Is askmrrobot broken?

For a while now it's been telling me to gem my elemental shaman for expertise... How does that even make any sense at all?

Expertise=hit for casters, been like that since the launch of MoP

10+ Year Old Account
    When I last played several months ago, it was apparently a 'thing' to gem some expertise for casters. Not only was AMR doing it, but other sites were as well. I never understood why. But at any given time, I could inspect any number of geared casters in Stormwind, and sure enough, there would be one or two expertise gems and/or reforges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I'm hit capped though so why gem expertise?

I'm from AskMrRobot. The reason you might want to gem EXP even when capped, is that it opens up other possibilities like reforges. So you might be able to reforge hit into something better, or your worst secondary stat into your best one (instead of hit).

If you see the 'guaranteed optimal' message in the stats section, that means you have the single best solution, according to the given stat weights
    Ask Mr. Robot Human Minion

Quote Originally Posted by darknessxpersists View Post
    I'm hit capped though so why gem expertise?
    To further clarify what Zoopercat says, AMR has set the 2ndary stats to more than half the value of intellect, by default. This means it will favour pure secondary gems along with expertise+2ndary stat gemming rather than int+2ndary gems. If you don't want this, then you can just raise the value on Intellect on the stat sheet.

You should just stick with the default weights though if you don't know enough to play with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoopercat View Post
    I'm from AskMrRobot. The reason you might want to gem EXP even when capped, is that it opens up other possibilities like reforges. So you might be able to reforge hit into something better, or your worst secondary stat into your best one (instead of hit).

If you see the 'guaranteed optimal' message in the stats section, that means you have the single best solution, according to the given stat weights
    I guess it's worth a shit but it's also asking me to sacrifice 1102 spell power

Edit: Lmao "Worth a shit" sorry xD worth a shot**
    Last edited by Khailik; 2014-08-14 at 09:57 PM.

And what are you gaining in return?

AMR is not a simulation tool. It uses the values YOU ENTER in order to make YOUR CHARACTER optimal. If you haven't done the research into the stat weights etc, going with the default weights is good enough for 95% of people at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

In exchange for what?
    Does your Int, Mastery and/or Haste go up?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    AMR is not a simulation tool. It uses the values YOU ENTER in order to make YOUR CHARACTER optimal. If you haven't done the research into the stat weights etc, going with the default weights is good enough for 95% of people at least.
    Precisely.
    AMR is just a tool, so you need to know how to use it for optimum results. The default weights aren't bad for Shaman but aren't perfect either, so adjusting those can make a big difference. Ultimately you have to rely on your best judgement, however, to make a good call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Meh, let's just buff chain heal and healing rain then go have some lunch."

"Okey dokey!"

For a while now it's been telling me to gem my elemental shaman for expertise... How does that even make any sense at all?
    In addition to what everyone else has already mentioned, keep in mind the socket bonuses. It might just be that a gem with expertise (red) is more ideal, to match a socket bonus, than a gem with hit (blue). And, AMR may mix and match them (based on the stat weights you selected), to hit that ideal spot.