Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Purge, movies becomming reality?

You all have seen the movie, I'm sure, are we going to see it in reality?

Threats have happened all over, most just hype, but is it possible that a "Purge" will?

N. Florida Purge announced.

Only time will tell.

/facepalm

It's never going to happen, the movie was pure nonsense. There is no chance the government will ever be permitted by the people to allow such a thing to occur. What you're seeing in that link is some asinine potential gang activity that will be cracked down.

Deleted
    people who are setting that kind of events on FB should be purged instantly for their stupidity ;<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bazyk View Post
    people who are setting that kind of events on FB should be purged instantly for their stupidity ;<
    Yes, I agree, the line between art and reality is being blurred far too much these days.

Deleted
    I didn't see the movie just because the whole concept is so stupid and far from reality it sounds more like on of those Shyamalan twists right up there with having a monkey as the president.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post

Threats have happened all over, most just hype, but is it possible that a "Purge" will?

Only time will tell.
    No, the thing about the movie is it is officially sanctioned or whatever by the government. Law enforcement and such don't operate during the time. And obviously the whole idea behind the movie is absurd, the idea that such a thing could actually make a society more stable. Those movies are sort of fun to just watch the chaos, but past that they're pretty dumb.

Could someone try organizing one? I guess, if they could find enough psychopaths to join them. But you can bet that if authorities thought it was any amount of serious they'd be rolling tanks or some shit into that area. Really though, it won't happen.

Though there's probably a number of people that would be okay with a purge in Florida.
    Main - Spirál - Hunter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    I didn't see the movie just because the whole concept is so stupid and far from reality it sounds more like on of those Shyamalan twists right up there with having a monkey as the president.
    You're not missing much, I think there's a sequel maybe coming or already out, I watched the first one and it was just the usual like, glorification of violence dolled up as "this is an interesting concept for which there are valid arguments on both sides!"

I haven't seen this movie. Does it glorify vigilante justice? Or is it just a bunch of regular people murdering innocent people?

I enjoyed watching the movie. I remember going to see it at the cinema with my partner after a nice meal. It was fairly predictable but I'm a huge fan of Lena Headey and so I was content to watch it. My partner and I then joked that the area we live in would probably participate in a 'Purge' due to it being similarly affluent to the area portrayed in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yes, I agree, the line between art and reality is being blurred far too much these days.
    Why? Because a bunch of hooligans quoted a Hollywood movie in some vague threat they made over social media? Because that has never happened ever. Never. This is the first time ever that some punk kid made reference to a Hollywood movie.

The line has been blurred now. Cancel all art. Roger that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post

Only time will tell.
    Stupid people are stupid. Simple as that.

(not referring to you, but the people making those threats)
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Deleted
    The concept is something I liked but after hearing it was basically just a home invasion thing I skipped it, the sequel looks promising though.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    The movie was crap, (like anything with micheal bay). It would have been better as a satire but the fact that it treated itself seriously, as if it was trying to warn us that we shouldn't come up with a rule like the purge, makes the movie all the more retarded.

Edit: ofc its Florida
    Last edited by Friendlyimmolation; 2014-08-14 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    You're not missing much, I think there's a sequel maybe coming or already out, I watched the first one and it was just the usual like, glorification of violence dolled up as "this is an interesting concept for which there are valid arguments on both sides!"
    seen them both.
    first one is crap and "the purge" is just an excuse to silence the "why don't they just call the cop?" criticism.

second one is practically a Punisher film, Leo Barnes the protagonist wears all black and has a van loaded to the brim with munitions.
    and lets be honest, to Frank the purge would practically be a holiday.

Deleted
    I honestly would welcome this type of thing, I believe that it seriously has merits.

I feel it is a natural progression of society, along with culling population if needed

Such an idiotic movie, but what can you expect from anything touched by Michael Bay. Its the kind of movie that attempts to fool people into thinking its smarter then it is, but the people that made it arent smart enough to know what a smart movie is. Everytime the movie even attempts to explain why it works, the only answer it comes up with is, BECAUSE IT WORKS! Its trying to make a commentary about violence, except its not. Its trying to make commentary about order, except its not. Its trying to talk about human nature, except its not. Its pretty much Michael Bay in a nutshell hes trying to do something, while doing nothing at the same time. The movie is just a big empty air balloon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    I haven't seen this movie. Does it glorify vigilante justice? Or is it just a bunch of regular people murdering innocent people?
    The first one at least is just a bunch of regular people murdering innocent people because they so cray. It tries to start off with being like "oh is this a bad thing because the poor people are getting fucked because they can't afford the security but then the rich people are safe behind their locked gates" but then some rich people get broken into by other rich people and they have to fight them off and it's like a cross between a home invasion horror movie and glorifying people murdering other human beings in their home in the name of self defense, while the viewer looks on and revels in the violence. It's gross as fuck. It's one of those things where you are meant to be like "fuck yeah!" when one of the bad guys gets gutted or something, it's really gross.

On the topic of violence and stuff, they were talking about game of thrones on the HAWP podcast and about glorification of violence, and how like, it's pretty rare for a show to be like game of thrones these days in that regard. While GoT has a ton of problematic things in it like violence against women etc etc, it's approach to violence in general is generally pretty okay in the sense that it's never like a "FUCK YEAH" moment. It's never glorified really, and like, even when like someone awful that you are meant to HATE dies, you arn't meant to be like "fuck yeah!" you're like, oh, okay, yeah he's a bad guy but uh, I'm watching a human being choke to death and die in the arms of their mother, this is kind of awful.

The Purge is basically the opposite of that.

Deleted
    You do realise that is usually the point of making films, books, games, etc, to create something that isn't reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Such an idiotic movie, but what can you expect from anything touched by Michael Bay. Its the kind of movie that attempts to fool people into thinking its smarter then it is, but the people that made it arent smart enough to know what a smart movie is. Everytime the movie even attempts to explain why it works, the only answer it comes up with is, BECAUSE IT WORKS! Its trying to make a commentary about violence, except its not. Its trying to make commentary about order, except its not. Its trying to talk about human nature, except its not. Its pretty much Michael Bay in a nutshell hes trying to do something, while doing nothing at the same time. The movie is just a big empty air balloon.
    You have to accept that it works in their world, and that you do not need to overanalyse everything in a movie. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by lazerhawk View Post
    You do realise that is usually the point of making films, books, games, etc, to create something that isn't reality.

- - - Updated - - -

You have to accept that it works in their world, and that you do not need to overanalyse everything in a movie. Lol.
    Then why even attempt to explain it? Like i said its pure Michael Bay, waste its time explain things for half a movie. Only to say, BECAUSE IT WORKS ALRIGHT!

this made me lol

do i think it could be useful? possibly but far too much harm would be done to outweigh any good that can come from it.

those that are believing these posts are the kind of people that would be "purged" and the world would likely be a better/smarter place.
    Last edited by Avada Kedavra; 2014-08-14 at 04:03 PM.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking