Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Hans'gar & Franzok...so what, now its our term?

Blizz basically just spent an entire expansion insulting a good third of the worlds population, by letting a team of artists who grew up in America and Europe reinvent their comic book version of asian culture, complete with a cheap ripoff of Buddhist philosophy, which didn't even make sense in the lore-logic of the game itself.

And now, it would appear, "ze germans!" are next in line? To clarify for people who are not familiar with the culture (I am not german, but I grew up there, so not only am I a native speaker, but also very familiar with the culture to the point where I consider it my own), "Hans" and "Franz" are iconic german male first names (and the only names germans seem to get in WWII movies).

I am not saying this was the singular cause Blizz, but may I remind you, that you lost 3 Million players in asia over the course of your last expansion?

10+ Year Old Account
    You cannot be serious...
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Deleted
    its a game. what's the problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Blizzard already made fun of the Germans. Remember Uldum? The Indiana Jones rip-offs and the goblin's dialog being in a silly German accent? And the yelling of "Nine, nine, nine, nine, nine!" etc.
    Reference to a movie is one thing. Reference to a culture and depicting them as 2 big stupid Ogres is another.

Quote Originally Posted by pulchritudinous View Post
    its a game. what's the problem.
    So, you think the french would like it, if they included a giant Frog-Boss and named him "D'Gaull"?

It is more to do with the SNL skit then anything else.

Deleted
    Have you never heard the accents from the bosses in Scarlet Halls? And yeah i think you integrated well, since Germans have no humor.

This is just pathetic.

I don't give a fuck about the name, the fight looks amazing. It was like when Lord Rhyolith was originally named Lord Anthrycyst( that being a type of coal ) but had his name changed because people whined about it being too close to anti-christ.

Oh and they are orcs not ogres.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2014-08-13 at 09:27 AM.

Warcraft cultures are closely inspired by real world cultures.

They aren't even based on them.

That's why comments like "pandaria is china" and " tauren are Indians"
    Doesn't fly.

Also I don't see how the nature of pandArias culture has anything to do with professional games getting bored after 1year of no new content

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorzzara View Post
    Reference to a movie is one thing. Reference to a culture and depicting them as 2 big stupid Ogres is another.

So, you think the french would like it, if they included a giant Frog-Boss and named him "D'Gaull"?
    The difference being that Germans have never been called ogres or depicted as so.

Don't be so easily offended. Nothing wrong with light hearted fun around countries and cultures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockula View Post
    It is more to do with the SNL skit then anything else.
    A SNL reference is exactly what it is.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

So like if I made a goof character and called him Chris I'm making fun of the English...

Or something?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmow View Post
    Have you never heard the accents from the bosses in Scarlet Halls? And yeah i think you integrated well, since Germans have no humor.
    Wow, you have to resort to racist slurs, because you can't argue? That says a lot about you as a person.

No my friend, I have no problem with that personally. But this game lives of the fact that it has an audience. Since I would like WoW to continue in the near-mid future, I don't see how lame naming-jokes on the mental level of an 8-year-old, which could be insulting to a large part of that audience help this goal.

German here and Hans and Franz are not insulting. They also reference a SNL sketch:

All is good, don't get upset over nothing. It's actually very funny.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Deleted
    Hi,

also German here;

And this is nowhere near insulting

Geez...people, this is a game...

Mein Gott. Are you serious with this? 0/10 for trolling.

Deleted
    Wow, you have to resort to racist slurs, because you can't argue? That says a lot about you as a person.

No my friend, I have no problem with that personally. But this game lives of the fact that it has an audience. Since I would like WoW to continue in the near-mid future, I don't see how lame naming-jokes on the mental level of an 8-year-old, which could be insulting to a large part of that audience help this goal.
    It's a fact m8. Anyways i give you a 4/10 for trolling, better luck next time.

Deleted
    Glad some Germans are chipping in the thread to confirm there's no problem here.

Threads over folks *thumbs up*

To clarify for people who are not familiar with the culture (I am not german, but I grew up there, so not only am I a native speaker, but also very familiar with the culture to the point where I consider it my own), "Hans" and "Franz" are iconic german male first names (and the only names germans seem to get in WWII movies).
    Being German (and BTW taking no offense in this, I love it; shows clearly that you US guys still think we live in the 1960s here ) I personally think that "Franzok" is more directed at French people to be true. Sure Franz is a German name, but we have some rather insensitive terms here for our neighbors and "Franzok" comes pretty close.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post
    Glad some Germans are chipping in the thread to confirm there's no problem here.

Threads over folks *thumbs up*
    Again, I don't have a problem with it either. But "some germans chipping in" on MMChamp and several 100.000 german people playing...that's a different story entirely. But we will see how it plays out.