Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    It is definitely a game that I'm waiting to try out.

However, with all due optimism and excitement, I am a bit worried about the "saturation" and "intensity" of its gameplay: it does not appear to be an MMO, which means that there's probably not going to be a centralized "megacluster" of servers with gazillions of players on it to populate the universe.
    And that means that the multiplayer is going to be pretty limited by the player's hardware (it's probably not going to be thousands of players in the same world).

This fact and the fact that the universe is "infinite" with billions of planets in it, may not really work well together. I mean really, if you're playing alone or with 10, 20 or even 100 of your friends, having 1,000,000 worlds to visit isn't going to be of much use: you're unlikely to see even a hundred, everyone will keep getting lost and separated, so in the end the multiplayer may turn into "several single-player games in one world".

And while the diversity of the procedurally generated materials looks great, it may not be sufficient for a rich single-player experience (i.e. what is going to drive you forward other than exploration?).
    It would be cool if they've managed to procedurally generate non-linear storylines to stimulate some sort of action on the planet, but I'm guessing that's not going to happen.

But all in all, hey, it's one game that looks like no other and the guys have put an immense amount of efforts into it.
    So their game definitely deserves a shot in my list.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    Is this a joke? Using any free game engine, you can throw together a ´huge universe´ in a matter of hours.. Go to Unity and search for ´infinite runner´.. then you do that, and just randomly change the color of the prefabs that are spawned in front of you.... and you have a ´game that is exceptional because of it´s sheer size´.

And that is besides the point that an infinite number of plantets with slightly different hex codes is not ´a game´.... and was done already by Spore anyway.

No game should be called ´exceptional´ that has never been played just based on size. Ok, this planet here this one is #3C38AC and uses the exact same plants as found on every other planet, but on this planet they are colored #53C299 So there you have it, 1 billion planets that are all unique!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you can procedural generate realistic looking plant models, creature models and AI, then you are just creating a whole lot of the same thing with slightly different colors.
    We get the point, you won't like the game, you don't like procedural etc etc. The fact you feel the need to constantly keep coming back to this thread just to shit on people that are saying they are going to enjoy just makes you seem pathetic though.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    We get the point, you won't like the game, you don't like procedural etc etc. The fact you feel the need to constantly keep coming back to this thread just to shit on people that are saying they are going to enjoy just makes you seem pathetic though.
    nah, it isn´t that...it was your comment about ´It's already being hailed as an exceptional game due to it's sheer size.´

please scale back your marketing until the game has actually been played by someone. Can I rephrase for you ´so far it is a neat concept that didn´t work so well in spore, but people seem to have forgetten that´. ´People are impressed that a computer program can create a billion planets that all look basically the same

Games are engaging and fun and have actual gameplay. we have seen none of that yet. Just a program that spits out planets

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    I don't think this game will be wildly successful financially or hailed as an exceptional game in any way.

What it will be is a pioneer for other games that'll build on this formula.
    This game seems entirely formulaic to me so far. (even if it delivers on its promises)

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just (hopefully) an inevitable improvement on what's come before.

One of the biggest hypesuckers in the industry is showing the backdrops and explaining "how stuff works", instead of focusing on the EXPERIENCE and showing WHY its so fun.

Cuz they could make pong with procedurally generated paddles, backdrops, and player faces.... and it'd still just be pong.

Even the procedural games that promise "goals and missions" usually fall apart after the tutorial. So far I've seen little to ease my doubts that this is just a rehash of Starbound... 'except in glorious 3d with smell-o-vision!'.

Deleted
    'No Man's Sky' release date: Game delay caused by massive scale of 'infinite' procedurally generated galaxy?

Janna Dela Cruz 03 December 2015

US Playstation blog
    "No Man's Sky," the unique adventure survival video game everyone has been waiting for, won't be released this year. Unfortunately, developer Hello Games encountered technical hiccups during the production process that forced them to delay the launch to June next year.

It is no surprise that the title was postponed knowing its eye-popping scale. As stated in the game's website, the much-awaited sci-fi game features an "infinite" galaxy. Infinite purportedly translates to a total of 18 quintillion worlds, which means that tons of work is being done for the title and not everything will be easy to buff up.

Apart from that, the procedurally generated nature of "No Man's Sky" could be to blame for the game's delay. Before putting the game out in the open, Hello Games has to pass a tedious amount of optimization work to make sure that the game works on every platform it will be made available to.

Although all that already makes the game sound unbelievably gargantuan, Hello Games is going more ambitious by allegedly finding a way to make the title compatible with Virtual Reality's Project Morpheus headgear. There's no confirmation of this yet but it always was a possibility.

"There's nothing more cool and sci-fi than VR and a big procedural universe. I think that, for the people who want to just explore, and even for the space combat and things like that, it would be a good fit. Let's put it that way," Hello Games director Sean Murray once told Games Radar.

At the moment, the only explanation provided by the British game studio about the "No Man's Sky" launch delay is that it was caused by technical issues. Fans hope that there will be further clarification on the matter at the upcoming PlayStation Experience 2015 event.

It is expected that Hello Games will be there to talk about "No Man's Sky" and to probably showcase a bit of the game. The event will be held in Moscone West in San Francisco, California on Dec. 5 to Dec. 6.

Where was the release day before this delay? I already thought it was june 2016. :/

From memory, they originally said they were going to release it in 2015

I just had to go check anyway even, if I did ask. No... it was already said to be released at June 2016. It is said at the end of this video.

By 'infinite' galaxy do we mean like Minecraft's 'infinite' world? Because it keeps going on forever too.

By 'billions' of different creatures, planets, plants, etc. do we mean like Spore's 'billions' of different creatures, planets, plants, etc.? I would assume that this game would have a system in place to make the creatures look more unique rather than just "Oh look, there's that same mouth again, and there's that same giant claw again."
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From the demos and presentations they have had, it would be like if you had FTL travel in our universe. Each planet is supposedly unique, as are the lifeforms. And some planets have robotic life, or life that is not carbon based, etc.

How unique I think we will have to see as it gets closer to release. Personally, I got tired of Spore after a bit.
    If they do something like Spore, but just increase the number of possible 'parts' to like 100 or so for each part (and made them size and scale randomly), that would take quite a bit longer to get 'used' to. Of course I don't program games, so I don't know what they can and can't do. I look forward to it though.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see how this game is anything but... Well, a downgrade from spore in everything but graphics and a seemingly more in-depth space stage.

The game looks like it'll be moderately entertaining, but in the end it'll just be... Soulless. It's just a bunch of code a computer spat out.

And while that might work for games like minecraft or spore to some degree, it's because you can build and customize those things and make them something that's not just soulless randomness you're exploring.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2015-12-04 at 02:20 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Some very interesting things in there which could be put to good use elsewhere in the games industry.

Sadly randomly generated content. Even things with Mathematics as good as this all suffer from the same thing. And that thing is that they're usually incredibly shallow and bland things, just look at other games which try to randomly generate content. It just doesn't work.

I love the sound of how worlds are generated based on real-world logic, like how far the planet is from the sun will affect what it looks like and such. But there needs to be more to it than that to make it worthwhile to actually GO there beyond currency/experience/points.

Deleted
    I don't find any information, will there be pvp?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    I love the sound of how worlds are generated based on real-world logic, like how far the planet is from the sun will affect what it looks like and such. But there needs to be more to it than that to make it worthwhile to actually GO there beyond currency/experience/points.
    Yeah but is that... meaningful? Are you going to sit back and appreciate the accuracy of an ice planet's orbit?

Honestly that just seems like they're setting themselves up for more repetition... so many galaxies will have so many similar planets because all of those planets occupy some similar RNG orbit.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.