Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    I don't see how anyone can claim to be fiscally conservative while throwing taxpayer money at a problem that cannot be fixed, without building a thousand mile long wall.
    http://youtu.be/pjXd9yQmWJ0?t=4m20s

Quote Originally Posted by Shocktroop View Post
    Like they could do anything about it.

I say death for anyone crossing illegally in either direction. We must do what is necessary to protect ourselves from the violence, disease, and drugs that are trying to come here. We have enough of that shit already.
    Well, I wouldn't say death, but long prison time and a few cases made known to the public should do the tricks. And I agree, it's really a question of hygene at this point - keeping this people out is the most sensible thing to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Therionn View Post
    How about Mexico can fuck off. We can do whatever we want on our borders.
    In WWII France didn't secure a part of their border because Belgium said no. And what happened? The Germans invaded through that hole! WE MUST NOT KEEP A HOLE IN OUR BORDER!

We should probably build an Atlantic wall too . . . and send troops to secure Canada.
    Putin khuliyo

I love all the people acting like Mexico's situation has nothing to do with the US. I mean where do you think the cartels get their money from?

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    It didn't work for China either.

But really the only way to stop it is to make the economic conditions where they're from as good as those here, or at least sufficiently OK that they stop feeling the need to uproot their entire lives and deal with the risks that go along with illegal border running.
    Globalization in Latin Americia has been doing exactly that (not trying to suggest it's done enough yet)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Rick Perry. What a laugh.
    "Fiscally conservative," spending millions of dollars getting elected, convincing people you won't spend their money, then spend it on useless crap that doesn't work.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    That would involve spending trillion of dollars.
    which the majority has no interest in doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    In WWII France didn't secure a part of their border because Belgium said no. And what happened? The Germans invaded through that hole! WE MUST NOT KEEP A HOLE IN OUR BORDER!

We should probably build an Atlantic wall too . . . and send troops to secure Canada.
    And then taking inspiration from 1984 you can call yourselves Airstrip One, a sort of homage to Air Force One as well. No need to go outside so no need for planes.

I've solved American politics.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only reason cartels exist in Mexico is because the U.S is a coke hungry beast. It spawned purely by demand.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    "Fiscally conservative," spending millions of dollars getting elected, convincing people you won't spend their money, then spend it on useless crap that doesn't work.
    Sounds like Obama.

*cough* Solyndra *cough*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TZK203 View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/mexico-protest...094615377.html

Particularly the most infuriating part of the entire article:

Look, we can all say what Rick Perry did was questionable in its effectiveness (since US troops cannot enforce laws), but for Mexico to say this when they knowingly allow smuggling operations to happen within their country is disturbing.

Illegal immigration isn't a new problem, and Mexico had 30+ years to deal with it. But yeah, corruption and money go hand-in-hand.
    If mexico doesn't like the US securing our side of the border, they should secure theirs, but that will never happen because drug money controls Mexico, not the government. Also, National Guard troops, when called out by the Governor of their state can in fact enforce laws, it is only when Federalized they become members of the US Armed Forces (confusing at times).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Also probably rather illegal.
    Actually, it would be completely legal for the US to mine its entire southern border, we are not a party to the Ottawa Treaty.

Sounds like Obama.

*cough* Solyndra *cough*
    Solyndra? Are we talking about that still? The DOE Loan Guarantee program started in 2005, under the Bush administration to "support innovative clean energy technologies that are typically unable to obtain conventional private financing due to high technology risks." So the risk was always there....that is why the program was created. The program had a budget of over $16 billion and planned for a default rate of 12.85%. The loss of Solyndra was $529 million. That is 3.3 percent of the budget. The overall default rate of the program was 3.6%. The overall program was a success.

- - - Updated - - -

http://news.yahoo.com/mexico-protest...094615377.html

Particularly the most infuriating part of the entire article:

Look, we can all say what Rick Perry did was questionable in its effectiveness (since US troops cannot enforce laws), but for Mexico to say this when they knowingly allow smuggling operations to happen within their country is disturbing.

Illegal immigration isn't a new problem, and Mexico had 30+ years to deal with it. But yeah, corruption and money go hand-in-hand.
    Overall the policy falls within the realm of the Monroe Doctrine which has been a cornerstone of American foreign policy since 1850. The problem now though is that the US is a declining hegemon so our polices are being challenged more often. Mexico is exercising their sovereign right to challenge a policy which, in other parts of the world, would be deemed a threat to national security (troop buildup on a border). Neither side is actually right or wrong in this matter, but American Exceptionalism makes it seem like we're right and Mexico is just stupid.

Why don't they just shoot the adults as they come across. That would stop it all pretty quickly. I could not give a shit about what Mexico or Mexicans think when they allow their country to be run into the ground by corruption. They (illegal immigrants) are criminals and should be put down like rabid dogs.

Fairly sure cartels own politicians in Mexico and say w/e they want them to say.
    Last edited by badzerath; 2014-08-16 at 08:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mexico can stick it where the sun don't shine. If they actually bothered to get their country under control and deal with their own socio-economic problems illegal immigration wouldn't be an issue!
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Mexico can stick it where the sun don't shine. If they actually bothered to get their country under control and deal with their own socio-economic problems illegal immigration wouldn't be an issue!
    Some of it can be attributed to government ineptitude, yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Some of it can be attributed to government ineptitude, yes.
    There are a lot of problems with Mexico. Many of them are governmental. Many of them are social. You can't have good government with a society that doesn't give a damn, and by and large Mexicans don't. The problem is common throughout many parts of Latin America, people simply don't have the will to press for change, they would rather keep their head down and when that is not longer possible they move on to a new area and repeat the process.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Sure is easy to just tell them to fix their issues when they're being outspent by organizations that we're funding because we'd rather play morality police than actually do anything meaningful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Actually, it would be completely legal for the US to mine its entire southern border, we are not a party to the Ottawa Treaty.
    Ouch, well thank god that wouldn't be something that they could get away with. I hope. I get that some people have some very... strong ideas as to border control but making the place a literal death trap would be a step far.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Also probably rather illegal.
    Why would it be illegal? It's our territory not theirs. Guantanamo is surrounded by landmines to keep Cubans away from the base wall which is US territory. How is this any different?

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post

Although not bound by treaty, the US started eliminating persistent landmines from our arsenal in 2004. Now we pretty much only have self-deactivating/destroying landmines. So it would be rather difficult to keep mines on the border.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celawien View Post
    Why would it be illegal? It's our territory not theirs. Guantanamo is surrounded by landmines to keep Cubans away from the base wall which is US territory. How is this any different?
    Those landmines were put in place during the Cold War and would be rather costly to remove, especially since they were placed there by both Americans and Cubans.

EDIT: Actually we removed our landmines in the 90s. The Cubans have not.
    Last edited by SpcGuts; 2014-08-16 at 09:03 PM.