"Windows has stopped responding"

Hello.

My 4-ish months old computer has started misbehaving recently. It started with BSODs, can't rememebr the exact error code but it's something along the lines of 0xa000001 but when I googled it I found nothing. A few days ago, after I got my new 144Hz monitor(had 60Hz VGA with a DP-adapter before that), I started getting these new errors. You know "X has stopped responding" and you get to either terminate the process or wait. Well, that has started happening with my microsoft windows, apparently . . . Feels kinda weird since I can still talk and hear on e.g. Skype when this occurs but can't do anything else. According to this site its windows desktop manager, and exiting it in the task manager should fix it. But I can't find that process.

I've scanned my computer with Avast 5 times but found nothing. Could this be dangerous or am I just being paranoid?

Specs:
    Mobo: Z87M-D3H
    CPU: intel-core i5-4670K @3.40GHz (2 CPUs)
    GPU: XFX Radeon R9 290
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Storage: Samsung SSD EVO Basic 840-Series 250GB and Seagate Desktop HDD 2TB 7200RPM(I think that's the HDD, not 100% sure)

Edit:
    The error window is located at the bottom left of the screen.

Deleted
    The process comes under "Explorer.exe" last time i checked (i would double check just to be sure ). Do note that deleting this process will make your start menu ect. vanish so you will have to run the process again i believe!

Avast is really good i thought it would have got anything. You can always try Malwarebytes which is a good antivirus (its has a free version to!).

Check that all your windows updates are up to date! Try changing your resolution/windows style to a lower one and try running in safe mode!

All i can recommend!

I get a BSOD with that errorcode every other month, all I can find is that it's a problem with your videocard. Nothing on what the actual problem is, just that it's a problem with a handful of Radeon GPU's.
    Guess I should RMA it, but I'm lazy and it doesn't happen often to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you tried reseating all of your components? Check your temps, and make sure all of your drivers are up to date. Also, what are you doing when you get the error?

Click on the more details thing at the bottom of the task manager and scroll down until you find Desktop Window Manager.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    I get a BSOD with that errorcode every other month, all I can find is that it's a problem with your videocard. Nothing on what the actual problem is, just that it's a problem with a handful of Radeon GPU's.
    Guess I should RMA it, but I'm lazy and it doesn't happen often to me.
    I second this! My previous GPU was a radeon HD 7000 series and it had a lot of driver malfunctions! Should get it checked!

Deleted
    if it was an 0x0000001a then it is most likely a memory issue,
    this can be caused by
    poorly fitted ram - Just check to see if they are seated correctly.
    Ram over heating - Check there is decent airflow in case
    Ram Failing - Run a Ram Diagnostic test.

Download and read the instruction on how to use memtest86

Deleted
    Are you by any chance playing Hearthstone? The newest patch released for it has been know to cause similiar symptoms as what you described along with other stability issues on Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Lithii View Post
    Are you by any chance playing Hearthstone? The newest patch released for it has been know to cause similiar symptoms as what you described along with other stability issues on Windows 8.1
    As a matter of fact I do. But should this patch affect stabillity even when I'm not playing? Cause the first time I got it I was playing killing floor, I think. The second time I was simply surfing the web but the last time (last night) I was finnishing the newest naxx wing(hearthstone). I do however think that the b.net client has been active every time it has happened.
    Last edited by mittacc; 2014-08-13 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    As a matter of fact I do. But should this patch affect stabillity even when I'm not playing? Cause the first time I got it I was playing killing floor, I think. The second time I was simply surfing the web but the last time (last night) I was finnishing the newest naxx wing(hearthstone). I do however think that the b.net client has been active every time it has happened.
    Check my thread on Hearthstone/windows freeze bug, it's worth a try:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...e-latest-patch

10+ Year Old Account
    I only have problems with Hearthstone, and no other instability issues, so I doubt it's the sole reason for your issues. I'd still suggest reseating all your stuff and updating drivers.

Use Notarget's advice too and run HS in comp mode.

Hello.

My 4-ish months old computer has started misbehaving recently. It started with BSODs, can't rememebr the exact error code but it's something along the lines of 0xa000001 but when I googled it I found nothing. A few days ago, after I got my new 144Hz monitor(had 60Hz VGA with a DP-adapter before that), I started getting these new errors. You know "X has stopped responding" and you get to either terminate the process or wait. Well, that has started happening with my microsoft windows, apparently . . . Feels kinda weird since I can still talk and hear on e.g. Skype when this occurs but can't do anything else. According to this site its windows desktop manager, and exiting it in the task manager should fix it. But I can't find that process.

I've scanned my computer with Avast 5 times but found nothing. Could this be dangerous or am I just being paranoid?

Specs:
    Mobo: Z87M-D3H
    CPU: intel-core i5-4670K @3.40GHz (2 CPUs)
    GPU: XFX Radeon R9 290
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Storage: Samsung SSD EVO Basic 840-Series 250GB and Seagate Desktop HDD 2TB 7200RPM(I think that's the HDD, not 100% sure)

Edit:
    The error window is located at the bottom left of the screen.

found your issue... you have windows 8.1
    the solution downgrade to windows 7 .. take windows 8 software cd smash into millions of pieces andsend in envelope to microsoft.

Infracted - Trolling is not appreciated. If you don't want to help in someone's help request, keep comments like this out.
    Last edited by chazus; 2014-08-13 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakotsu View Post
    found your issue... you have windows 8.1
    the solution downgrade to windows 7 .. take windows 8 software cd smash into millions of pieces andsend in envelope to microsoft.
    Yeah i don't think trolling is ok on this forum...
    Ive been using win 8.1 since day 1, and have never had any problems with it. Tried installing windows 7, 2 days ago, and went back to win 8.1 right after. Its just so much smoother and faster..
    Fractal Design R5 |MSI Z87-G45 | i5 4690k @4.6Ghz | Noctua NH-D15 | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 | MSI 980ti G6 |
    XFX 850W | WD Black 1TB | Samsung Evo 850 1TB | Samsung Evo 850 250GB SSD x 2 | Intel 180GB SSD | Rog Swift

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, he's at least partially correct. Hearthstone is having issues with Win 8/8.1 Still, the Win 7 comp mode seems to be working alright.

Okay. 90% of the time, a BSOD is RAM-related. If you haven't used Memtest yet, use that (linked a little higher up.) It will test if your RAM is working properly and if not, you'll know you have to replace a stick.

The other possibility in this case is graphics-related; go uninstall the drivers for your card and then reinstall them. Hopefully that will fix it.

As mentioned already; physically uninstall and re-seat your hardware: memory, graphics card, connections. blow stuff out.

definately address the video card and driver....

you can try running your rig without the graphics card... you should have an APU. will work for games on low to medium settings and be just fine for playing video streams. That will atleast isolate your graphics card to see it its some other issue.

Deleted
    Since the issue might have been related to Hearthstone and OP hasn't posted since the supposed fix I posted it might have figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Since the issue might have been related to Hearthstone and OP hasn't posted since the supposed fix I posted it might have figured it out.
    The window freezing error has indeed vanished. The BSOD, however, persists :/

The window freezing error has indeed vanished. The BSOD, however, persists :/
    Is there a usual time when the BSODs occur? Like when you're playing this game or that game, or doing something specific? How often do they occur? Have you tried using your old monitor to see if you still get them? Have you tried a new cable with your new monitor? Have you checked your GPU temps?

Download the latest release version of your Graphics Drivers Catalyst Software Suite 256 MB 14.4 4/24/2014 Download

Use http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/ to uninstall the old ones, then use https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner to scan and remove any old files/registry entries, restart, install the new drivers, restart, done.

10+ Year Old Account
    That shit corrupted my entire OS so it wasn't recognized at all. Had to very painstakingly reformat 2 drives to get my computer working again.