10+ Year Old Account

YOLO, amazeballs, clickbait, douchebaggery and more are now in the dictionary

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/p...m-august-2014/

It is as if a thousand prescriptivists suddenly cried out in terror.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

and my word sadly "Functubation" is still not.

Functubation - Funk-tu-bation, shortened Functubatin'. Verb. Pulling your pud whilst also performing a task. Portmanteau of Function and Batin'.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Soooooo, they are basically killing the dictionary slowly. When YOLO gets put in the official dictionary you know something is wrong.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    Soooooo, they are basically killing the dictionary slowly. When YOLO gets put in the official dictionary you know something is wrong.
    It's not in their 'official' dictionary.

"What’s the difference between OxfordDictionaries.com and the Oxford English Dictionary (OED)?

The new entries mentioned above have been added to OxfordDictionaries.com, not the OED.

The English language dictionary content on OxfordDictionaries.com focuses on current English and includes modern meanings of words and associated usage examples.

The OED, on the other hand, is a historical dictionary and forms a record of all the core words and meanings in English over more than 1,000 years, from Old English to the present day, including many obsolete and historical terms."

10+ Year Old Account
    Dictionaries are descriptive, not proscriptive. They do not define what is or is not a word, they codify the collective use of language. If people use a word differently, that new definition becomes the dictionary definition. If people use a new word, it gets included. That's how dictionaries work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Phoneface - fone-face; The act of walking while looking down at your phone. Used in a sentence; She phonefaced right into that poll; She got hit by the bus while phonefacing.
    The word for that is "dumbwalking".

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters