Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Physic question!

Ok, so here's the question. Imagine this, you are falling from the sky while sitting on some platform, like 5km high, sure death, and just before you hit the floor you jump off, like 1 meter before the ground ( theoretically possible ).
    Will you survive or not?

Deleted
    why would you survive?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zmuci View Post
    Ok, so here's the question. Imagine this, you are falling from the sky while sitting on some platform, like 5km high, sure death, and just before you hit the floor you jump off, like 1 meter before the ground ( theoretically possible ).
    Will you survive or not?
    It has been demonstrated that you can survive on an episode of Bugs Bunny.

And the platform is really really heave, you cant push it. How about then?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, your legs are not capable of generating anywhere close to enough thrust to propel yourself away from the platform fast enough to cancel out your downward momentum.

You would just hit the ground a couple miles per hour slower than the platform. You still dead though homie.

No. The center of mass between you and the platform will continue falling with the same momentum as before. You'll just delay your *SPLAT* by short amount of time.

But, I suggest empirical evidence. Go rent a helicopter and a platform, and try it out!

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    No. The center of mass between you and the platform will continue falling with the same momentum as before. You'll just delay your *SPLAT* by short amount of time.

But, I suggest empirical evidence. Go rent a helicopter and a platform, and try it out!
    But if I try it and fail, noone will know that it is not possible!

Life is not a video game. You wont jump off the platform, you'll just push it slightly and both of you will hit the ground near terminal velocity, leaving a nice puddle of jam.

15+ Year Old Account
    Will you survive or not?
    of course you will, haven´t you watched the scientific documentary called looney tunes?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Ok fuck it, ill hire some gnome and test with it.

15+ Year Old Account
    But if I try it and fail, noone will know that it is not possible!
    have you ever heard of something called mathematics?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Up next on Science for the Stupid: If I jump in a plane, will I go flying to the back of the plane?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Up next on Science for the Stupid: If I jump in a plane, will I go flying to the back of the plane?
    Yes.

Yes, you will.

/sarcasm

10+ Year Old Account
    Why don't you just do a Heroic Leap right before you fall? Nerf Warriors

Deleted
    Okay, this comes up a lot with the lift/elevator scenario. If the cable snapped at you fell, but jumped just before the lift hit the ground would you be okay? I think it's the same kind of scenario.

Jumping would actually reduce the force of the impact a little bit (by however much you jumped by) but you would still most likely die. The only way you wouldn't die is if you could jump with an equal force that you were falling at. Which, if we are talking about a lift, doesn't make sense because if you could jump like that then you wouldn't be using a lift in the first place.

Deleted
    if physics worked like this, then anyone who jumped up and down on a vehical would meet with a nasty surprise as they would become motionless and the vehicle would continue onwards.

Why do you think that people use parachutes and not a couple of detachable blocks of wood on their feet ?
    Last edited by mmocd8f86ed6f0; 2014-08-14 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Okay, this comes up a lot with the lift/elevator scenario. If the cable snapped at you fell, but jumped just before the lift hit the ground would you be okay? I think it's the same kind of scenario.

Jumping would actually reduce the force of the impact a little bit (by however much you jumped by) but you would still most likely die. The only way you wouldn't die is if you could jump with an equal force that you were falling at. Which, if we are talking about a lift, doesn't make sense because if you could jump like that then you wouldn't be using a lift in the first place.
    Jumping in elevator works, really, really well.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's relativity. You're moving down at terminal velocity, which is really fast. If you jump up, you'll slow yourself down by just a tiny bit, but still be moving down at a very high speed. You go splat.
    The average terminal velocity of a skydiver is 200 km/h. That's not how fast you'll be falling, but it'll give you a basic idea of the speeds we're talking about. So unless you can match or surpass that speed by jumping, you will not go to space today.
    Last edited by Jun; 2014-08-14 at 01:46 PM.
    And you could have it all,
    my Empire of Dirt.
    I will let you down,
    I will make you Hurt.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You and the platform would accelerate together to some terminal velocity - let's say 200km/h or 55m/s

As you jump, you will accelerate in the opposite direction of the platform at about the same speed as you normally jump. If someone could jump 1 meter up, the velocity at the point of liftoff is calculated using the following equation of motion:

v^2 = u^2 + 2as
    u = 0, a = 10, s= 1 so v= sqrt(20) which is about 4 m/s.

now it's simple maths. Subtract your jump velocity from your falling velocity to obtain your actual velocity of around 51 m/s.

You won't hit the ground quite as hard, but it will still be a very significant and deadly speed.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Answer me this! If i walk off of a cliff why is it that i won't fall until i look down?

See if you can explain that with your fancy science.