Thread: WoW "2"

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It would just eat WoW-s subs. And it will be stupid. They're updating engine & game and why it would require WoW 2 I don't understand. It's just HUGE world to transfer. If there will not be Transfers of achievment/pet/mount & time which people invested it will be just stupid shiny new game.

10+ Year Old Account
    New graphics, new engine, maybe even *gasp* PLAYER CHOICE?!

All things I would like to see from a second WoW.

The core of WoW is pretty dated. I'm sure Blizzard would run WoW1 and WoW2 alongside one another just like Square-Enix still keeps FFXI fresh despite XIV.

A new engine would be amazing.

Remember that the reason you are not allowed to replace the traveler's bag is because the code is too old and they're too afraid to change it without breaking the game.

The graphics are good but they can be so much more efficient. Because WoW's engine is a decade old, it is highly inefficient with graphics, it could be so much more.

Starting from scratch with using the lessons they know now- as the top MMO. They can make something new that would be the greatest MMO since WoW itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    EQ2 is exactly the reason why your theory is ridiculed. It was a failure, and so is GW2 and Lineage 2. None of those managed to gain the popularity of the original game. The track record of MMORPG sequels so far is a disaster.

Or maybe Blizzard just intends to keep pumping out expansions like Everquest does. EQ's 20th expansion came out last year, what makes you think Blizzard doesn't aim for 20 or 30 or even more expansions down the line?

And what would a sequel fix that can't be done in expansions (except third faction)? People are mostly whining about graphical upgrade and that's what they're getting in WoD. It would still be the same cartoony art style like all other Blizzard games.

Releasing something that has been proven to fail (MMORPG sequel) makes absolultely no business sense. Blizzard might be the only company that can pull it off since they already once totally changed the MMORPG scene decade ago, but even they are probably too afraid it'd only be a gigantic waste of money.

There's a good reason Titan was totally new IP to avoid the clusterfuck of sequels. The reason why it was ditched was most likely F2P boom. They realized subscription games are dying and they needed to make it F2P or B2P from the beginning.
    Just this.

Article with a blue post

I really hope they will do it some day, but if they do it, they won't do it sooner than 5 years, at least.

The idea is basically the same game, but with way better graphics, new features, new NPCs/Items etc etc. It would be cool, because the skeleton would be the same, but the rest would be new.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    But that doesn't sound like something that would require an entirely new game though, but of course that is just my personal opinion. As I see it, these things could just as well be upgrades to the current game through patches and expansions, much like what we have seen already in the game's evolution from its release until today.

I think something more would be required in order to rationalise the end of WoW in favour of WoW II :-)
    http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/09/10/do...f-warcraft-ii/
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2014-08-16 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Clarify what part of the Blizzard quote was actually from Blizzard [CM Vaneras]

Deleted
    I would want a World of Warcraft that took place before or during the first Warcraft game. Which means all our current characters would be irelevant, which feels like a requirement for it to be a new game

I actually don't think WoW 2 could ever work.

WoW, hell, MMO's are past due, the audience has massively shrunk and is on target to continually shrink year over year, and the cost of MMO's vs the profits, is a very, very risky investment.

By the time WoW 2 would be ready to be released, WoW's subs and the MMO market as a whole would of shrunk to the point that it wouldn't be sustainable and would be akin to literally burning money.

In a few years Blizzard will be making FAR more profit from Hearthstone and HoTS than WoW, alongside the fact that because of those profits, they will continue to expand than f2p area, and in turn, expand the profits from that even more. This is Blizzards new major focus for the next few decades.

WoW 2 as an MMO, won't happen, it's too late now, several years ago it could of been a real possibility. Something to do with Warcraft in the future is certainly possible, but I highly, highly doubt another MMO.

Blizzard take a ridiculous time to make games, they couldn't create WoW 2 fast enough with the pace of market changes, it's as simple as that, they could never do it, not to the success Blizzard expects.
    Last edited by Toiran; 2014-08-16 at 05:54 PM.

When people post that WoW is dying on these forums my first thought is 'what makes you think they won't release WoW2?'. There was a Warcraft 1, 2 and 3. Was WoW1 a flop?

Full Oculus Rift support and a 1,000 players on screen at once. Not sure what else a WoW2 would have.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I know this is a little.. cliche.. but the only successor I see to WoW would be a WoW sequel, with an updated engine of course

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks188 View Post
    Thoughts? Tom Chilton as always talk too much...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    First of all having two competing products out at the same time would just eat into profits of both which means there will never be WoW2 until WoW is officially dead and last server turned off.
    EQ, EQ 2 and EQN say hello.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by merli View Post
    A wow 2 would still use an updated wow engine. Or is there a company who made a new engine from scratch in the last few years?
    Several, WildStar made their own engine for example.

- - - Updated - - -

I would love a wow 2, preferably with a new engine that allowed for: a lot more freedom for the developers to express creativity in making interesting in-game mechanics and quests. A more interactive and dynamic world.

I would also like them to ditch the gear/raid treadmill for endgame. Instead focusing on open world, player generated content. PvP and PvE mixed in an ever changing and challenging world. It would have to be very progressive.

Deleted
    I'm all for it, if that means they're making a brand new engine for it.

Deleted
    How many more "wow 2" thread do we need is the more important question then wow 2 itself. (btw the later will NEVER happen)

Quote Originally Posted by Kazim View Post
    EQ, EQ 2 and EQN say hello.
    EQ2 was epic failure. It never got anywhere even close to the popularity of EQ1 and what happened is exactly what you quoted from me: both games are eating into each others' profits. Same happened with Lineage and Guild Wars.

As long as my shit transferred or something, it would just be like buying a new expansion, except I'd get to delete the Old WoW off my computer and install the new one instead. So yea, I'm game.

Thoughts?
    Thoughts about what? That Blizzard had it in mind for years? Surprise!

Bloodsail Admiral Transmigration's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would love this. I would love to play the WoW universe with next gen systems. Kind of like FFXI and FFXIV:ARR. I liked both MMOs a lot, even though they're very similar from an art perspective. WoW 2 could take place way in the future or deep in the past or something. The possibilities are endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazim View Post
    Several, WildStar made their own engine for example.
    Thanks for the example. But an existing company which already has an engine, wouldn't normally start from scratch I assume? I just think there would be several major code pieces they could reuse and just change the things they would need to be new.
    I don't know much about big game engines but I think they never started from scratch for engines like Unreal Engine after they had the first one?

The day of the MMO is coming to an end I fear.

Kids now don't want to spend weeks and months leveling and gearing up to play the proper game.

They want their end game content and they want it now!!!!

Blizzard have tried to cater for this as much as possible, by reducing leveling to a short sprint, selling level 90s, and adding things like LFR and LFD. But an MMORPG is naturally always going to have a time commitment almost by definition.

Gaming is moving towards bitesized, throwaway content, and games like LoL grow and grow where players can jump in and jump out.

Sure there'll always be a few who play MMORPGs, but I think the audience is going to keep getting older and older, and smaller and smaller. I don't see anywhere near as many 12-16 year olds in MMOs anymore

15+ Year Old Account
    It would be a huge success if they got the balls to create the first MMO that required a decent computer and had real HD graphics. TESO would have been great if it had skyrim's graphics. They didn't do it because it would be too resource intense for the average user with an ancient computer. All MMOs have at most decent graphics.

Wow 2 better have Witcher 3 quality.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!