Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
  1. #201
    The Lightbringer Ermahgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,968
    Yes. WoWs quality is just so big and they've had so many years and so much content to build upon. That and the movement in WoW is the best I've ever seen and played. Movement and animations are extremely important to me, which WoW succeeds at greatly.

    Besides that, because I've played WoW for a relative long period (for me at least) everything has become repetitive. Thus, when I try playing a new MMO, heck even a singleplayer game, I can't stay focused because of how bored I get.

  2. #202
    WoW ruined other MMO's for me in the sense that I've put so much time and effort into it, and it's a game where there can always be progress to be made, that any time spent on another game feels wasted.

    Sure I could play a different MMO in a different universe totally different from WoW's, but I know that in the end, no MMO has the playerbase and the staying power that WoW does to even BOTHER with the time investment.

    WoW is too big for the genre's own good. No MMO released will ever have the sheer amount of content WoW has because it has so many years under its belt, there is so much content and so much to do, with so many players, that no MMO will have the polish and scope as WoW.
    Last edited by The Ogdru Jahad; 2014-08-18 at 12:40 AM.

  3. #203
    yup lol, leave my expectations for other mmos mega high when I play them and i just get disappointed
    "With great power comes great responsibility." - Spiderman

  4. #204
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    WoW ruined other MMO's for me in the sense that I've put so much time and effort into it, and it's a game where there can always be progress to be made, that any time spent on another game feels wasted.
    My advice, just as I look at this sort of argument. Not that I expect anyone to follow it but I can say it regardless. The sooner you stop stacking "so much time and effort into it", the better. Because the moment when you will stop, will most likely come anyway. And the longer you linger to that addiction, the harder it will get later to cut it loose and more regrets will await as "missed opportunities" keep stacking up. As long as you play a game and you feel that you are having fun from pure act of it, it's all fine. But as soon as you start to suspect that you play only because you don't want to "waste all that effort", it is time cut it right there with a heavy sharpened axe.

  5. #205
    Quote Originally Posted by Awe View Post
    My advice, just as I look at this sort of argument. Not that I expect anyone to follow it but I can say it regardless. The sooner you stop stacking "so much time and effort into it", the better. Because the moment when you will stop, will most likely come anyway. And the longer you linger to that addiction, the harder it will get later to cut it loose and more regrets will await as "missed opportunities" keep stacking up. As long as you play a game and you feel that you are having fun from pure act of it, it's all fine. But as soon as you start to suspect that you play only because you don't want to "waste all that effort", it is time cut it right there with a heavy sharpened axe.

    I totally agree, I've actually been unsubbed for over a year, I resubbed maybe 2 weeks ago though to kill some time as summer dies down before college starts up again. And once it does, I won't be touching WoW again for a very very long time. I like to keep up to date though, see the changes in the game, follow the story etc, but I no longer put any serious time and effort into the game.

    It's wise though to keep this in mind for those still playing, the game won't be forever, ween yourself off so when the time does come to put WoW down, you don't feel wholly silly for putting so much time in it.

  6. #206
    no, wow hasn't ruined mmos for me

    mmos in general have ruined them for me. I find mmos to be terrible games, all of them.

  7. #207
    My biggest issue with most MMOs is responsiveness. When I push a button in WoW, it reacts immediately how I wanted to. THAT IS ALL I NEED FROM THE GAME gameplay wise. give me that level of responsiveness with Teras graphics and you could charge me a 40$ a month sub and i would happily throw my wallet at you. However it seems responsiveness is bottom of the list for most mmo releases.

  8. #208
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    I want to reply but I realized its a waste of time, considering you're the guy who never shuts up about guild wars 2 zones being instanced and you are the only one I see on these forums that never shut up about it.

    And now you're using twitch or follower or streamer arguments <_<... Ughh.
    Nothing he said in that post was really off base.

    First impressions are not a new concept.

  9. #209
    Quote Originally Posted by Asthreon View Post
    I play pretty much every MMO in Beta and a lot on release, only MMO's that have ever held my interest past first month of Sub is SWTOR, RIFT and FFXIV.
    All others are horrible in regards to my personal feeling towards MMO's.
    I'm similar. I sub off and on to SWTOR and Rift, and I beta others. The most recent crop have been fairly bad (Elder Scrolls, Wildstar, ArcheAge), as much as I'm really liking ArcheAge this weekend, it being a 100% P2W game makes it's bright points a downer.

    Wow is no better than SWTOR or Rift. Same grind, same dungeons and raids. Something like SWTOR has a better universe (subjective) and it has equal lore value. Rift, i love love love Rift, but.... as I've said a few times, I can only name two NPCs.

    I've always seen WoW as a master thief. They haven't done anything for themselves, but jack things from other games and add them. Which is very, very smart. And as others have said, this is home for a lot of people. The volume and record of events.

    I lost 300-400K kills from SWTOR and Rift due to server merges etc. Wow's server merge was masked as this linked servers thing, which is just fancy talk for server merging, because they see people like me bitch about having to rename toons, losing status etc in other games when they have to merge.

    In this day and age, a new game has to be 100% on top of its game IN BETA, not launch, IN BETA, or else it will not hold people and start off with a strong base at launch. That's the sad truth of it all.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

  10. #210
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    214
    Everquest ruined it for me. Before that game, I was happy spending my time playing TFC/CS and the Warcraft series. Then I paid for a subscription to EQ, and all of a sudden I'm doing 12 hour Plane of Fear raids that sucked the life out of me, along with every expansion that followed. Then WoW came and did the same. Oh yeah, DAoC did the same as well. Damn them!

  11. #211
    Pandaren Monk MaxJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    1,781
    Not really, im not a fan of the mmo genre to begin with, i only started playing wow because of the lore and warcraft 3, but im not going to ever play any other mmo.

  12. #212
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    I totally agree, I've actually been unsubbed for over a year, I resubbed maybe 2 weeks ago though to kill some time as summer dies down before college starts up again. And once it does, I won't be touching WoW again for a very very long time. I like to keep up to date though, see the changes in the game, follow the story etc, but I no longer put any serious time and effort into the game.

    It's wise though to keep this in mind for those still playing, the game won't be forever, ween yourself off so when the time does come to put WoW down, you don't feel wholly silly for putting so much time in it.
    You will see that other games don't give the solace you are searching for. WoW is more than a video game. Like some exclusive board games pass that invisible line of gaming as a preferred passing of time.

    I had a full life of gaming and if I were to die today I would remember only a handful of epic games. The rest of my 500 board(war)games on my attic were just that: passings of time, not really memorable., not even close actually.

    I regret now having copied endless tapes, disks back in the 80's and 90's to get access to the latest hyped games. We copied everything we could get our hands on. What a waste of time.

    These days are better since people are far more critical and good games tend to last much longer than 7 hours or 7 days.

    It is better to invest long term play in one game than jump every 10 hours to another short lived experience.

    WoW spoiled all other games since 2006. Apart from the first 8 months in D3, I can't think of any other game worth playing like 500 days as in WoW.

    You are right to warn people to play too hardcore in WoW, but frankly you'll soon realise that you will lack the motivation to play anything in the long run too.

    It is not good to be addicted, but it is not good to be bored with other games or another non fulfilling hobby either.

    Perhaps I am too old to change, but 40 years of gaming says nothing came even close to the long term fun I had/have with playing WoW.

    I'll limit myself to 3 epic activities as a hobby: my race history as a young cyclist, me playing the War in the East board wargame for 3 months at 6 hours a day in 1979 ... and playing WoW for 8 years now.

    So with thousands of other games tried and played, I think it is better to stick with one main game to play. Much more satisfying in the long run. You may dab a little in other games, but going for the long haul is always more fulfilling.

    Perhaps there will be another game to come forward, but I doubt it will be equally played by me. In any case WoW will out live my biological time on earth anyway.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-08-18 at 01:09 PM.

  13. #213
    Not really, WoW is just where all my friends are. I played swtor on and off for 2 years but the game itself wasn't that great. I still play ffxiv too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •