Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

Billions of worlds, creatures, plants, ships, and possibility. ...No Man's Sky

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the.../1100-6420890/

Just gob smacked amazed....no other words I can think of

Last edited by mmoc73340f41a2; 2014-08-16 at 06:14 PM.

Same here. Watching the trailer for the game was interesting and the world is beautiful.

Games with procedural generation have been made before. No Man's Sky certainly looks nice, but I am not super impressed by virtue of it's proposed "vastness".

It certainly looks cool, I'll give you that - but as Fencers stated; it doesn't seem to be that much different from the other procedural generated games that we already have.

Having a large game world doesn't mean a vast amount of gameplay and exploration. Minecraft's game world is 1/3rd the circumference of Earth, exploration gets boring within the hour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw the announcement for this at E3(?) and recently read it was gonna be on the PC also. Definitely something I would want to try.

Deleted
    If you dig deeper you'll find it's so much more than anything you have ever seen or played before, scouting the internet it seems I'm not the only one gob smacked.

Best Original Game
    Best Independent Game
    Special Commendation for Innovation

It all sounds like it’s a game of infinite possibilities, but Murray was quick too point out that it’s not quite infinite. As “some guy in the comments” is quick to perpetually point out, Murray says, nothing in computers is ever infinite – but No Man’s Sky comes close. The game, at one point, used a 32 bit integer as its universe seed, which would allow the game to generate up to 2,147,483,647 planets – which would take a single player about 5000 years to see any sort of repetition, if they discovered a new planet every second of every single day. As a bit of an “up yours” to that guy in the comments, they’re now using a 64 bit one, which would take the same player 4 to 5 billion years to see any form of repetition.

Not bad for a team that started with 4 and grew to the amazing size of 7 coming to your PC and PS4 in the near future
    Last edited by mmoc73340f41a2; 2014-08-16 at 07:45 PM. Reason: removed video (not needed)

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers
    Games with procedural generation have been made before. No Man's Sky certainly looks nice, but I am not super impressed by virtue of it's proposed "vastness".
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged
    Having a large game world doesn't mean a vast amount of gameplay and exploration. Minecraft's game world is 1/3rd the circumference of Earth, exploration gets boring within the hour.
    'Procedurally generated' only references how the game world is created. It does not reference what a player can do inside said world. Minecraft is a really poor example because the worlds generated aren't very diverse to begin with. There's only really one possible 'scheme' in Minecraft, and all worlds are created based upon that scheme. Unless you strip down your seed to only generate a certain type of geography, all worlds in Minecraft contain literally the same stuff. That's why exploration is boring - if you've seen one 20x20 area of Minecraft, you've seen them all. There's no surprises. You're not going to travel for an hour and all of a sudden find a new region that's never been seen before.

No Man's Sky is attempting to push the boundaries in several game genres. Not only is it an MMO, it's a survival type game where instead of having roughly the same experience as everyone else, your experience is wholly dependent on you and the world you find yourself in. It could be possible that you have a completely unique experience that no one else ever gets to have in their lifetime of playing.

On top of the exploration, you're given an opportunity to forge your own path instead of living out the life of a character 'on rails,' like the vast majority of games are these days. The thing that I'm most excited for is the fact that I won't just be able to look up everything I need to know on the internet (no one else will be able to either). If I want to know something, I have to play the game to discover it.

Now, the game could flop and all these grand designs could turn out to be another Minecraft on a slightly bigger scale. But I hope not.

hope there's some fun gameplay here besides it just being a prettier version of previous procedural games in the 'genre'.

While graphics aren't everything...

Am I the only one actually turned off by the way this game looks visually?

Don't get me wrong, the premise sounds awesome, but man...the aesthetic they seem to be going for is a huge NO in my brain right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    While graphics aren't everything...

Am I the only one actually turned off by the way this game looks visually?

Don't get me wrong, the premise sounds awesome, but man...the aesthetic they seem to be going for is a huge NO in my brain right now.
    Maybe. I really dig the look of the game, but I'm a fan of games that use broad color pallets (especially with bright/vibrant colors) since we have so many dull, washed out gray/brown AAA games.

Meh, these games are only good on paper and they all lack the same thing.

Time and money.

Unless its some engine that can be manipulated very easily to the point they can create massive things in a small amount of time of literally hours and as far as i know no such engine exists and the graphics on Unreal Engine 4/Cry Engine 3 then it doesnt even matter what game it is.

A game of this type in 2014 values would require to be something like 30 - 50GB without massive music/audio files to have the stuff and the gameplay they are promising.

There is a reason Minecraft is a pixelated game and the similar types are all in pixelated type engines.

Because an actual engine requires massive massive space and time which no developer has for any survival/sandbox/exploration/evolution type of game.

And its on a console xD

When nowadays most of their sales comes from the new ISSPRO or Fifa, or some similar sports game and the same old same old CoD, because the masses that play consoles only are known for their RPG and exploration love..
    Last edited by potis; 2014-08-17 at 01:43 AM.

At least with the PC version you can add mods to make it the game you want. And gotta love that music.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Maybe. I really dig the look of the game, but I'm a fan of games that use broad color pallets (especially with bright/vibrant colors) since we have so many dull, washed out gray/brown AAA games.
    Oh I can totally get on board with the more games not being like so many gray/brown AAA games before them. But I dunno, there is just something about the aesthetics of this game that my brain keeps saying "NO" to me :P.

10+ Year Old Account
    While the game looks great, and the procedural generation of entire worlds is incredibly exciting and groundbreaking.
    what is the point of this game (is there an end game to strive for)?
    To show it's possible?
    For exploration?
    Are there going to be quests?
    Will we level up?
    Is there PvP?
    Can we customize out ships?
    Are there FPS elements?
    Are there also massive procedural generated cities? Do those cities have NPCs to make it feel lively, and real?
    What incentive will I have to log on every day? Seeing a different iteration of a dinosaur can only get you so far.

I have so many more questions about this game, and I think it has so much potential, but so far I have seen nothing to make me want to play the game. Everything they have shown just makes it look like a glorified tech demo.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't another game already try this....

“Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    A game of this type in 2014 values would require to be something like 30 - 50GB without massive music/audio files to have the stuff and the gameplay they are promising.

There is a reason Minecraft is a pixelated game and the similar types are all in pixelated type engines.
    From what I understood in the video, the world themselves are not stored locally, only the resources like grass, ships, and animals (and as you mentioned, sound files). It is the algorithms within the game that actually generate the worlds on the spot depending on the player's location. It is possible that this kind of design would be more efficient in terms of storage usage but we'll see.

Deleted
    As with everything concerning video games (and all other products really), manage your expectations and do for the love of all, never ever listen to the buzz-words and essentially everything the developer tells you (they have tendency to over exaggerate).

But with all that pessimism out the way, I am looking forward to this and it does look quite interesting

10+ Year Old Account
    My only issue with procedural generation is that... well, it looks so procedural. It has an almost "soulless" look to it. And after you've played long enough, you start to be able to distinguish all the little "common strains" that run through the generated content. At which point, it starts to look... repetitive. It happened in Spore, and it happened in Minecraft... and those games actually let you create a large portion of the content, too.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.