Thread: Vacation

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Vacation

Hey, My first job ever and wondering how vacation times work

If i normally have 2 days off /week, does 14 day vacation mean 3weeks? Or does the normal days off count as vacation days aswell? Making it only 2weeks?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Hey,
    So how does it work? My first job ever
    If i normally have 2 days off /week, does 14 day vacation mean 3weeks? Or does the normal days off count as vacation days aswell? Making it only 2weeks?
    14 vacation days refers to working days at most companies, so nearly 3 weeks, yes.

But you should ask your HR department, because who knows what may be different at your company.

As an aside, 14 days/year is awesome for a first job, at least in the US. I had to work at my company 5 years before they gave me 15 days/year. Before that I had 10.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Days worked. Might be different if you're on shifts or something, or however your employer handles it. If it's a monday-friday thing on a set schedule, it would be 5 days per week for vacation time. Unless your employer is a nutball.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    first day eh? Already wondering about getting time of lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    first day eh? Already wondering about getting time of lol
    Been there for awhile now like atleast a year

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Been there for like 2years now and around 6-8 months as "praktikant" (dono english word for it)
    Intern probably the closest thing, though Interns usually don't get paid or benefits. Or a student on a practicum, kind of thing. The literal translation is Trainee. But being a trainee for 2 years sounds fucky.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Intern probably the closest thing, though Interns usually don't get paid or benefits. Or a student on a practicum, kind of thing. The literal translation is Trainee. But being a trainee for 2 years sounds fucky.
    Interns usually do get paid, actually. I don't think they often get benefits, though, as they're usually hourly employees.

14 vacation days mean 14 days you can take vacation on the days you would normally work.

I don't know if you're counting sun/sat as your days off, or it's 2 days off during the normal work week of mon-fri. If it's 2 days off from mon-fri, then you work 3 days a week, which means you could use 3 days of vacation and be off the entire week.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Been employeed for 2 years and the intern before that

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Interns usually do get paid, actually. I don't think they often get benefits, though, as they're usually hourly employees.
    Those are what we call temps

Like others have said, it's 5 days for a week.. 5 days vacation plus your normal 2 days off.. Which would mean you have 2 weeks and 4 days. or 112 hours.

This is how it NORMALLY works. But check with your company to be sure that by 14 days they don't just mean 2 weeks (inclusive of your normal 2 days off). It really depends on how they do their payroll.

Deleted
    14 vacation days refers to working days at most companies, so nearly 3 weeks, yes.

But you should ask your HR department, because who knows what may be different at your company.

As an aside, 14 days/year is awesome for a first job, at least in the US. I had to work at my company 5 years before they gave me 15 days/year. Before that I had 10.
    Wait, what? 10 days a year holiday? That is awful! In the UK the minimum is 28 days for full time work...

I have 24, wanted too save all for WoD but fk can't wait 3 more months.. So wanna take 14 now and 10 later

I think it varies, I know plenty of people who have done internships, usually at offices and so on and they didn't get paid jack. But they needed it as part of their curriculum. They get paid in the work experience. Which I guess can help at the end or turn into a full time job when they graduate. Personally it's all a scam lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiyo View Post
    Wait, what? 10 days a year holiday? That is awful! In the UK the minimum is 28 days for full time work...
    Generally it's only like 20 or whatever cause bank holidays get knocked off it or so, though

But anyway all, thx for fast replies
    I'm going too bed

Yea, would be nice.. In US the norm starting vaca times is 10 days.. I'm happy I have 10 days vaca and 10 days PTO (days I can use as vaca or sick days) and I never take sick days, so it's like 20 days vaca...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Generally it's only like 20 or whatever cause bank holidays get knocked off it or so, though
    Oh didn't know that. So then I would be about the same.

I think 14 is the average in the US. Pretty bad, but the average worker here is usually not treated very well.

I get 15 a year not including stat holidays, which isn't too bad, not been here that long. I think I get another 5 next year added on. Gives me a chance to go somewhere for a couple weeks, then I can shotgun the rest over xmas and get like 2 weeks off there too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to America. 10 days a year for a new hire, full time, is pretty normal here. It would take 15 years working at my company to get up to 25 days a year in vacation, if they gave it at all.