Thread: ALS Challenge

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    http://www.alsa.org/news/media/press...enge-0818.html

"As of Monday, August 18, The ALS Association has received $15.6 million in donations compared to $1.8 million during the same time period last year (July 29 to August 18). These donations have come from existing donors and 307,598 new donors to The Association."

You can use your "raising awareness" sarcasm all you want, but it's working.
    Exactly what I was looking for, people come on here talking nonsense and they have made more money then ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrair View Post
    for what its worth, I had no idea about ALS and what it was.

now I know ALS means dumping ice water over your head and donating to a charity.

what charity and how do I donate? no idea.

what exactly is ALS? no idea either.

but when someone asks me if I've heard of ALS, I can say it's about dumping ice water over your head.

It would literally take you less time to Google all the information you need to answer all of those questions than writing what you just posted.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's good for their fundraising I suppose. If people want to dump buckets of ice water on their heads, more power to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

10+ Year Old Account
    But doesn't that make you a douche if you would rather pour a bucket of ice on your head than donate to cancer research? I mean, especially if you had to go buy the ice and bucket, which is likely about 12-15 bucks right there.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    But doesn't that make you a douche if you would rather pour a bucket of ice on your head than donate to cancer research? I mean, especially if you had to go buy the ice and bucket, which is likely about 12-15 bucks right there.
    If the challenge was simply to donate $100, I don't think we'd be getting the same results.

Better for you to get $15 and a mildly amusing video than $0, which is likely the alternative.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because people don't own ice and buckets already? Wat.

The reason it has raised so much is because of these ''douche''s raising awareness through videos on social media so you really need to get your logic straight on this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoryTee View Post
    Because people don't own ice and buckets already? Wat.

The reason it has raised so much is because of these ''douche''s raising awareness through videos on social media so you really need to get your logic straight on this one.
    So why not make a video of you donating money instead of pouring ice water on your head? I wonder how much has been donated in comparison to ice bucket videos. (yes some people don't have ice buckets or enough space in their freezer to make a buckets worth of ice/ice machine)

Pouring ice on your head is also not a challenge, pour ice in a tub and sit in it for 5 to 10 minutes. Even that is a bit on the easy side.

Either way it says "I will do almost anything to avoid donating time or money to cancer research"
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

It's like KONY 2012, internet heroes like to pretend they are accomplishing something in the world. Oh well, if it saves them from depression and suicide....
    Call me Cassandra

10+ Year Old Account
    So why not make a video of you donating money instead of pouring ice water on your head? I wonder how much has been donated in comparison to ice bucket videos. (yes some people don't have ice buckets or enough space in their freezer to make a buckets worth of ice/ice machine)

Pouring ice on your head is also not a challenge, pour ice in a tub and sit in it for 5 to 10 minutes. Even that is a bit on the easy side.

Either way it says "I will do almost anything to avoid donating time or money to cancer research"

It wouldn't be successful if it was boring videos of people saying they are going to donate some money, you are completely failing to see the point of why the nomination bit is so vital to this campaigns success.

Your idea is better on paper but in reality it would never work, if you really want to get in to semantics then yeah sure it's not much of a ''challenge'', but it's not really supposed to be.

The easier the ''challenge'' is the more people will do it, see?

Quote Originally Posted by Anyael View Post
    It's like KONY 2012, internet heroes like to pretend they are accomplishing something in the world. Oh well, if it saves them from depression and suicide....

How are they pretending they are accomplishing something? This viral campaign has raised millions.

It so edgy hating these sorts of things.

My dad suffers from Motor Neuron Disease, which is linked with ALS, so its nice to see research get some funding, and some other serious diseases other than cancer get some awareness
    Last edited by Aquinan; 2014-08-18 at 05:58 PM. Reason: derped on spelling

Deleted
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28317007

I thought this was about deafness, not ALS? But nevermind, ultimately this is just raising money that is going to be wasted in the name of "research", and isn't going to improve anybody's life.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's prolly been mentioned somewhere in this thread, but I didn't want to go through each page to find it.

But in case it isn't.

ALS Challenge,

Donate $100
    or
    Dump a bucket of Ice Water on your head and donate $10

Either way, you are supposed to donate. Those who are telling people that you can either donate or dump ice on your head are doing it wrong and making everyone look like fools.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

How are they pretending they are accomplishing something? This viral campaign has raised millions.

It so edgy hating these sorts of things.

It's raised millions, congratulations Ice Bucket Campaign: I'm talking about the reason it is so viral in the first place. People love to display that they are really caring about issues in the world by... doing things completely unrelated to what the problem is!

Right on, keep doing that great work, internet heroes!

And they dump the bucket and don't have to donate.
    Call me Cassandra

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyael View Post
    It's raised millions, congratulations Ice Bucket Campaign: I'm talking about the reason it is so viral in the first place. People love to display that they are really caring about issues in the world by... doing things completely unrelated to what the problem is!

Right on, keep doing that great work, internet heroes!

And they dump the bucket and don't have to donate.

If they dump the bucket they have to donate a smaller amount..

Who cares if people are doing this for the wrong reasons? The results are real and tangible.

Clearly we need captain obvious to point out that most of these people normally don't give a shit about ALS though.

I have yet to watch one where the person didn't donate as well. The only one I've seen otherwise is the Seattle Mariners donating $1000 and the Moose not wanting to get his fur wet.

If they dump the bucket they have to donate a smaller amount..

Who cares if people are doing this for the wrong reasons? The results are real and tangible.

Clearly we need captain obvious to point out that most of these people normally don't give a shit about ALS though.
    I don't like ulterior motives.
    Call me Cassandra

Why not just donate the money? Or pour the water for fun then donate money?

The whole thing is stupid for a variety of reasons. Firstly sure it's raising money, but what exactly is that accomplishing? How many hundreds of millions of dollars has been raised for cancer research, and at best we have some treatments that are still miserable to go through and only sometimes work. So really, what is 15 million or whatever going to do for ALS? Probably nothing.

On top of that I find it hilariously ironic that people are throwing water on themselves, the same water that thousands and thousands of people would love to have to be able to drink, because they're too cheap to donate.

Regardless, it's cool that it's working I guess, but at the end of the day it won't actually accomplish anything, and just like Kony 2012 everybody will forget about this in a couple of months at most.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    The whole thing is stupid for a variety of reasons. Firstly sure it's raising money, but what exactly is that accomplishing? How many hundreds of millions of dollars has been raised for cancer research, and at best we have some treatments that are still miserable to go through and only sometimes work. So really, what is 15 million or whatever going to do for ALS? Probably nothing.

On top of that I find it hilariously ironic that people are throwing water on themselves, the same water that thousands and thousands of people would love to have to be able to drink, because they're too cheap to donate.

Regardless, it's cool that it's working I guess, but at the end of the day it won't actually accomplish anything, and just like Kony 2012 everybody will forget about this in a couple of months at most.

Between 29 July and 12 August, the ALS Association has seen donations quadruple from year-ago levels, hitting $4m. Over the same period, they have received gifts from 70,000 new donors – people they will try to transform into regular givers.

Also, do you think people should feel bad everytime they have a water fight because of children dying in Africa of thirst? You need a dose of reality.

I'm very charitable, and I give a good amount to many different causes.

I will never donate becasue someone says that I have to, though. This "challenge" is very ignorant in my eyes.

Essentially, what you're being told is that you have to fork over $100 or suffer. Fuck that.