Poll: How much downtime do you prefer?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How much downtime do you prefer?

When playing your DK, how much downtime do you prefer?

Downtime in itself is boring, but frost gets to use the downtime as a resource to increase damage, a resource just as valuable as say crit or haste.
    <Midwinter> - 14/14 HM -25m - LF exceptional raiders
    http://www.mwguild.net/
    DK Theorycrafting/Game Dev Blog
    DK Gear/log reviews/audits

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish there was an option for between 0 and 10 percent.

I'll go with 20%, just enough for the game to actually leave room for resource pooling and decision taking, instead of just being a whack-a-mole of sorts.

I actually prefer 15%, but I picked 20% because 10% is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendenbarr View Post
    Downtime in itself is boring, but frost gets to use the downtime as a resource to increase damage, a resource just as valuable as say crit or haste.
    Is that with new 6.0 Frost, with the down time being waiting to be able to use the correct ability on KM?

For me, the less downtime the better. I prefer to play a class where I'm always doing something, always thinking about using an ability or always trying to complete my rotation. That's why I love Frost. I fear the change quite heavily, though I hope we'll scale up quickly back to the rapid fire spec I love.

The problem with this poll is we can't limit it to people in the beta, who have tried Frost at 40%+ downtime in the actual game. You can't really "get" how it feels until you sit without pressing any buttons for 5 seconds, over and over. That's why I put my poll in the blizz forums.

Additionally, people can vote multiple times by re-registering. Can't do that in beta.

Last, your cute little notes alongside each option could be seen as biasing voters against high wait times-- and probably triggered some people to vote for 40% just to spite you. It's important to keep the poll itself neutral in tone.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2014-08-11 at 09:24 PM.

I'd say 20-30% for frost. 0-20% blood.

Around 20% seems right to me. ..... to look at recount? may be lol

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Last, your cute little notes alongside each option could be seen as biasing voters against high wait times-- and probably triggered some people to vote for 40% just to spite you. It's important to keep the poll itself neutral in tone.
    This is way too true.

At this rate I'm going to have 100% downtime because blizzard seem pretty determined to drive me away from this class despite my efforts to the contrary.

Seriously if I can do the same dps, If possible I would like my rotation to be just Outbreak/Icy Touch/Plague Strike + Death and Decay then just refresh them as necessary. I don't really care for down time as long as I can do the same things.
    Nyaaaa~

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    The problem with this poll is we can't limit it to people in the beta, who have tried Frost at 40%+ downtime in the actual game. You can't really "get" how it feels until you sit without pressing any buttons for 5 seconds, over and over. That's why I put my poll in the blizz forums.

Additionally, people can vote multiple times by re-registering. Can't do that in beta.

Most people who have played their DK for any amount of time OR have tried leveling a new DK lately know that when we have downtime, it comes in large chunks. I'm sure there are plenty of us still left who played during the beginning of Cata. That was our first taste of excessive downtime.

The "cute little notes" are to lighten the mood. You people need to get a sense of humor. Besides, this poll is more for fun than anything. If every single person voted for one specific range, you still shouldn't expect any "change" in the Devs plans. They've gone all in with this design IMO.

People like what they like. How, why, and when we press our buttons during combat is the most fundamental aspect of playing this game. All of the outcry we have been seeing about the downtime here and on twitter isn't even close to representing the silent masses who just play the game. There could be a backlash for this design similar to the DK exodus that happened in Cata. All things considered, I wouldn't be surprised if DK representation were to fall from #5 to #7 during WoD.

Leveling aside, going all the way back to WOTLK DKs never had much downtime. Unholy has never been over 20%, and frost typically much less.

I don't care about representation. I care that they're taking something I enjoy and transforming it into something I really, really don't.

I don't remember having excessive downtime at the start of cataclysm.

I remember being close to gcd locked with no haste or ams before I got gear and switched to unholy presence, and even then the downtime wasn't that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiira View Post
    I don't remember having excessive downtime at the start of cataclysm.

I remember being close to gcd locked with no haste or ams before I got gear and switched to unholy presence, and even then the downtime wasn't that bad.
    At the very beginning of the first tier of Cata, things felt very slow. But gaining Haste changed things quickly. We started with DW in FP, then eventually switched to 2H in UP, and finally settled into DW in UP for the remainder of the xpac.

- - - Updated - - -

And what about AoE? What about burst situations in AoE? Frost Fever pails in comparison to Feral's bleeds and Assassination's poisons. Frost DKs rely on Howling Blast which costs runes. Are we to sit around for 10 sec or more to save up resources for that burst? Is that going to be fun? I don't think so.

To be blunt, the design sucks. No way around it.

I don't mind having an empty GCD now and again, but having to wait for shit constantly is boring as fuck. Why do the devs have such a hard on for giving every class downtime? It's not interesting gameplay, it's boring as fuck.

Feels like they're slowly becoming Google 'If it's not broken, fix it anyway'.

A class like ours that starts the expansion with no downtime has little need for haste. It might actually help with our scaling to have it there to begin with, if our numbers are balanced with other classes.

It may be valuable, but it definitely doesn't result in the same sense of joy that you get from seeing a large crit. Downtime makes you feel like a turtle flipped on its back; you're helpless - the feeling is all the more acute when you are being attacked by a group of creatures and have to agonizingly watch your runes recharge to hit the next Death Strike.

It's extremely boring, counterintuitive, and furthermore makes for lazy play - with less downtime you have to make quick decisions and can react to threats much faster. Given my perception of the demerits of downtime, I invite someone to give reasons as to why one would want a significant amount (30%+, say) for any specialization.

Deleted
    "Cute little notes"?
    Have your parents finally turned off the light in your basement?