe cant watch it.

I'd be as suspicious as the German Commander, it doesn't sound quite like a German accent. German is good though, but it just sounds a bit "off".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by uNcl View Post
    well Czech Rep. GG too.. I guess whole Europe cant watch it.
    Firefox addon: "Youtube Unblocker".

Even though I cannot watch the szene and don't recall it right now, his german while he's Magneto in First Class was almost flawless, only a hint of an accent. If you are a native german speaker, it is detectable, but very faint. It's actually better then many germans german is. Clean pronounciation. The flow of the vocals reveals it, for example, when he say "Was hat sie nach Argentinien verschlagen?" (what brought you to argentina), the way he pronounces the e in "ver-" reveals an english tongue.

And the so called Villa Gesell in Argentina is in Austria, by the looks of the mountains and flora.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Better than most germans speak actually (which can also be a giveaway^^)
    yeah, thats what i thought too.

Deleted
    Ok, I proxied the youtube link (as it is blocked in germany, yay, silly gema ^^).

His german is ok, and he explains in his village all people talk this way. Looking up where Piz Palü is located, it is not in germany but in switzerland. And for sure, the german speaking swiss sound a bit off sometimes (different pronunciations), even for germans. It sounds ok, I have heard more weird dialects from within germany (i.e. bavaria ^^), up to the point wher I could not understand a single word =D

And yes, native german here.

His accent is so clean, I'd have put him from the north of Germany. Hannover, Hamburg - that kind of area. I'm not buying "swiss-german" at all.

It doesn't need to be quite as extreme as that, but Swiss-German has this song-like intonation that he definitely doesn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by Armail View Post
    his accent isnt the thing that revealed him (his german is probably one of the best ive heard in american movies), its the habbit of not using his thumb while showing the number of glasses (three).
    That was what sealed his fate, but earlier suspicion that he wasn't actually German was based on his accent.