Elemental dps question

Hey fellas, couple things:

Here's my warcraftlogs stuff: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings...187255/latest/

1) do you guys use searing totem? I figure it does ~600k damage per minute.
    2) do you use unleash flame for a lava burst or flame shock?

If you notice any other funny things about my logs/gear, please do tell!
    Methyx @ Illidan

Thanks!

Blademaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Just without even looking at your logs, to answer your initial two questions:

1) You should keep a fire totem at as close to 100% uptime as possible. There's simply no reason not to since it's basically free damage.

2) If you are running Unleashed Fury, use it on Lava Burst. If you are running Elemental Blast, I suggest saving your unleash for that.

Deleted
    Off topic - Please read the stickies They have answers to most questions you should have, and the Elemental Shaman Guide thread is where most people post these kinds of questions

On Topic :

The Rotation (as said in the sticky) includes Searing Totem, and you should only use Unleash Flame (EDIT: The reply above said to use UE on Elemental Blast, if you don't have the Unleash Fury talent, you shouldn't cast UE at all, except maybe on Thok if you can't get another cast off and have nothing else instant to cast) if you have the Unleash Fury talent, and even then only use it for Lava Burst, never for Flame Shock.

Regarding WoL, Immerseus is pretty terrible for judging DPS, so I took a look at a couple of your Malkarok kills (much more representative of single target DPS, so can actually get useful information from it). Looking at that, you seem pretty good on your Flame Shock usage, but you really need to be using Searing Totem more, for the single global it costs it will definitely do more damage than any other spell. You also should be using Earth Shock more, you munched a LOT of charges on the kill I'm looking at. I'm pretty confident you could have gotten at least 3 more max stack Earth Shocks off.

Generally though, you seem to be doing alright.

100% fire totem up time is atm not a super important thing, if you aren't going to get like 40+sec out of searing it is not worth the cast. But yea it is "worth using".
    I am Çhubathingy of [A]<Royal Militia> on KT - Former top 20US raider.

Quote Originally Posted by Undefetter View Post
    Off topic - Please read the stickies They have answers to most questions you should have, and the Elemental Shaman Guide thread is where most people post these kinds of questions

On Topic :

The Rotation (as said in the sticky) includes Searing Totem, and you should only use Unleash Flame (EDIT: The reply above said to use UE on Elemental Blast, if you don't have the Unleash Fury talent, you shouldn't cast UE at all, except maybe on Thok if you can't get another cast off and have nothing else instant to cast) if you have the Unleash Fury talent, and even then only use it for Lava Burst, never for Flame Shock.

Regarding WoL, Immerseus is pretty terrible for judging DPS, so I took a look at a couple of your Malkarok kills (much more representative of single target DPS, so can actually get useful information from it). Looking at that, you seem pretty good on your Flame Shock usage, but you really need to be using Searing Totem more, for the single global it costs it will definitely do more damage than any other spell. You also should be using Earth Shock more, you munched a LOT of charges on the kill I'm looking at. I'm pretty confident you could have gotten at least 3 more max stack Earth Shocks off.

Generally though, you seem to be doing alright.
    I read the stickies. The Elemental one is a year old, and were not made with 585+ item level gear in mind.

Thanks Kreiglshock for the Unleash Flame info.

And it isn't free damage really, it costs a global cooldown. I was just looking for a little bit of input.

Thanks everyone!

The stickies are still good for the current gear levels. I do not believe unleash elements is worth using unless its talented.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    The stickies are still good for the current gear levels. I do not believe unleash elements is worth using unless its talented.
    Especially considering the very first line of the sticky clearly states it is updated for 5.4

Deleted
    Searing Totem is a minor DPS increase, almost not worth it. You should only drop it when you have no procs up, everything useful is on cooldown, and you do not have a fire totem active. So, no LMG/trinkets/jade spirit/item enchants, LvB, ES/FS and EB/UE are all on cooldown, and your totem has expired.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeruge View Post
    Searing Totem is a minor DPS increase, almost not worth it. You should only drop it when you have no procs up, everything useful is on cooldown, and you do not have a fire totem active. So, no LMG/trinkets/jade spirit/item enchants, LvB, ES/FS and EB/UE are all on cooldown, and your totem has expired.
    Yup, it is lowest priority, only cast it if you have nothing up and would only be casting a LB instead.