Poll: Gold Tank: too easy or too hard?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    As a seasoned Paladin tank, I was able to get Gold but had some difficulties with it. I cleared it a while ago so I don't remember if I was gearing for Mastery back then or Haste. I remember consistently have trouble with the last wave. I looked up some guides and people were saying that you actually have the kite the boss around. That blew my mind. As a tank, when do you ever have to kite a boss around the room?
    Grobbulus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    People have actually failed proving grounds gold? I got it on all three toons on multiple specs that I've barely even played. Lol..
    It may have to do with the fact that I put together a tanking set in 30 minutes and went there without knowing my ability. Ain't complaining about the results, because getting anything at all under those conditions is pure luck.

Gold isn't easy despite what some people say, but it's not incredibly hard or anything. Endless 30 is hard.

You do need to be appropriately geared though, ie CM geared. No legendary meta gem, try to maximise sockets, no TI gear if you can help it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    endless 30 was incredibly easy as druid tank, thats without cm gear, crit build and legendary meta on

PG Gold is pretty easy no matter which one it is. The fact that it took you a day and a half shows that it's not too easy. If you really want to test yourself go Endless 30 at least.

Honestly, too easy up until the last wave of gold, which is bordering on "too hard". I remember the day it came out I got up to that final wave, kept getting smashed, so said screw it and took a break from it for a couple of days, then went back and did it. That wave is really the only difficult part of it, because when both of those dudes enrage = pain, and even with cooldowns running you can get wrecked in seconds.

Overall though I didn't care for how Proving Grounds worked; I didn't find them to really be indicative of how to play. For instance, that last wave on Gold is harder (IMO) than the Trial during the Norushen encounter, which is what I think of when I think of tank practice - you need to move from stuff on the ground, know when to mitigate, know when to interrupt and know when to use cooldowns. Proving Grounds didn't feel that way even if ultimately that's what it was.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fluffhead View Post
    Grobbulus.
    Also BWD Nefarian if you were on add duty (not really a "boss" though). Also Primordius if you were using that strategy. And Lei Shen, technically although that wasn't really kiting.
    Last edited by Nobleshield; 2014-08-13 at 11:52 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Never had a problem with gold, think I did it on my second try, but screw endless. I hate the fact that I'd have to reforge/regem all my gear to stand a chance, and when you wipe you have to start all over again on the slow, pointless first few waves.

Not saying the difficulty is wrong, it probably isn't, but down-scaling of gear just causes more issue than I can be bothered dealing with. It feels shitty.

Not really a good way to teach tanking either, as it's missing the most difficult and vital element; other unpredictable and sometimes clueless players.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    As a tank, when do you ever have to kite a boss around the room?
    At high end raiding levels? Frequently, especially in progression.

The #1 rule of MMO encounter design: "If it can be kited, it will be"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Funny enough I blew threw Endless 30+ as a dps and healer, however I can't even do gold as a tank on my monk or warrior. I'd prefer to get it done on my monk, but it seems I just get overwhelmed so fast towards the end. Anyone have a good guide for Monk tanks in PG?
    It's been a while but the hardest wave from memory was the '7 wave (7, 17, 27, 37, etc), the one with the three large mantids. My strategy there was simply to cycle through my options:
    - you can paralyse one
    - Xuen can tank one
    - leg sweep
    - clash
    - disarm
    - fort brew
    - etc

By the time I ran out of the minor CDs, one of them would generally be dead and it would be much easier.

Just try to work out which waves you use fort brew on in particular and then memorise the mob types per wave and consider which of your abilities can minimise damage from each one.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    They probably complain because the last gold wave is way overtuned and it's harder than any other up to like 15 on endless.

Gold is very easy. The hardest part about endless is not being able to take a break. It's more of an endurance test if anything. By the time wave 20 rolls around, you start to feel a little blood loss in your arms. Other than that, the proving grounds in general is just a test of your ability to manage CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Featherman View Post
    endless 30 was incredibly easy as druid tank, thats without cm gear, crit build and legendary meta on
    Is that not the correct build for a guardian anyway? If you're SoO geared you probably have heaps of sockets anyway. And bear is a two button spec :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by vadya View Post
    At high end raiding levels? Frequently, especially in progression.

The #1 rule of MMO encounter design: "If it can be kited, it will be"
    You have a very loose definition of frequently.

In 25H SoO, as a prot paladin these are the things I kited:

1) Dark Shamans: slimes, and it wasn't really kiting, more like dump slimes away from the raid, facetank them for a few globals, and run back to boss.
    2) Nazgrim: war shamans from totems, if they survived stunlocks

That's it, I think. I guess technically you could kite the enraged adds on Spoils but I never bothered/needed to.

Brewmasters kite in Garrosh H, so you can add that too if you'd like, but that is not done on the same principles of Proving Grounds. In PG you kite to survive. And that NEVER happens in heroic siege. You kite for convenience or simplification. Maybe Shaman slimes I will grant, if you don't know how to use CDs, but that would be all.

If someone asked me how often they'd have to kite as a tank in heroics, I'd say very rarely. "Frequently" would be, like, how often do they need to taunt swap. As for the guy's actual question, when do you kite a BOSS around the room? The answer is "basically never." This is kiting, remember, staying out of range of a boss. Like you very obviously do a ton of movement as a tank. Someone above said Primordius, but that is not kiting. That is moving. Kiting implies that you stay out of melee range of the boss/adds/whatever. In PG, you often have to kite, as in, stay out of range to let stacks fall off / not take damage, and that hardly ever happens in actual raiding. An actual example I can think of, for currentish content, would be doing LFR Lei Shen solo tank when undergeared and having to kite in the final phase to let my stacks drop. Possibly also Iron Qon Heroic after the 1st whirlwind to let stacks fall off without using BoP, but that was beyond trivial since it happened from just getting to safety.
    Last edited by trystero; 2014-08-14 at 02:52 PM.

I didn't think it was easy, but it wasn't too hard for me to beat. I did it as a prot spec but used my dps gear (aside from sword + shield). But really a DPS Warrior focusses on Crit > Mastery which is a pretty viable gearing route for prot too, so it works well. I was getting my face smashed in and I failed the first 2 times due to the Panda woman dying, due to adds coming out of every bloody where splashing damage around.

3rd time was a charm though and I beat it pretty decently then, it was pretty chaotic though and I'd expect someone who can tank that could tank pretty much anything. I'd say the majority of tanks I come across in LFR would not be able to beat Proving Grounds Gold, not even close... But any normal mode raiding tank would do it without too much trouble.

I did Silver as Arms, didn't use a shield... Basically rotate cooldowns and run away like a little girl, stormbolting/heroic throwing and charge + thunderclap when needed to grab the agro... Was more difficult than Gold in Prot spec survival wise, but otherwise pretty simple.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2014-08-14 at 02:54 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I fear we have to re-do it, which I find retarded with achievements. Oh, look..I tanked for 8 years, thanks for making me jump through hoops again. (Yes, even though I usually do it with a guild, there may be reasons why I just want a quick LFR)
    Unless it changed, I recall them saying if you wanted to use LFG to queue for heroic dungeons or use LFR you would need the achievement, but not if you did a premade group for heroic dungeons (although I can't recall if that meant you had to go to the dungeon yourself).

Deleted
    Well I found it quite hard to do on a warrior tank, I didn't change my gear/gems/enchants/reforges from my normal tanking gear tho. Took me quite many tries to get the gold, even I have played a warrior for a long time and I understand how warrior tank works. Just felt like why I even bother to play this class anymore since it seems that monks etc can just faceroll everything.