Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    IGN has put up a video of the dev playing 18 minutes of uninterrupted gameplay. Below is the direct link to the video because the IGN video player sucks ass...

http://assets3.ign.com/videos/zencod...35885151-w.mp4

EDIT - Here's the YouTube link now...

Last edited by carnifex2005; 2015-07-06 at 11:53 PM.

Oh that was an interesting video, thank you for linking! I cant wait to sit down and play that game, with no real goal outside of those I make for myself. I like structured games, but I do enjoy my sandbox gaming a lot too, and this looks amazing.

All of their worlds are starting to look way too similar to be a believable universe at this point. It feels like the only difference is colors a lot of the time.

I knew the game couldn't live up to it's original premise but it's beginning to look more and more meh every time I see it and they show a "new world" that look exactly like the previous one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    All of their worlds are starting to look way too similar to be a believable universe at this point. It feels like the only difference is colors a lot of the time.

I knew the game couldn't live up to it's original premise but it's beginning to look more and more meh every time I see it and they show a "new world" that look exactly like the previous one.
    Don't know who to blame for that, us or them! They have spent a lot of time making the worlds not dead and boring....but in doing so have they created another form of boring ?

Another nice read http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...khatchadourian
    Last edited by mmoc73340f41a2; 2015-07-07 at 02:54 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post

I've been saying this from the beginning. Procedural content does not necessarily equate interesting content. Look at Starbound. Wooooo 250 billion planets to explore. Sounds interesting, until you realize one planet has yellow monsters with 6 legs, and the other planet has blue monsters with four legs.
    I am not hyped at all for this game, although I do hope they prove me wrong.

A new video discussing the economy of NMS...

Deleted
    Let me guess, not available on the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Banomatic View Post
    Let me guess, not available on the PC.
    It's on both PC and PS4.
    "Oh, you know what? You could bitch about anything couldn't you?" - Leonard L. Church

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    I really like the modest approach of No Man's Sky devs, they say what will be avialable day one, and what are posibilites for future growth. Unlike Star Citizen, where they promise mountains of gold, add feature after feature (well actually they only add plans for new features) instead of making what they already suppose to do. All this "mind blowing" announcements and trailers, but only gameplay we've seen is some crappy looking dog fighting in space.
    Star Citizen will deliver what Chris Roberts is promising, bear in mind this is his dream game hes building and he will want it to be as good as possible before launch, also they are working entirely of donated money around 70 million dollars, so it will take time to develop all the aspects of the game, the fps module will be the next thing we can see, also these modules are alpha stages of the game and they look and handle good, this is only a very small part of what you can do with the final game.

While no mans sky looks interesting, Star Citizen will have a much more indepth gameplay aspect, due to the many different things that your able to do in game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yobtar View Post
    It's on both PC and PS4.
    Wow, amazing, I kinda got used to great looking games not being available on the pc.

Deleted
    Yes, it is large. Yes, it is innovative.

But procedurally generated worlds always have the problem to offer no unique content.

It will be always about "Find big creature 2071" and "collect stone xyz".. And a little bit about combat. And thats it literally.

The first game developer who finds an algorythm to generate a deep story and a large scale target to play a procedurally generated world should get the nobel prize.

If it was about a MMORPG, generic generated content would be called a grind.

- - - Updated - - -

I want to elaborate a little bit:

The game would be way more interesting if every 1 planet out of 100 wouldnt just have unconscious creatures, but a real civilization. Or even two which do war against each other. Or even more.

As like a civilization in preindustrial age, or even in their very first beginning, or as like in modern times or even way more powerful than your civilization is. And if they had villages and cities you could watch with procedurally generated inhabitants.

Based on the age of the civilization you would have directives to follow (yes, as like star trek, for example), where first contact wasnt allowed before space age. And where you need to cover like a preindustrial ant worker to find out more about that ant civilization on planet 1203.. And where you could do quests which tell a deeply generated story.

All that would technically be possible, and would give a game like this a lot of depths.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2015-07-08 at 09:00 PM.

I'm still interested in the game, just feel like it will be some 20 hour experience max that was cool but gets pretty boring after that point.

So a lot depends on the price point for me as to when I buy it. With it being an indy game $30 launch I will buy it day 1, $40 eh maybe, $60 not buying it until sale/price drop.

So much being hyped about how they are a small indy team but Sony has basically been bank rolling them and helping them out with this entire process to get the game off the ground. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they try for AAA $60 price tag at launch.

Depressed developer at E3 2015 sums up the Hype I have for this, Spore v2 here we go!

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking forward to this game, but I can see myself getting bored after 10 hours or so.

Thing I fear is that it will be like spore

Planets are earth sized, do I have any reason what so ever to explore the planets? Why should I? If its like spore, it just ends up with having same flora everywhere and same 3 creatures. I feel like this game would just become boring fast. Sure, its cool if they make every planet unique (Which I doubt, I mean, there is milions and bilions of different creatures and flora. Unless the flora and creatures are randomly generated I highly doubt it. I will still be happy if the flora is just recolored, still better than what spore managed to do. But again, I feel like there is no reason for me to explore planets if they got nothing to them.

Let me settle down. Have factions build bases there and wage wars on each other. Collect artifacts (That are incredibly powerful and worthwhile) that makes it worth exploring planets. Without NPC's as they stated, I dont think this game will be nearly as fun as it could be. Say 2 factions wants a material only found on one planet, they will both warp in their fleet and throw what they throw their ships at each other and begin to warp down soldiers. Say its a battle between The botanic (Just making this up on the fly; "Plant race that seeks to destroy anyone who abuse nature bla bla bla") and the Bloodsail Spacepirates: ("As long as it makes me money, I dont care.") You can side with one of the factions and join in as a soldier to crush the oppositions base. Doing so will earn you a bounty in say. If you helped the Bloodsail Spacepirates, you would earn a huge bounty in Botanic space.

I would also like to see unique twists on planet designs. A rainy and gray plannet with nothing else but rich cave systems. Its easy to get lost, but the caves has lots of rare minerals. Some of them lights up, so you should have a flash light with you. Filled with unique creatures with unique behavior that takes into account if their surroundings. It has lived underground so its obviously blind etc.

Underwater planets.

Planets covered in nothing but a refreshing jungle with constant rain. Poisnous insects that gives you sicknesses that only certain factions have antodite for. HOUSING IS A MUST!!! So relaxing to just peek out of my futuristic window, watching rain roll down it, and having a great weak of the jungle with all kinds of flying birds and creatures going around with their business. Civilizations is also a thing that could really carry the game. Drop back stories for these, they all have sub category, one agendo. Some are capitalistic assholes that only cares for money and exploit each other.

Some civilizations are agressive that both exands and mines aggressively
    Pacifists that refuse to fight unless provoked. Reputation system with these civilizations. Randomly generated items that only they sell. People can visit this planet (if discovered) to get this exact item. Say, a capitalistic civilization expands to another planet, and begins to pollute and mine the planet to its limit, the sentinels (Defenders of each planet, its seen in trailers) tries to defend but fails. You can join the sentinels and beat back the capitalists, then you gain favor with the Sentinels letting you summon them on need.

I dont expect cities to be big. Medium sized. More space stations outside the planets that attracts tourism. Maybe a couple of different city designs. Wouldnt be angry if some of them looked the same. And different jobs. Wants to transport cargo from one station to another? Do it and earn credits. Become a bounty hunter. Be paid to explore planets for a faction. Join pirates or create your own fleet and face other players in legendary battles.

Maybe Im asking too much of a game, but if they pull it off, they could create the best game of all time
    Last edited by Candy Cough; 2015-07-08 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    While graphics aren't everything...

Am I the only one actually turned off by the way this game looks visually?

Don't get me wrong, the premise sounds awesome, but man...the aesthetic they seem to be going for is a huge NO in my brain right now.
    Yeah, the visual aesthetic looks boring.

However I do like the idea of procedural generated content.

Are there any other games like this one can try? (Other than minecraft - that looks boring and is visually aweful even though it has a nice concept)

I am trying to search for some games; Terraria and Starbound come close to what I would be interested in albeit they are 2D; Any other 3D games like this, but with colorful visuals? Any lists would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ttak82 View Post
    Yeah, the visual aesthetic looks boring.

However I do like the idea of procedural generated content.

Are there any other games like this one can try? (Other than minecraft - that looks boring and is visually aweful even though it has a nice concept)

I am trying to search for some games; Terraria and Starbound come close to what I would be interested in albeit they are 2D; Any other 3D games like this, but with colorful visuals? Any lists would be appreciated.
    Not spore, Every planet is the same with a slight color variation. There are some hills but its only 1 hill model

Haven't they specifically said there will be planets that are inhospitable, toxic, radioactive, freezing, boiling, etc.? That you'll have to get gear to even explore them and such?

I mean, I know everybody wants to jump and tear into them for what's been seen so far, but still. Honestly, people are so eager to just... rip into things. Negative nancies. Does anybody even enjoy anything they do anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Haven't they specifically said there will be planets that are inhospitable, toxic, radioactive, freezing, boiling, etc.? That you'll have to get gear to even explore them and such?

I mean, I know everybody wants to jump and tear into them for what's been seen so far, but still. Honestly, people are so eager to just... rip into things. Negative nancies. Does anybody even enjoy anything they do anymore?
    Yes, thats what they said. Every videos they showed seems very early games, they said you start at the edge of the galaxy. Maybe you always get somewhere "safe" when you start.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Star Citizen will deliver what Chris Roberts is promising, bear in mind this is his dream game hes building and he will want it to be as good as possible before launch, also they are working entirely of donated money around 70 million dollars, so it will take time to develop all the aspects of the game, the fps module will be the next thing we can see, also these modules are alpha stages of the game and they look and handle good, this is only a very small part of what you can do with the final game.

While no mans sky looks interesting, Star Citizen will have a much more indepth gameplay aspect, due to the many different things that your able to do in game.
    His last dream only got published because it was bought out by its backer microsoft and thats after being delayed for 3 years in a row.